Idaho First Elk Hunt Success

Well it was a lot different than I imagined. We hunted the Selway unit in Idaho. The timber up there is so dense. So much deadfall. It took us a couple days to figure out how to hunt them. Still hunting was a no go. I don’t know how you can make it anywhere through that stuff. Moving 500 yards seemed like a daunting task. We got wise after a couple of days of trying to still hunt through it sounding like an excavator moving through the woods. We waited for the bugles and then went in after them. Probably a “duh” moment for most of the experienced elk hunters. It was a bugle fest between him and I. He was not happy another bull was around. My cousin said he was B-lining straight to where I was calling from. During my last bugle a shot went off and I heard my cousin say “He’s down, I got him”. The best and hardest hunt I’ve ever been a part of and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. What an excellent experience.
e178f5b4413cd36306dfe8615640e13e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Coohio! What a monster - I am heading to the Selway this October (From PA as well) and would love the opportunity to chat some strategy with you if you would be willing. Congrats again on a trophy!