Idaho First Elk Hunt Success

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
Well it was a lot different than I imagined. We hunted the Selway unit in Idaho. The timber up there is so dense. So much deadfall. It took us a couple days to figure out how to hunt them. Still hunting was a no go. I don’t know how you can make it anywhere through that stuff. Moving 500 yards seemed like a daunting task. We got wise after a couple of days of trying to still hunt through it sounding like an excavator moving through the woods. We waited for the bugles and then went in after them. Probably a “duh” moment for most of the experienced elk hunters. It was a bugle fest between him and I. He was not happy another bull was around. My cousin said he was B-lining straight to where I was calling from. During my last bugle a shot went off and I heard my cousin say “He’s down, I got him”. The best and hardest hunt I’ve ever been a part of and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. What an excellent experience.
e178f5b4413cd36306dfe8615640e13e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SemperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats! I'll bet that was a heck of an experience. I will be going to Idaho to hunt for my first time in a couple weeks for the B tag portion in the Weiser area. After hearing all the stories of folks getting it done with their bow I'm already looking forward to trying for archery next time while they're still bugling with at least one trip under my belt.

OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats! I'll bet that was a heck of an experience. I will be going to Idaho to hunt for my first time in a couple weeks for the B tag portion in the Weiser area. After hearing all the stories of folks getting it done with their bow I'm already looking forward to trying for archery next time while they're still bugling with at least one trip under my belt.

Yeah the Selway Unit is pretty unique in that you get to carry a rifle during the rut, although you aren’t shooting more that about 50 yards in any area we were in.

87TT

WKR
Just know it's going to be a real Zoo as there will bee twice as many hunters because of the fire closure. Between the forest closure and the Wilkes Bros., there is a lot less area to hunt this year.

SemperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just know it's going to be a real Zoo as there will bee twice as many hunters because of the fire closure. Between the forest closure and the Wilkes Bros., there is a lot less area to hunt this year.
Yeah, I've been watching the updates to the fire in 22 and getting very nervous about the impact. It would really suck to go for my first hunt and not be able to hunt because it's a parking lot. I don't understand the Wilkes Bros reference outside of understanding all the land they own and that they frequently gate public roads.

87TT

WKR
Yeah, I've been watching the updates to the fire in 22 and getting very nervous about the impact. It would really suck to go for my first hunt and not be able to hunt because it's a parking lot. I don't understand the Wilkes Bros reference outside of understanding all the land they own and that they frequently gate public roads.
It will be crowded. The Wilkes Bros bought all the timber company land (400,000 plus acres) that used to be open to hunting and is now posted and some access is blocked/ A large part of 22 is closed on State and Federal land or burned. So that puits more of the pressure on what's left.

OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
Great bull!

You can’t cheat the mountain

Definitely not. Our legs looked like we were being whipped by an army of people from munchin land. So many bruises and scrapes. A couple close calls sliding off of deadfall after the rain. Cousin almost put a limb through his thigh. Lucky to be in once piece

FlyGuy

WKR
Definitely not. Our legs looked like we were being whipped by an army of people from munchin land. So many bruises and scrapes. A couple close calls sliding off of deadfall after the rain. Cousin almost put a limb through his thigh. Lucky to be in once piece

Yeah, that deadfall is dangerous stuff! And 10x more dangerous when wet. It gets so tempting to log-walk when you are fighting your way through it. I'd bet deadfall accounts for one of (if not the) highest volume of serious injuries to backcountry hunters.

airbuds

FNG
Well it was a lot different than I imagined. We hunted the Selway unit in Idaho. The timber up there is so dense. So much deadfall. It took us a couple days to figure out how to hunt them. Still hunting was a no go. I don’t know how you can make it anywhere through that stuff. Moving 500 yards seemed like a daunting task. We got wise after a couple of days of trying to still hunt through it sounding like an excavator moving through the woods. We waited for the bugles and then went in after them. Probably a “duh” moment for most of the experienced elk hunters. It was a bugle fest between him and I. He was not happy another bull was around. My cousin said he was B-lining straight to where I was calling from. During my last bugle a shot went off and I heard my cousin say “He’s down, I got him”. The best and hardest hunt I’ve ever been a part of and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. What an excellent experience.
e178f5b4413cd36306dfe8615640e13e.jpg

Congrats! Things I love to see