Idaho Float Hunt

Dadnstuff

Lil-Rokslider
Hey All,

Considering a float hunt this fall for bear. I elk hunted the Frank a few years back, but didnt have much luck. It was late in the season, but there was some old bear scat. I know ungulate #s are down there, but seem to be plenty of bears/wolves.

Was considering floating the Middle Fork/Salmon for 5-7 days. Fishing and bear hunting along the way. Any info, past experiences, recommendations for other areas/rivers would be greatly appreciated.

Matthew

PNWGATOR

WKR
Would be an awesome trip. Check the permit requirements for what you’re planning:

good luck getting a permit for the middle fork, also are you whitewater capable and do you have all the gear to bring your feces out with you. the middle fork float requires all human waste to come out with you.
phenomial river, great whitewater.

are you going to fly in or try and float in from boundary creek? be prepared for lots of snow if you are doing it prepermit season, but you will still need a permit.

JRMiller

WKR
Like they said permitting is the issue.
I looked into once and didnt see it feasable, at least on the Salmon anyways.

it is more than permitting on the middle fork of the salmon, you have designated campsites that you can only stay in so long. The human waste and bringing out all garbage are things, that non river runners would not understand. Do you have a firepan, groover, strainer, are all required equipment. How you wash your dishes is dictated on this river, you must strain your dishwater and broadcast it above the high water line. Lots and lots of rules that you would never think about.

OP
Dadnstuff

Dadnstuff

Lil-Rokslider
It’s quite the understaking I see, and I thank you all for the input. Seems like something that needs a couple of years planning + permits of course.

I did a labor day weekend float on the middle fork in 2003. we flew into indian creek from salmon. great trip, but the river is so low, that people where getting stuck on rocks. I had a ball in my kayak bouncing them off of the rocks.

getting a permit is tough, as tough as getting any leo hunting unit.

Last edited:

Idahoguy

FNG
I thought after a certain date in the fall you did not need a permit. I may be wrong though.

slatty

WKR
If you end up doing the trip i'd be really interested in reading a write-up about it. I've considered the same myself as well.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I thought after a certain date in the fall you did not need a permit. I may be wrong though.
I was curious myself, so I looked it up. Per the recreation.gov website:

A permit is required year-round to be on the waters of the Middle Fork of the Salmon River, and only seven permits a day are allowed. During the lottery control season (May 28-Sept 3), only one permit per person is allowed.

The pre-season and post-season permits for 2021 opened up for reservation back in October. I guess they don’t want too many Roksliders hunting from the Middle Fork at one time.

sneaky

"DADDY"
There are permits open for the late season dates, but, it takes a big commitment to make sure you follow all those regulations, hunt and fish, and make it out before the river freezes over.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk