Idaho GMU 27 Early Elk Hunt

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any experience with Idaho's GMU 27 Early Elk Hunt? I know its not likely to produce a B&C bull, but seeing a good bull or two during a very remote backcountry deer/elk combo hunt would be enough to satisfy my hunting experience.

Its a beautiful area are there are elk, but they are spread out (not around every corner). Also like other areas, lots of wolves and the elk are skittish, non vocal.
At least thats been my experience. IMO its worth doing atleast once.

OP
Outdoorsman3830

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
I don't call in bulls, so non-vocal is no issue for me. I'm very picky about bull elk, especially since I've already taken good 6-point with a rifle, seen plenty of great bulls growing up, and just barely missed a 330 class bull with my bow last fall. Not to mention, a possibility of being 10+ miles deep means it better be a bull worth packing out.

Thanks for the response Actionshooter,

If you know it's not likely to produce a B&C bull and you are "very picky" about bull elk, then why are you looking into it? What season's are you looking to hunt and what standards are you looking for?

Mike

OP
Outdoorsman3830

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
Truth is, elk are second choice to deer. I don't expect to see a 320 class bull right away, but maybe after 4 or 5 seasons I might catch a glimpse of one up there. Deer have eluded me and for some reason I always run into bull elk even when I'm hunting deer specifically. I just plan on picking up an OTC elk tag while hunting deer in the same region and scouting an area for goats and sheep all in one. By choosing to hunt one area for 10 years or so where I can hunt deer and elk every year then potentially draw a goat or sheep tag later down the road is worth accepting that I will be less successful for having more success in the long run.

Some of the best bulls I've seen are down in 52A both early and late, not exactly a great deer unit and it doesn't offer the backcountry experience, challenge, and views. 27 is big, extremely remote, not hunted too hard, and has every species I want to hunt located within it.

OP
Outdoorsman3830

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
Now if you want to get in on a 320+ bull down in some nasty rocky sage brush filled desert with a bow in september, I could probably help you out. Give it a week with the focus being on elk hunting and there is a good chance you will get an opportunity to take a shot at one. But be warned, the sage brush desert does not compare to being camped at 9000 feet looking over some of most spectacular views.