Idaho Grizzlies?

gsimmons2

FNG
I’m likely headed to Idaho for the first time this elk season. Not asking for units or anything like that. Trying not to run into a grizzly though. From what I’ve read they are mostly in the central to northern part of Idaho. Anyone have any advice for a guy going into grizzly country for the first time? Hunted in the mountains my fair share but only had to worry about cats and black bears.

Sherlock

FNG
Adds another dimension to hunting for sure. Several attacks out West this fall. Hunted Central Idaho in the late 80’s & encountered my 1st grizz track. Didn’t really bother me until I heard they had begun to relocate problem bears to that area. All you can do is be prepared & aware I guess

slick

WKR
0e6db4f7246adaa34eefad907b9e0624.jpg

Don’t worry about them in Central Idaho.

It’s the panhandle, and likely Targahee Natl Forest in the SE, there could be bears outside of this, but not many.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
gsimmons2

gsimmons2

FNG
0e6db4f7246adaa34eefad907b9e0624.jpg

Don’t worry about them in Central Idaho.

It’s maybe the panhandle, but mostly likely Targahee Natl Forest in the SE.
Awesome, this is what I needed. Thank you!

Fullfan

WKR
Don't count the Salmon zone out. Several years ago, on 93 North of Salmon a Sow and 2 cubs were seen working on a cow elk that had been killed on the road. I have never seen any sign, but ran into a local who was fishing a remote lake in Sept. Chatted w him and asked why he was carrying a rifle while fishing. He responded that he had ran into a Grizz several days prior. It is Idaho and expect the unexpected...

Elk97

WKR
I've read several sources that say they are expanding their ranges rapidly so don't just go by a two year old map and figure you're safe. At least carry spray and assume they are around. Better safe than sorry.

Pwells10

WKR
Also pahsimeroi valley. I've talked to locals that are starting to see a few. (50,51,37a,37,29)

Also pahsimeroi valley. I've talked to locals that are starting to see a few. (50,51,37a,37,29)

No way. I haven’t heard anything about that.

I know of grizz in the Panhandle, Selway, Beaverhead Zone, and around Island Park but not really elsewhere. Sure hope they’re just random stragglers and no populations are established.

OP
gsimmons2

gsimmons2

FNG
I've read several sources that say they are expanding their ranges rapidly so don't just go by a two year old map and figure you're safe. At least carry spray and assume they are around. Better safe than sorry.
I'll definitely have bear spray at the very least!!

Pwells10

WKR
No way. I haven’t heard anything about that.

I know of grizz in the Panhandle, Selway, Beaverhead Zone, and around Island Park but not really elsewhere. Sure hope they’re just random stragglers and no populations are established.
That's what I was thinking. But couple of the locals, one being a trapper, said he sees one every year. Hopefully its just his old eyes but he swears by it.

270quest

WKR
I have hunted units 21 and southern 17 north of Shoup to the Montana border for 20 years....in 2006/07 time frame I was way in deep and cut tracks in a muddy creek bottom from a griz....was really eerie that day - just felt like I was being watched...however I havent seen a track since and all the people I have ran into up there havent either...thinking he was wandering through from further north.

Fullfan

WKR
270 Shoup now there is a forgotten hole in the wall. What is the name of that lil bar farther up the road. Broken saddle, or saddle something. Drove to the end of the road several years back, prob 100 trucks parked along the road. They all had the hoods open on the vehicles. Always wondered why?? Thought might keep the rodent out ??

270 Shoup now there is a forgotten hole in the wall. What is the name of that lil bar farther up the road. Broken saddle, or saddle something. Drove to the end of the road several years back, prob 100 trucks parked along the road. They all had the hoods open on the vehicles. Always wondered why?? Thought might keep the rodent out ??

Yes keeps pack rats and such out.

Terrapin

WKR
Seen a handful north of Sandpoint. Almost got munched back in the 90’s when I was cruising timber.

blfelts

FNG
There were a couple reports of em in the Clearwater this year but they were likely passing through. I agree with previous advice on here: carry spray, be aware of your food etc, and just carry on like they’re around (although relatively unlikely in the majority of the state).

cbiddle

Lil-Rokslider
I was in southeast idaho in September. Saw what I thought was a big black bear about 5 miles away with my binos. It was right before dark so I thought I would hike my ass over there in the morning and try and shoot a bear. Well got over there and cut a track and it was a damn grizzly track. I got the hell out of there as fast as I could. Lol

Last edited: