Idaho Grizzlies?

Just curious how/why does that work? Do they just not like being out in the open?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes it’s less like a den/home where they can pack away junk and it’s not as dark so it doesn’t interest them.

bstronger

FNG
I feel like the best thing you can do is not underestimate the environment. I am heading up for an archery hunt and will have spray and a handgun.

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
Also pahsimeroi valley. I've talked to locals that are starting to see a few. (50,51,37a,37,29)

Grain of salt, I haven't been there since '14 when I worked at the hatchery, but I recall there was a sighting near Salmon of a young boar. That's 6yo info, but I remember the wolves were a bigger topic. I've also got a buddy that still lives in Salmon, and he hasn't mentioned anything

We've bowhunted Beaverhead the last four years. We've seen grizzlies 2 of the 4 years. We're batting 1000 on black bears too. I carry a Glock 29, the old man carries spray.

I've got a buddy that's lived in Sandpoint for almost 20 years. He sees them (and wolves) all the time up there.

We've bowhunted Beaverhead the last four years. We've seen grizzlies 2 of the 4 years. We're batting 1000 on black bears too. I carry a Glock 29, the old man carries spray.

I've got a buddy that's lived in Sandpoint for almost 20 years. He sees them (and wolves) all the time up there.

Fairly close to Salmon or further south? Thanks for the info.

Pwells10

WKR
Grain of salt, I haven't been there since '14 when I worked at the hatchery, but I recall there was a sighting near Salmon of a young boar. That's 6yo info, but I remember the wolves were a bigger topic. I've also got a buddy that still lives in Salmon, and he hasn't mentioned anything
That's good to hear. I hope they're random sightings in the pahsimeroi. Might make me think twice about hunting solo in a tent up there again if they are expanding their range to the areas.

Tradit

FNG
Glad we don't have to deal with them here in Oregon yet. But, I'm sure there are some dingbats working on changing that.

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
I was texting my buddy in Salmon last night about this post and he forwarded this article. If nothing else, it’s a very cool read and food for thought

netman

WKR
There are grizzly bears in the Pioneer Mountains in Montana. The map doesn’t even show that as a grizzly area.

Marble

WKR
I think reading articles like this is fascinating. I read one a few years back about a wolverine traveling through California. Came from northern Idaho or Montana iirc.

35 years of hunting in bear country and never had a major issue. They are more afraid of us then we are of them. Ive never had a bear eat my elk or deer, or even seen tracks at a gut pile.

I did store the heart and liver of two elk in a creek, in a black hefty bag, in about 2 feet of running water. Bag was on the shore in the morning, meat gone, bear tracks in mud.

Never seen a grizzly while hunting either. Someday hopefully!

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
I was working for the NYSDEC when that lion got struck and killed in CT. It was pretty wild when they traced the lineage to the Black Hills and confirmed the cat had traveled all that way, I think someone in MA might have gotten it on trail cam too. Made for some interesting conversations about lions in the Northeast for awhile

Last edited:

Azone

WKR
No way. I haven’t heard anything about that.

I know of grizz in the Panhandle, Selway, Beaverhead Zone, and around Island Park but not really elsewhere. Sure hope they’re just random stragglers and no populations are established.

My partner and I were about 90 percent sure we found a griz in September of 2018 up in the Selway. The elk hunting sucked that week and we were starting to shop for black bears and we got the spotter on a big bear about 2 miles away. We didn't want to say it at first but the more we were looking at it we could of sworn it had a humped back (Swaro scope cranked almost all the way up). Odds are it was probably just a color phase blackie but it definitely was saying griz to us through the glass. We never did make it to the hill it was on, as a black bear in different location caught our attention, so we could not verify what the tracks would have told us. But we definitely take bear precautions seriously up there ever since.
You know anyone who has forsure seen one up there?