Idaho Grouse /Upland game

Rotnguns

FNG
New member from Idaho here!

I've been searching through the posts and have found very few regarding grouse in Idaho. Upland game season starts on Aug 30 in southern idaho and I've been checking out what used to be the more remote areas of unit 39 with my wife. I found the Wolf Summit/ Jennie Lake area very interesting with surprising elevation for this unit. One negative was the popularity of the hiking trail to jennie lake. Cars and trucks parked everywhere. Hopefully the popularity will wane as we near labor day. We did find multiple jeep/4x4 roads that we could access that would keep the casual hiker out. When my brother and his wife visit early sept I was planning on suggesting the jennie lake trail as a mellow walk and an opportunity to perhaps get a few grouse. Also, plan on taking my muzzleloader for the early doe season just in case.

Way back in the day, we used to hunt grouse and snowshoe hare right behind bogus basin near boise. This was actually quite a productive area for blue and spruce grouse (I think I have the species correct) but with the enormous expansion of the ski area, I'm not comfortable hunting there anymore.

Anyone else planning on grouse hunting in idaho at the end of the month?

Rob5589

WKR
Welcome! We hunt them during the archery elk/deer season. Tons of fun and damn good eating! Good luck!

JoeyP

FNG
Anyone know if you can you hunt grouse during riffle deer season in this unit. Or if an extra license is required?

Wassid82

WKR
hunting them can be good in pockets. They are good eating I pack a 22 pistol and subsonic shells for just he occasion when I'm out big game hunting

OP
R

Rotnguns

FNG
In Unit 39, the seasons overlap and you can hunt forest grouse with pistols and rifles.

I don't think a separate permit is needed but check with IDFG in case.

seww

WKR
To follow up on upland birds in Idaho.

I cannot find on the website about spring turkeys? I'll keep looking on there but wanted to check if anyone on here goes for them?

sram9102

WKR
I kicked up enough daily deer hunting that I'm planning on taking the suppressed 22 for next years trip. Could have easily killed a limit every day.