Idaho hunter stats

20200307_140543.jpg
I came across this article on IDF&G website a few days ago. Elk and deer harvest numbers were down (big surprise...), and hunter numbers were down as well. I've seen it stated many times in many threads that NR numbers are staying the same, while R numbers are increasing, but now we all know that this is simply a misconception. Last year Idaho sold every one of it's NR elk and deer tags.......sooo...it was actually R numbers that decreased. Interesting info.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the heads up bluetick. I grabbed the link https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/harvest-hunter-numbers-down-deer-and-elk-2019

I’m on my phone so I can’t look at the article and write at the same time, but if we are down 4200
mule deer hunters according to the article, but every one of the nonresident deer tag sold out, I would attribute that to more residents buying a second deer tag. So hunter numbers overall could be down, even though they’re selling out all those tags.

I could totally be misunderstanding this, but that was my take. @idahohikker might have a better grasp on this.

That’s why why you'll hear @Ryan Avery wanting them to do away with the second deer tag. A lot of resident hunters pick those up. Including me on many years. So as long as I can get mine, I support Ryan....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
B
It could be residents buying 2nd tags. I have purchased a 2nd tag a few times, I didn't think of the impact that could have on this statistic; but you're definitely right. I dont have a big problem with the 2nd tag, NR can start buying theirs Dec 1st and I cant buy one until July.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I, for one, like the option of the second deer tag if they don't sell out to NR. If the department has an objective as far as harvest numbers go, I don't see what difference it makes who gets the tags. Seems pretty simple to me, especially if I get mine before Robby.

Randy

Rob5589

WKR
It could be residents buying 2nd tags. I have purchased a 2nd tag a few times, I didn't think of the impact that could have on this statistic; but you're definitely right. I dont have a big problem with the 2nd tag, NR can start buying theirs Dec 1st and I cant buy one until July.
NR can't buy a 2nd tag until Aug 1, same as residents.

freebird

WKR
I understand those saying what should it matter if the resident kills two deer vs a nonresident killing one and a resident killing one.
I will never buy two tags because I can't even kill one. But the way I look at it, if the nonresident tags don't sell out and residents can't buy left over tags then thats a couple more bucks that survive another year for Robby to kill.....Or Tanya "The Boss" Avery.

Thanks for the heads up bluetick. I grabbed the link https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/harvest-hunter-numbers-down-deer-and-elk-2019

I’m on my phone so I can’t look at the article and write at the same time, but if we are down 4200
mule deer hunters according to the article, but every one of the nonresident deer tag sold out, I would attribute that to more residents buying a second deer tag. So hunter numbers overall could be down, even though they’re selling out all those tags.

I could totally be misunderstanding this, but that was my take. @idahohikker might have a better grasp on this.

That’s why why you'll hear @Ryan Avery wanting them to do away with the second deer tag. A lot of resident hunters pick those up. Including me on many years. So as long as I can get mine, I support Ryan....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, Robby. The 4,200 lower has to be mostly resident number drop since the nonresident quota/second tag pool is capped and sold out in recent years. Nonresidents and residents have been buying up the second tags since basically 2016 when they started selling out again. Hopefully we get a breakdown from fish and game with further info. It’s probably in the management plan, can’t remember.

What stuck out to me in the 2019 harvest data is that Eastern Idsho is in the tank again after the winters. Year 3 is just solidifying the trend. Survey data is similarly bad.

Outside of Eastern Idaho I wouldn’t say the winter kill has been similarly drastic. Maybe in 32/32a but those areas have poor age class anyway. Definitely seeing a bit of a drop in success rates everywhere at least but 2016 was riding the wave pretty high also so we just need to adjust expectations some.

Rob5589

WKR
What stuck out to me in the 2019 harvest data is that Eastern Idsho is in the tank again after the winters. Year 3 is just solidifying the trend. Survey data is similarly bad.

Outside of Eastern Idaho I wouldn’t say the winter kill has been similarly drastic. Maybe in 32/32a but those areas have poor age class anyway. Definitely seeing a bit of a drop in success rates everywhere at least but 2016 was riding the wave pretty high also so we just need to adjust expectations some.
My first time in Idaho was 2016 in 76 and we saw lots of bucks and several big ones, bigger than I had ever seen live. Since then, every year has been worse than the last.

Does anyone have a good handle on how they come up with the estimates (and the confidence around them)?

I only ask because I hunted Idaho for spring bear in 2008, and again for mule deer in Salmon/Challis last year. If hunter numbers were down, I’d damn sure hate to see a busy year!

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
My first time in Idaho was 2016 in 76 and we saw lots of bucks and several big ones, bigger than I had ever seen live. Since then, every year has been worse than the last.

Interesting observation, that was my same experience as well. UT has been the same way with deer and elk, again just my experience.

Does anyone have a good handle on how they come up with the estimates (and the confidence around them)?

I only ask because I hunted Idaho for spring bear in 2008, and again for mule deer in Salmon/Challis last year. If hunter numbers were down, I’d damn sure hate to see a busy year!

Mandatory hunter reports

Mandatory hunter reports

I’d still be curious on how they expand numbers or their confidence in results. Several western states have mandatory reporting but struggle to get them much higher than 80% (some much worse from what I’ve read).

I’m other words, are they certain that drop is real (and not noise within their framework)?

Maybe it’s no big deal... Could also be that I’m a sour puss for having about four dozen elk hunters crash the trailhead I hunted last fall 🤣.

OP
B
I have no idea how IDF&G concludes that there are less deer harvested and less deer available to harvest, but I believe them. After talking to many of my friends, most of them guides or ex-guides, that hunt see statewide, the consensus was that deer hunting was simply tough last year. Rob 5589 nailed it when he said that every year since 2016 has been worse. I hope IDF&G take their data and start changing some things to help the deer, but as many have said......winter manages deer in the West.

P Carter

WKR
It looks like elk hunter numbers were “down” 1.5%, which is not material and really stating constant. I know that in the zones I keep track of there was a big spike in numbers in 2013-2016 and has stayed consistently high since then.

I support being able to buy 2 tags.
I also believe that the resident buying 2 tags has a higher statistical percentage of both tags being filled, versus one resident and one non resident.

Hunter reports. Honor system. No way to prove or disprove what one submits. I'm sure most are honest about their submissions for the most part. I'm sure some aren't. Challis for deer in 2017 1429 hunters, 2018 1143 hunters, 2019 1243 hunters.

Last edited: