Idaho hunting license

mwebs

WKR
Boycott Idaho!!! I am starting a movement for all non-resident whiners, sign my petition and boycott elk hunting Idaho until prices decrease!! Supply, demand, inflation. We have elk, people want to archery hunt them, end of story. Hunt a different state if you don't like it, oh wait what do their licenses cost??

Boycott Idaho!!! I am starting a movement for all non-resident whiners, sign my petition and boycott elk hunting Idaho until prices decrease!! Supply, demand, inflation. We have elk, people want to archery hunt them, end of story. Hunt a different state if you don't like it, oh wait what do their licenses cost??

You guys are kind of missing the point. A non resident rifle tag will be $80 cheaper than a non resident archery tag. I don’t know what planet that makes sense on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mwebs

WKR
You guys are kind of missing the point. A non resident rifle tag will be $80 cheaper than a non resident archery tag. I don’t know what planet that makes sense on.

Ahhh, haven't thought of it that way. Although I only hunt archery elk at the moment so more for me right?

Rob5589

WKR
The 80 dollars is the one thing that makes no sense. Everything else seems reasonable. Realistically, 65 bucks isn't going to keep anyone away so no reason to get worked up over it.

Last edited:
Like it or not, I bet those 12,815 non-resident are still going to sell out by the time the elk seasons are over. It’s basic supply and demand, and I really don’t think anyone can fault IF&G for increasing the archery permit if they can create more revenue for the same amount of tag sales

Marble

WKR
I don’t see the ability to buy them online in my account right now. I’ve purchased already and thought that was it but logged into my brother in laws and they are not there. Must be a glitch.

If you fill out the affidavit from idaho about prior archery experience and licenses they will give your account permission to purchase an archery permit.

Had to go through that a month ago. She sent me a PDF. I printed it and scanned and emailed it back. Pretty easy.

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I don't like the money grab either or the NR quota reductions for my favorite zone. Have so many great memories in that area. However, I knew price increases and quota reductions were going to happen and have some great contingency plans lined up.

Heck I wasn't even going to hunt this year but a first time elk hunter asked me to help and there is no way I'll turn down an opportunity to help a Veteran get after elk...so Idaho will get my money yet again after all!

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Just today learned of the archery permit requirement and hunt there a week from today. I don't mind *too much* an extra fee (as they could just as easily bury it in the tag or regular license), but what I am irritated by is how NOT OBVIOUS it is that such a permit is required. Maybe something as simple as "Are you planning to archery hunt this year? If so, you have to take a bowhunter education class or fill out an affidavit." I would have done whatever was needed in January.

Does seem strange, to me, that you can apparently get out of the regular hunter safety requirement if you were born before 1/1/75, but there is no such old-timer rule for the bowhunting education requirement.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I don't care about the fee, I just wish it was more obvious on the site that it's needed, and how to do it. And it's not just me - the RS member who alerted me to the rule had similar comments, and I had another RS member PM me privately today to ask "what archery permit requirement?"

Don't worry, I won't be hunting where you will be hunting.

Mikedlaw

Lil-Rokslider
I'm confused. Isn't it printed multiple times throughout the regulations that an archery permit is required for archery hunts?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
You are correct sir, they do state that. The regs are a model of clarity of how to get the permit, and on how one demonstrates the proof required to get the permit, particularly if you are relying on this portion: "or show evidence of having been licensed for an archery-only hunt in Idaho or another state". Apparently I'm not the only one who buys their license and tags based on what is *usually* clear on fish & game website and before reading the regs. Tsk tsk

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
@Mikedlaw much to my chagrin, I have now learned of some other "surprises" in Idaho that I neglected to read before in the regs (rules against lighted nocks, rheostat lights on bow sights and prohibition of mechanical broadheads). Wanted to give you credit before I post separately to alert others are just as obtuse as me.

Smurph

FNG
my island park elk permit is the archery tag right? I dont need a special archery permit do I?

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Last edited:

Smurph

FNG
OK, I see that. Im calling Idaho G&F, I think I do not have the archery permit. Thanks a ton. Tim

Smurph

FNG
Well no luck getting through due to covid virus limited staffing. looked up my tag. It says Island Park A elk. shipped 4/17/2020. I also have a Depredation and hunt/fish license. Can't find any place about purchasing a archery permit? I do have my hunter ed Id number in my personal info.