Idaho- hunting with livestock proposal

You will never succeed. Those grazing permits are grandfathered in and the people involved care more about ranching than your hunting. An easier strategy would be to join the wolf huggers and pray more wolves will run the livestock out of the hills. Your government is more sympathetic to the pro wolf crowd than us Bambi killers.

Trust me I have tried. You can’t even get any cooperation when they break the rules let alone when they are within the guidelines of their permit. I had a cattle rancher, who was also a neighbor, running cows in my outfitting area. He was supposed to have his cows off the mountain by September 1. He grazed about 200. I could see a hundred in mid October and if I said something to the Forest Rangers all they would say is cows are cows he is allowed 10% stragglers after his dates pass. Sorry we cannot verify how many are still up there. They could be someone else’s.

Ranchers have friends and family that work for or with the Forest Service. Ranchers have friends in politics. Some ranchers are involved in politics. That right there tells you that your efforts are doomed!

They see it as simple as they are trying to make a living and we just want to kill $h1t. I know we represent millions of dollars to those states but that’s Fish and Game revenue and they have nothing to do with grazing. The ranchers and tree huggers couldn’t care less about hunters or the fish and game departments. So I hate to say it but sheep aren’t everywhere and you are better served by spending your time finding somewhere else to hunt.

And as someone above said... just move over a little when they pass through. If you hunt ridge A and the sheep herder rolls through there will be more elk over on ridges B and C so just go check it out. Good luck.

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
If you get to the spot you want to hunt where you’ve e-scouted, scouted or hunted in the past and you expect to find elk but find sheep instead why don’t you just move to the next closest area with comparable terrain. Chances are the elk have only moved far enough to find food, water, and less pressure.

I just don’t understand wanting to try and change someone else’s way of living that they have been doing that way for many many years so you can have a more enjoyable hunt/vacation/recreation time.

I graze cattle on a BLM allotment and trying to get them to let me change a winter pasture to a summer pasture or vise versa is near impossible. I don’t think you’ll succeed in what you are trying to do.

As for f#&%+@g the horse, I can’t side with the sheep herder on that