Idaho Late Season Archery Hunt!

Shrek

WKR
JuanID , how do you like the brunton eternas ? I got the 10x51's and they seem good to me for the money. I'm in florida and not much glassing to be done. As there are no canyons to glass for elk and deer in here I wanted your field opinion.

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
Dave, for the money I really like the Eterna's. I have been using mine for the last 5 or 6 years without issue and think they are good for the money. I have never done a side x side test in the field, but now that I have a little more of an income I have slowly started upgrading my equipment and binos are next on the list. My granpa owns a pair of Zeiss Victory's that are a couple years old and I really liked them. Just wish I had bought a pair when he did as he got a great deal on them at the time. Currently I am between the Zeiss Conquest HD and Vortex Razor... But when that time comes I will do everything I can to pick the best for my needs but that's still a couple weeks away. So for now my Eterna's will suffice! :)

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I know what you mean Juan, when the area you are hunting has that kind of potential, it's easier to get up every morning, hunt a little harder, pass up the nice ones, and just stay hopeful. After all, hunting deer, especially big deer, is a psychological game.

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
I totally agree robby, if you can get over the mental part part of the game you're that much closer IMO! However I am still working on overcoming the mental part, but I am getting closer! :) Unfortunately I didn't make it up today but I will be ready to go first thing in the morning! Gives me a little more time to get all my stuff in line for the trip out tomorrow morning and also go to my little sisters basketball games. She's goin to the "ship!" ;)

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
Well ladies and gentlemen, opening morning has arrived, and its pouring rain! I just woke up, gonna get dressed have a quick breakfast go fill up and hit the road!

Juan! I'm on my way home and can't wait to get down there next weekend! Save one or two for us, would ya! Im not going to be as picky as you! First decent buck to mess up is going for a ride back to Mtn Home. Lol. It's gonna be a fun hunt. Best of luck and keep us posted. Looking forward to meeting up, so if your in the area while we are down there please stop in. Take care and shoot straight!

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
Overall it was a good day, a few deer spotted. No real monsters but a couple decent ones... Update with a few pics to come shortly...

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
It all starts with the essentials!
FA789BDF-7100-481C-8DE8-94B45115E21E-5722-0000054E61EECEE2.jpg

Without these key items, chances of success are very slim! You got your pb&j sanwishes, Tom&Jerry fruity snacks, nutrigrain bars, and baby wipes! :)

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
I saw lots of this today! It was in and out pretty much the whole day til maybe 4pm!
65758B00-0F12-49A9-81CC-53955EFA33D7-5722-0000054E4E051F55.jpg

D5751B60-3D7C-479D-9D62-1B56D5D2AD4A-5722-0000054E4FBA2DCE.jpg

Every now and then the sun tried poking its warm face out! But the fog was just too thick!
0F24DF09-0D07-44A0-B26E-16F0810558A6-5722-0000054E55CDAE76.jpg

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
Yes lots of people... Road hunting, followed 5 rigs in and seen prolly 5-6 different ones once there. I had all of the mountain I was hunting on to myself tho! :)

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
Well a new day brings new opportunities... So lets see what today has uto offer!:) I'll be hunting the same general area just a different part of the mountain. Will update when I can!

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
Well, to say today was a sloooow day is an understatement! I was able to turn up about 50 deer but nothing of any size, mostly does with the biggest buck of the day being a 2x4 buck about 23" wide... Not quite what I'm looking for! I will have to look over some maps and see about hitting a different are next weekend, I think I may be too low in elevation, I have been between 6500' and 8100' and just haven't been able to turn up the size of buck I was hoping to. The unit offers some true high country hunting at 10,500'+ and I am beginning to think I may have to gain some elevation to find some of the bigger bucks in the unit... So til next weekend, good luck everyone!

VANDAL

WKR
Good luck Juan! This time of year a big buck could show any time any place. If your seeing a lot of does keep your confidence....its just a matter of time

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'd say the same as Vandal about the does. I'd add this: watch those close to rough country and cover the most. Big deer don't lose all their senses during the rut and love to have security nearby.