Idaho Late Season Archery Hunt!

RUTTIN

WKR
Keep at it Juan, the area I hunted two weeks ago had a lot of does, and a lot of small bucks. Within 4 days two mature bucks showed up and I got lucky and killed one with my bow. Keep at it, the harder you work, the sweeter success is. Good luck!

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for all the kind words guys! I am getting pretty pumped for this weekend of hunting! I just got back from my first ever "jackpot shoot" at my local archery shop, and wouldn't you know it, I was on the winning team! :) My partner, (Mark) shot a 291, and I shot a 284... I was pretty happy to say the least, we both walked away with 38 bucks, not too bad for never having met the guy adn although he carried me through for the win I'm still happy considering I haven't shot paper for several months haha. So I'm hoping my luck will carry on to tomorrow's hunt, so that I can atleast see a good buck! It was pouring rain here all day, so I'm hoping it dumped a little snow on the mountain! We will see how it goes in the morning! Good luck everyone!

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Well long story short I had a pretty slow day yesterday until about 12:30 when I spotted this on the horizon...

220BF595-5651-46A2-841F-5189572B8D1D-4970-0000051300E2D4C7.jpg

After watching them from the bottom for a while I continued up the hill and they let me get to within 200 yards when they proceeded to split up. The buck and about half the does went up and over the hill. I then circled around and came in from the top and found myself 60 yards from the buck! It was cold and being surprised he was within range I began to get the shakes! I sat there for a few minutes waiting for me shakes to calm and the buck walked in 10 yards closer. I drew back got my bubble level and stood to my feet at which point I seen a few does already bedded down now alerted to my presence... So I figured, well if I let down they'll booger. So I settled in on the buck, held a little fo the slight crosswind an touched the trigger... A clean miss! Yet again another time my tag should have been notched, and I blow it! Now I don't know if I didn't compensate for the wind enough or if it was just the fever, whatever it was I just stood there shaking my head, man I love bow hunting! :) I got one more weekend to try and get I done but not sure I'm gonna go out or not, we will have to see how I'm feeling later this week...
9C542CB1-7C09-495A-BEE5-4E93DC66C6A7-4970-0000051308BB06C8.jpg

Here's a pic of the buck and a few of the does after the miss at about 110 yards out, they the proceeded to the bottom of the canyon and out of sight.
36818149-D4DE-4E7E-81AA-F93EFA1FF880-4970-0000051303822C7B.jpg

muleyman

Lil-Rokslider
Thats a bummer man, but anyone that has hunted the late archery season before knows how tough it is to even get within bow range of a good buck. Good job and I hope u get another crack at it!!

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks guys, I am trying to stay positive! I for some reason have just had a hard time staying motivated to really get after it, and that's strange for me cuz I love hunting deer and just being in the hills! But I am very thankful for even being able to get out to the hills as much as I have been able to this season and also for the opportunities I have had. As badly as I want to get a buck, this season will be one to remember whether I notch my tag or not! I just don't know if I'll try the same spot in hopes of locating that buck again or just go for broke and try a completely different spot this last weekend as I about have myself convinced into giving it one last shot this weekend...

BigSurArcher

Banned
I've been following this thread but this is the first I've posted on it. Please give it another shot this weekend! Most of us are done deer hunting for the year, and you are all we have left to live through. What I would do to have another weekend of 2012 buck hunting... No reason to feel pressure to kill something, just be glad to have a valid tag still in hand, as I'm sure you are. I don't know what phase of the rut these deer you're hunting are in, but if there is still any action, my vote is to stick with that same group you were last on. Something big could have easily come in and taken that buck's does away and you know where to find them and what they like to do. If nothing else, that buck shouldn't be too far from where you last found him! Good luck Juan.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Juan, late archery hunting is tough- cold weather, alert deer, poor visibility- but as Bigsurarcher indicated, after this weekend, you'll be wishing you were hunting.

Shrek

WKR
Next week deer hunting will be gone and you will be kicking yourself if you didn't give it your all. I'll also second bigsurarcher about getting back on those known does and buck. The last weekend is not the time to start a new area. Next week would be a great time to look over new stuff for next year. The scouting I do the week after the season is some of the most important I do all year. But it is still hunting season so get on it !

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for all the extra motivation! I am convinced and committed to giving it all I got this weekend and possibly Monday! I don't know what I was thinking about considering NOT going back out this weekend?!?!? It's TOO long of a wait til next September, I need to take advantage of all the opportunities I have to get out and chase them muleys! :) Anyhow I'm looking forward to getting back out and looking for that buck or possibly another in the area... It looks to have snowed some more since last weekend so we will have to see how it turns out!

Shrek

WKR
Wow ! Juan , it sounds like you found your hunting mojo ! Some fresh snow and a refreshed attitude are the makings for a great hunt. Good luck ! :)

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Well, I went out this morning and gave it hell! Sat out in the fog for about 3 and a half hours after hiking a few miles hoping for it to clear so I could glass the area I seen the buck I missed in and the fog just stuck around too long and was too thick... So I hiked back down and took a drive around some low country and seen several does and little bucks but nothing to get excited about... I had intended on going up tomorrow but I'm thinking I'll just call it a wrap and do a few things around the house on my day off. Sorry it wasn't too exciting, but thanks to those that followed along. I look forward to bringing you guys along on my hunts next season... I can promise you they'll end differently! :) That is if the world doesn't end this week! ;)