Idaho late season rifle

My hunting buddy and I are looking for a first week in November OTC rifle hunt in Idaho. We both have tags in Oregon thru the 28th of October so the plan is to hunt round two in Idaho. We have no experience hunting in Idaho, but are fairly experienced backcountry hunters. Our biggest concerns are finding an area were their are Elk or Deer, excessive snow (some is great!) and crowds of hunters.

The zones we are looking at are Selway, Middle Fork and Salmon if we do an Elk hunt. Or if we decide to go the Mule Deer route we are considering 16a, 17, 19 and 20.

At this point we don't want to fly into the Church or anything too crazy our first year. We would rather hike in from the pickup somewhere 5-10 miles and set up our tipi tent and stove and explore the surrounding areas for a week or ten days.

At this point the Salmon River breaks looks interesting, Unit 20 and 20a, but we really have no idea. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
Buddy I see both of your posts on the Mule deer and Elk thread. I gotta be real when I say read the regulations first to be sure what your looking for even exists....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If your talking the November rifle season on the selway tags, there’s no access to the breaks except by going up and over the mountains on the magruder corridor or going thru Dixie. Unless you plan on getting there on snowmobiles I think your out of luck. Last year we got a foot of snow in two days in middle of September in there at 6500 feet.

They might not actually get that much snow, and you could drive in there and then have a storm roll in and not get your truck out until July.

Just my 2 cents as my Experience from last year getting snowed out of the selway zone after 4 days on a 10 day hunt in mid September

Salmon is out. Pick between deer and elk and PM me. Different recommendations depending on species. I'll point you at least to some productive general areas and/or help you find a place that you actually have access to hunt. Late season is no joke with the possibility of snow in the high country as mentioned before.

northjax

FNG
Same situation here. I was planning on driving up to Elk City and then dropping down between 19 and 20 from there. However, after reading LivetohuntID, sounds like that may be a no go? Any other access to 19 or 20 for Deer 8-18 Nov? Or is that more of a question of what kind of winter it will be? I'll also be heading up there for a first time hunt. Thanks, Jason

sneaky

"DADDY"
Isn’t 20a the only otc option for flying into the Frank since the tag crunch on 26 and 27?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The tag reduction was for deer tags, not elk tags

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk