Idaho Lighted Nock and Expandable Broadheads.

It sounds like a legislator is bringing a bill to go around the IFG Commission to implement lighted nicks and expandable broadheads.
Whether you are for against these makes no difference to me. A few of us warned about this same exact thing happening when the legislature went around the commission on the new wolf rules last year. Why bother having a commission when any one can whine hard enough to their legislators and get them to change the rules.
We let the camel get his nose under the tent last year. What’s going to happen when you get a couple of antis as legislators?

Chad E

WKR
It sounds like a legislator is bringing a bill to go around the IFG Commission to implement lighted nicks and expandable broadheads.
Whether you are for against these makes no difference to me. A few of us warned about this same exact thing happening when the legislature went around the commission on the new wolf rules last year. Why bother having a commission when any one can whine hard enough to their legislators and get them to change the rules.
We let the camel get his nose under the tent last year. What’s going to happen when you get a couple of antis as legislators?

Completely agree with you on the precedent set last year and the negatives that come with legislative wildlife management. I think we as sportsman should be really looking at the long game in these situations and cutting corners often has long term consequences associated with it even when seen as a win in the short-term.
Also elections have consequences we are seeing that all over the west right now.

It honestly kinda surprises me someone is so up in arms about lighten nocks and mechanical broadheads they would get legislators to push it. It be great if they put effort into something a bit more constructive.

ODB

WKR
It honestly kinda surprises me someone is so up in arms about lighten nocks and mechanical broadheads they would get legislators to push it. It be great if they put effort into something a bit more constructive.

Yes.

Maybe I should write my folks and ask why they have so much free time that lighted nocks and broadheads makes it to session.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I knew it would be a slippery slope as soon as they pulled the wolf bill fiasco. There's really no reason to put something as trivial as lighted nocks and expandable heads in front of a legislative assembly. I can think of a thousand other things they should be focusing on before that, and even then, it's not a burden on any person in this country to use a fixed head on an arrow with a regular nock. They need to stop listening to their idiot buddies in Utah.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TheTone

WKR
Good to see Idaho politicians working on important issues while people are literally losing there homes due to crushing property tax and home values, crazy inflation and rapid development

The slippery slope is very real but most Idaho voters couldn’t care less and they simply vote based on the letter behind a name and a “boogeyman “

Best thing I ever heard on lighted nocks was a podcast with Travis Turner where he said the only reason he used them was due to sponsors. Basically called them fragile junk compared to regular nocks

ODB

WKR

I could not find any reference to this. Do you have a link that has the proposal?

The problem is, the commission, how they are appointed and how long they sit.

Every damn one of them should be replaced. Time and time again they ignore the people who they are suppose to represent. Idaho Sportsman.

I’ll bet if you polled Idaho Sportsman, asked them, do you approve or disapprove of the job IDFG is doing, the approval rating would be in the 20%

You ignore your constituents wishes, time and time again, this will happen. IDFG is a joke. If they would have managed wolves as they were OBLIGATED to do, wouldn’t be here.

Legend

WKR
We have the same issues in Montana. Commision didn't listen to the biologists and went there own directions. Then the legislature came in and set new hunting regulations for wolves and tried to set regs for elk. This is a terrible precedent!

OP
Customweld
The problem is, the commission, how they are appointed and how long they sit.

Every damn one of them should be replaced. Time and time again they ignore the people who they are suppose to represent. Idaho Sportsman.

I’ll bet if you polled Idaho Sportsman, asked them, do you approve or disapprove of the job IDFG is doing, the approval rating would be in the 20%

You ignore your constituents wishes, time and time again, this will happen. IDFG is a joke. If they would have managed wolves as they were OBLIGATED to do, wouldn’t be here.
Just exactly what could IFG have done different in wolf management? We already had damn near year round seasons, unlimited tags and long trapping seasons. If any one is to blame, it's ourselves. I bet less than 1 percent of the guys bitching about wolves actually got off their asses and actually went out and hunted them.

Just exactly what could IFG have done different in wolf management? We already had damn near year round seasons, unlimited tags and long trapping seasons. If any one is to blame, it's ourselves. I bet less than 1 percent of the guys bitching about wolves actually got off their asses and actually went out and hunted them.

Aerial gunning, night hunting, thermals, all should have been allowed. That’s why legislation got involved.

How long were hunters/ranchers supposed to sit around and wait for IDFG to pull their heads out of their asses. Did they need another 15 years to figure it out.

IDFG should have looked at THEIR numbers, saw the population doubling over and over and did something besides sit back and see if it works out.

Year around seasons should have been implemented, unlimited tags. If you think they did everything in their power you are lying to yourself.

IDFG has stuck it to trappers, made it harder and harder to get new trappers involved… one day, all the trappers are going to be gone, and that skill dies and it isn’t coming back.

OP
Customweld
Aerial gunning, night hunting, thermals, all should have been allowed. That’s why legislation got involved.

How long were hunters/ranchers supposed to sit around and wait for IDFG to pull their heads out of their asses. Did they need another 15 years to figure it out.

IDFG should have looked at THEIR numbers, saw the population doubling over and over and did something besides sit back and see if it works out.

Year around seasons should have been implemented, unlimited tags. If you think they did everything in their power you are lying to yourself.

IDFG has stuck it to trappers, made it harder and harder to get new trappers involved… one day, all the trappers are going to be gone, and that skill dies and it isn’t coming back.
How are the harvest numbers so far this year? The last report I seen was the second lowest in 5 years. The new rules are not going to be the panacea that everyone thinks it is. Now we are looking at them being seriously considered for relisting, causing a huge financial liability for the state to fight in court.

TheTone

WKR

And that’s part of the slippery slope. How many legislators are either farmers/ranchers or are taking checks from them. One minute it’s opening the flood gates on wolves the next it’s needing to do those same things for all the “problem” elk raiding haystacks and farms. It’s already happened somewhat with holding fee bills hostage unless more depredation funds ante added, allowing farmers to keep animals killed on kill permits and allowing private land outfitters to not be licensed. I’ve heard part of the push now it is to find a way to get unlicensed private land outfitters set aside tags.

As others have said few people really try and kill wolves. I’d love to see those that complain the loudest take a fall or two off from deer and elk hunting and actually tried to hunt wolves

Mtnboy

WKR
How are the harvest numbers so far this year? The last report I seen was the second lowest in 5 years. The new rules are not going to be the panacea that everyone thinks it is. Now we are looking at them being seriously considered for relisting, causing a huge financial liability for the state to fight in court.

You can't bring reason and facts into this you know that.

I've said it 100 times but I can't wait to see what these guys say when the legislature starts going after the Elk that the ranchers hate. It's laughable and/or ignorant to think that they made the new wolf laws to help hunters, it had absolutely nothing to do with hunters and everything to do with appeasing the ranchers.