Idaho Lighted Nock and Expandable Broadheads.

Chad E

WKR
Does everyone bow hunt in Idaho with a recurve or longbow, or do they allow compounds with 75-80% let off and adjustable pin sights and drop down arrow rests?

The slippery slope was approached and slipped over a while back. Your arguments here are simply trying to hang on to your grip as ling as possible, but the tech creep Isn’t just electronic, lets call it what it is. Mechanical tech has crept in a long time ago.

While I agree we are there I can't fathom the solution being so screw let's let all tech in.

Gotta draw the line somewhere. I understand. Like said, not my state, not my business. Just genuinely curious

guys, i am not trying to tell idaho how to hunt or anything like that. I understand the concern for tech creep and “drawing the line” and all that, i do. And as i said i dont have skin in the game. I was just pointing out the lighted nock is not an aid to the shot, and to suggest that one thing is what will cause the issues you all are describing is a stretch. Does everyone bow hunt in Idaho with a recurve or longbow, or do they allow compounds with 75-80% let off and adjustable pin sights and drop down arrow rests?

The slippery slope was approached and slipped over a while back. Your arguments here are simply trying to hang on to your grip as ling as possible, but the tech creep Isn’t just electronic, lets call it what it is. Mechanical tech has crept in a long time ago.

This is how every one of these advancements gets touted and passed in Washington.

"It doesn't help the kill, it only helps recovering game", "It doesn't make the weapon more effective, it only opens up the opportunity to more users", "It doesn't increase the effective shot distance, it only makes it so those with aging eyes can continue to enjoy the sport", "It doesn't make hunters more effective, it just provides for a more quick and humane harvest", and on and on.

OP
Customweld
One more update for tonight:
From Brian Brooks on FB

Here is the latest on HB 507:
I just had a meeting with Rep. Mitchell. He is aware the Commission has directed the Dept. to enter rulemaking for lighted nocks and mechanical broadheads. Despite this, he still may not pull his bill. The hearing is still scheduled for Monday at 1:30.
The good news is you can testify remotely from your device. Tomorrow a link will be provided for people to sign up and testify on HB 507, which I will share when it is posted to the legislature's website.
Please consider setting aside some time Monday to listen in and testify. It's really easy and we need to show some opposition to this live, in addition to the letters already sent. If the bill is killed in committee, we can be done with this and go the commission route

nebs

FNG
I am baffled by this whole conversation. The last I checked our government is a republic, for and by the people. Is this a liberal thread? So if I understand it right many of you want to give dictatorial power to the commission no matter what the will of the majority of the people is in the state. The commission is not elected, and if the majority are being ignored by them, they are going to use the powers they have via our republic to change things. In 2020 a petition with many hunters signatures was brought to the commission to consider changing the rules on light nocks, it was denied. At some point the “majority” of hunters in the state should have a say and the commission should be sympathetic to it. It is no surprise that a bill has now been raised because IDFG listens to the minority. So the majority of hunters are calling their representatives and saying hey their becoming a dictatorship and won’t even consider our desire to have these tools. If you don’t want the legislation to get involved than the commission should take into consideration what the majority is asking for. This isn’t going to stop, and lighted nocks and expandable broadheads will one day be legal it’s only a matter of time, because the majority of people want it. Idaho is the ONLY STATE now that does not allow them.

nebs

FNG
Even Pope and Young in 2014 changed their by-laws allowing the use of lighted nocks for trophy animals entered into the record books. They have found that lighted nocks still fall within the “fair chase” standards that were set. Since that time 4 of the 5 remaining states have approved the use of lighted nocks. Idaho is the only one left.

Your desire to keep bow hunting 100% tradition is driving pushes to get legislation involved. When every state around you now allows lighted nocks, hell even we’ll known organizations like Pope and Young who are ultra conservative and traditional, are saying lights nocks meet the fair chase standard, than it’s a you problem. When you are so radical about the little things with no room for compromise, it makes people push harder. This is why people turn to their legislatures. It’s your own fault. Compromise on the little things so you can have a greater impact on the bigger things.

And yes it is possible to allow light nocks without allowing other electronics on a bow, such as a range finding sight. IDFG has regulations all the time just like this. For example, “Fish and Game rules prohibit the use a firearm "with any electronic device attached to, or incorporated on, the firearm or scope; except scopes containing battery powered or tritium lighted reticles are allowed." Therefore, laser rangefinding rifle scopes attached to a rifle would be illegal to use for big game hunting. A hand-held laser rangefinder is legal to use during big game hunting.”

sneaky

"DADDY"
I am baffled by this whole conversation. The last I checked our government is a republic, for and by the people. Is this a liberal thread? So if I understand it right many of you want to give dictatorial power to the commission no matter what the will of the majority of the people is in the state. The commission is not elected, and if the majority are being ignored by them, they are going to use the powers they have via our republic to change things. In 2020 a petition with many hunters signatures was brought to the commission to consider changing the rules on light nocks, it was denied. At some point the “majority” of hunters in the state should have a say and the commission should be sympathetic to it. It is no surprise that a bill has now been raised because IDFG listens to the minority. So the majority of hunters are calling their representatives and saying hey their becoming a dictatorship and won’t even consider our desire to have these tools. If you don’t want the legislation to get involved than the commission should take into consideration what the majority is asking for. This isn’t going to stop, and lighted nocks and expandable broadheads will one day be legal it’s only a matter of time, because the majority of people want it. Idaho is the ONLY STATE now that does not allow them.
Is that you Mr Mitchell?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Napoleon was right "In politics, stupidity is not a handicap"

CorbLand

WKR
When you are so radical about the little things with no room for compromise, it makes people push harder. This is why people turn to their legislatures. It’s your own fault. Compromise on the little things so you can have a greater impact on the bigger things.
Nope, dont think I will but I appreciate the offer.

Death by a thousand cuts comes to mind with this attitude.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
I don’t even know who Mr. Mitchel is. But if he loves freedom and not the suppression of it, I would support him.
He's the dumb ass who is sponsoring this legislation. At a time when the state legislature should be focusing on property tax rates, poor infrastructure for the exploding population in the state, residents being forced out of the housing market etc etc they decided they should take up lighted nocks and expandable broadheads. No one gives a crap what Washington does, what Montana does, what Utah does, or what Wyoming does. Pretty ironic that you create an account to come on here and support his stupidity.

I think I can agree with that. This whole thing to me is about a legislator circumventing the commission. With that being said, I think if lighted nocks and mb’s make it through, archery hunters are going to have to be prepared to lose opportunity with shortened seasons.
I doubt very seriously that they are going to have that big of an impact on their own. But when you add everything together such as faster bows, more time in the field, it’s all going to add up.

I just don’t see how mechanicals or lighted nocks will move the needle at all in regards to how many animals get killed.

I’m a gear whore and buy almost anything that I perceive will give me an advantage but don’t use mechanicals or lighted nocks where legal because I just don’t think they’ll help me be successful.

N.ID7803

WKR
So it looks like this is on its way to the house.

Can you imagine if they allowed expandable's in Idaho? The sky would fall and the old guard would come unglued. I've never been anywhere hunting and chatting with other older hunters that were more scared of something so meaningless being allowed than when in Idaho and talking about mechanical broadheads.

Life Member, Idaho State Bowhunters (whatever that means these days)

N.ID7803

WKR
Can you imagine if they allowed expandable's in Idaho? The sky would fall and the old guard would come unglued. I've never been anywhere hunting and chatting with other older hunters that were more scared of something so meaningless being allowed than when in Idaho and talking about mechanical broadheads.

Life Member, Idaho State Bowhunters (whatever that means these days)
Thought this was an interesting quote from the article.
"Jim Fredericks, deputy director of the Idaho Fish and Game Department, said the commission's resistance to technological improvements stems from concerns about "technology creep."

Mechanical broadheads make it easier for archers to hit targets from farther away, he said. Consequently, they allow hunters to kill more animals — which can only result in shorter hunting seasons or fewer tags being issued."

I just don’t see how mechanicals or lighted nocks will move the needle at all in regards to how many animals get killed.

I’m a gear whore and buy almost anything that I perceive will give me an advantage but don’t use mechanicals or lighted nocks where legal because I just don’t think they’ll help me be successful.

That was always their response, worry of shortened seasons because a certain broadhead style was allowed. It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian. There will be no increase in harvest due to a broadhead being allowed and to think there will be is laughable.

That was always their response, worry of shortened seasons because a certain broadhead style was allowed. It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian. There will be no increase in harvest due to a broadhead being allowed and to think there will be is laughable.
Exactly. I really hope they arnt so uninformed that they really think mechanicals will increase harvest rates. I think they’re just resistant to change.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Exactly. I really hope they arnt so uninformed that they really think mechanicals will increase harvest rates. I think they’re just resistant to change.
No, because as has been said a dozen times already in this thread. This is the foot in the door for technology creep, and our state legislature has far more important things to be focused on than expendable broadheads and lighted nocks.

Rob5589

WKR
Reading the article I came away with, the commission isn't listening to Idaho sportsman so the legislature is intervening on the sportsman's behalf. If that is truly the intent, what is to keep the legislature from intervening when Idaho anti hunting groups feel their concerns aren't being addressed? That is the slippery slope of the legislature circumventing the commission.

No, because as has been said a dozen times already in this thread. This is the foot in the door for technology creep, and our state legislature has far more important things to be focused on than expendable broadheads and lighted nocks.

Fish and Game isn’t doing their job so state legislature has too. Just like what happened with the wolves. It sucks but if they won’t do their job and listen to he people someone has to. You’re kidding yourself if you think dealing with this is going to get in the states way. No reason to make such a big deal out of a small issue. We’ll get it passed and move on. Fish and game caught on when the state picked this up and is putting it into discussion now. So, just by putting it on the block the state as got fish and game off their butts.