Idaho Middle Fork Zone

blsch72

Lil-Rokslider
I will be hunting the Middle Fork Zone from November 10th until about the 18th. I have also put in for a 20A deer tag, which, to my understanding is a 100% success rate. I will carry a bear, wolf, and mt lion tag as well.

So, I think due to the statistics of past hunts, I want to hunt 20A. What is everyone's advice? I don't have the money for a guide.
-What are good access points?
-Are the roads to those access points plowed or maintained?
-What temperatures are we looking at?
-Any thoughts on elk and deer movements that late in the season? (Those are my only possible dates, due to work)
-I would also be interested in thoughts on the predators in that area.
-Any other general information that you think would be helpful.

I have been on one unsuccessful elk hunt, and several back country mule deer hunts. So I know the basics, but any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Most people want to hunt in the wilderness to find more elk. Guys who are good hunters that don't have a honey hole in there often go weeks without seeing any elk. They don't know that the Frank and Selway have some of the lowest elk numbers in Idaho (due to uncontrolled predation on winter range and rocky soils) and it's unfathomably steep. No reliable vehicle access because the roads go to high elevation which has snow. Success rates highly influenced by the number of outfitter clients and fly-in hunters to some degree. You likely want to hunt elsewhere if your primary goal is to see an elk. If you just want to be in a really remote and scenic place, then it's for you. I'll PM you some of the few feasible options for access.

Last edited:
OP
B

blsch72

Lil-Rokslider
It has been pointed out to me that this is probably not the best zone. So if anyone has any recommendations about other zones to try to trade my tag for, I am open to suggestions. I would prefer to hunt elk and deer but it's not a deal breaker.

I do have this tag though. So if anyone has recommendations on where to go in this zone, I would appreciate that as well.

87TT

WKR
I don't know where you get 100% success at except the three muzzy hunters. Your dates are going to be at the end of the season so the "easy" bulls will be hanging. Then there's the weather. I have seen it snow in the middle of September here so be prepared for weather. Snow and steep ground can really up the suck factor.

If mid to late November is your only window- I’d trade that frank tag in for one with some accessible public. I don’t know what’s still open that late as the tags / units I hunt closed by then. The general statewide deer tag would probably be better than that unit 20a. You would be able to get around and see some country and get a feel for what tag you want next time or if there will even be. Next time.

Wyoming for whitetails and maybe antelope (again got to see which lope tags still open that late) would be my game plan if that was the only window of time I had and I was flying By the seat of my pants after having abandoned plan A.

Whatever you do there’s about 99 reasons not to hunt the Frank in mid November solo without support or firsthand knowledge of the area and winter back country camping and travel.

Last edited:
OP
B

blsch72

Lil-Rokslider
The 100% was drawing success. Every year that I have seen everyone who applied got a tag.

OP
B

blsch72

Lil-Rokslider
If mid to late November is your only window- I’d trade that frank tag in for one with some accessible public. I don’t know what’s still open that late as the tags / units I hunt closed by then. The general statewide deer tag would probably be better than that unit 20a. You would be able to get around and see some country and get a feel for what tag you want next time or if there will even be. Next time.

Wyoming for whitetails and maybe antelope (again got to see which lope tags still open that late) would be my game plan if that was the only window of time I had and I was flying By the seat of my pants after having abandoned plan A.

Whatever you do there’s about 99 reasons not to hunt the Frank in mid November solo without support or firsthand knowledge of the area and winter back country camping and travel.
I am currently looking into outfitters that will do pick up and drop off only. So if that changes your answer, I'd be open to hearing areas to hunt once I'm in.

Otherwise, do you have specific recommendations on zones to hunt. I was originally looking into Montana but all those tags got snatched up and the wait list looks a little long to hope for a returned tag. This was the best option for hunting that was available when I could buy tags. Best option being, it was open during the dates I can hunt.

OP
B

blsch72

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have thoughts on areas 8-1 or 8-2, 29, 30, 36 B-1, 44, 48, 50, 51, 66, 68?

I know that's a big list, but those are the controlled hunts with reasonable draw likelihood and are open during the times I can hunt.

jmcd22

WKR
I would caution you against anything in the south central part of the state after this winter and the winter of 16/17. That area has had an awful winter with a lot of winter kill for both deer and elk. There are a few threads here and on other sites that show just how bad the winter kill was. The herds, or what's left, need a break and I would imagine you would like to see something as well. Hopefully that helps narrow your list. Good luck!

sneaky

"DADDY"
I don't know where you get 100% success at except the three muzzy hunters. Your dates are going to be at the end of the season so the "easy" bulls will be hanging. Then there's the weather. I have seen it snow in the middle of September here so be prepared for weather. Snow and steep ground can really up the suck factor.
100% success on drawing the tag, not kill percentage lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

crossone

FNG
8-1 and 8-2 have some elk but lots of private land issues. 66 is way overhunted due to proximity to Idaho Falls and general tags. I don’t know much about 68 but would opt for one of the others.

There’s almost no access to Unit 20-A anymore since the bridge went out that crosses the Salmon River. You’re looking at either paddling a boat or raft across the river (big and moving pretty fast so that’s an issue), walking 15 to 20 miles just to get to Unit 20-A by coming in by crossing the Bighorn Crags, then crossing a foot bridge to cross the Middlefork of the Salmon then at least another 5 to 10 miles back to the east to get into Unit 20-A. Or walking 20 miles into your unit by coming down Monumental Creek or Big Creek. There is a lodge across the Salmon River near Corn Creek that might ferry you across for a fee. It’s One of the most inaccessible areas in Idaho.

Last edited:
If you are committed to the MF zone in November, check with the air services out of McCall. They will fly you in to the airstrips and drop you off. All of the units in the MF are accessed by high altitude, snow prone passes. My family used to have a lodge in Big Creek and more than once I was woke in the middle of the night with an urgent "pack up we need to go" . Best of luck in there. If you end up going , you'll remember it for the rest of your life!

530Chukar

WKR
8-1 and 8-2 have some elk but lots of private land issues. 66 is way overhunted due to proximity to Idaho Falls and general tags. I don’t know much about 68 but would opt for one of the others.

There’s almost no access to Unit 20-A anymore since the bridge went out that crosses the Salmon River. You’re looking at either paddling a boat or raft across the river (big and moving pretty fast so that’s an issue), walking 15 to 20 miles just to get to Unit 20-A by coming in by crossing the Bighorn Crags, then crossing a foot bridge to cross the Middlefork of the Salmon then at least another 5 to 10 miles back to the east to get into Unit 20-A. Or walking 20 miles into your unit by coming down Monumental Creek or Big Creek. There is a lodge across the Salmon River near Corn Creek that might ferry you across for a fee. It’s One of the most inaccessible areas in Idaho.

Couldn’t have said it better. Little to no access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

blsch72

Lil-Rokslider
So, even the air taxis are saying they can't fly that late.

What about switching to selway? What kind of access is there? I know it's a good deer zone. We would hunt for cow elk for the first couple days and switch to deer as the elk season closes. November 8-18.

Selway a good deer zone? Selway cow tags???
What access point to the selway were you planning on using? Have you identified any of the access points yet or.... is the entire post just a stab in the dark?

Good luck this year! I hope you enjoy your fall

Last edited:
OP
B

blsch72

Lil-Rokslider
Indeed I am. Idaho isn't the easiest to cross reference data for.

Google each one of those tags by name that isn’t sold out
“Selway zone A tag” etc. click on the link to that tag at IDFG website to find out about it. Including access, private accessible land, season, legal animals, etc.
do that for each tag remaining on the list.

Then...note that there are 4000 or so tags remaining for all other zones. Go to this page and scroll down to the map. Type the names of each zone into google and go to the idfg page for them.

In this way you will easily be able to find what tags are open and where they are for the time you have allocated for this hunt.

I private messaged you all this. And I even told you what elk tag And what deer tag I would hunt and why if I was in your shoes. It’s easy man.

Seems like your stubborn a little bit. Your working harder to avoid the research than doing the research is.

Edit: maybe that’s not A fair assessment but it’s how it appears

Addendum- for those who might chime in and say “this is doing the research” I would say that this is more akin to borrowing another students notes than doing the research. Or like showing up to the study group without your materials- thinking you can just go off everyone else’s

Last edited: