Idaho Middle Fork Zone

OP
B

blsch72

Lil-Rokslider
I have done that, that's not the information I am looking for.

I am looking for first hand advice on access to a zone and what it looks like on the ground as I have never been there. Middle Fork looks like a good zone on paper. There's roads around the edges that look ok on the map. But get on here and people say it's not passable roads.

I have done the research and am looking for first hand experience of how accessible Selway is. I ask the questions I need the answers to. All that information you just typed does not answer my question.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

GregB

WKR
So, even the air taxis are saying they can't fly that late.

What about switching to selway? What kind of access is there? I know it's a good deer zone. We would hunt for cow elk for the first couple days and switch to deer as the elk season closes. November 8-18.

Idaho is pretty easy to reference. Go to the IDFG website and read the regulations. Selway is an antlered only unit, and the tags for the November hunt are sold out. If you had done research you wouldn't be talking about hunting cow elk there. Stop trying to get everyone else to do the work for you. IDFG website.

tttoadman

WKR
All the research I did made my first year that much more rewarding. Find your inner map geek and dive in.

OP,
Pilots will drop on 11/16 if you want and pick you up at least as late as 11/20. I know that from experience. If you are hearing otherwise, you are talking to the wrong guys.

OP
B

blsch72

Lil-Rokslider
Idaho is pretty easy to reference. Go to the IDFG website and read the regulations. Selway is an antlered only unit, and the tags for the November hunt are sold out. Stop trying to get everyone else to do the work for you. IDFG website.
Again, looking for first hand experience about that zone in particular. Not looking for anyone to cross reference anything.

OP
B

blsch72

Lil-Rokslider
What taxi did you use? I have talked to Middle Fork air and emailed Gem air and McCall air. The last two haven't responded to me. There's also not a lot of raft companies who will entertain the idea and all the outfitters will only take you back if you pay for a guide.

OP
B

blsch72

Lil-Rokslider
All the research I did made my first year that much more rewarding. Find your inner map geek and dive in.

OP,
Pilots will drop on 11/16 if you want and pick you up at least as late as 11/20. I know that from experience. If you are hearing otherwise, you are talking to the wrong guys.
What taxi did you use? I have talked to Middle Fork air and emailed Gem air and McCall air. The last two haven't responded to me. There's also not a lot of raft companies who will entertain the idea and all the outfitters will only take you back if you pay for a guide.

Sounds perfect. Too bad my November is booked.

As far as all the information I typed not helping- you don’t have to tell me- I know it didn’t help, because you came back here with “selway cow hunting followed up with some of that damn good selway deer hunting”

I don’t need to tell you how to get to the selway cuz you can’t hunt cows there anyway so it doesn’t matter. The sad fact is - if you find looking up what tags are available and what they are for and how to achieve access too daunting- the actual hunt isn’t going to happen -you will find a reason to quit. DO NOT fly in somewhere and lose your ability to bail out. You lack the fortitude for such an endeavor.

Google selway Drop camps, as a November tag will be coming from the outfitter pool anyway at this point....

Last edited:
I have done that, that's not the information I am looking for.

I am looking for first hand advice on access to a zone and what it looks like on the ground as I have never been there. Middle Fork looks like a good zone on paper. There's roads around the edges that look ok on the map. But get on here and people say it's not passable roads.

I have done the research and am looking for first hand experience of how accessible Selway is. I ask the questions I need the answers to. All that information you just typed does not answer my question.

I'd be interested to know what paper you're looking at. Both zones are below management objectives for elk. Both zones got pounded with snow late this past winter which is terrible for deer. Both zones are primarily Wilderness areas (you can read that as very limited predator control at best). In both zones the topo lines are stacked pretty close together. Both zones are in the mountains of Idaho so weather really can't be planned other than it'll probably be the weather you didn't plan on. Both zones are very limited for access, especially once snow starts to fly.

Roads are simple to figure out. Anything that's a Forest Service road that doesn't have a decent size trailhead at the end, you can't plan on being maintained for use even in dry weather. Any road beyond where people are living full time, isn't going to see a plow unless it's on the way to a ski resort.

For a solo hunt on foot that you can't scout ahead of time they're probably the 2 worst zones you could pick. Throw in the time frame and the likelihood of snow and about all you can really plan on is misery with a side of mediocre hunting at best. The only reason the Selway and Middle Fork are known today in the hunting community/world is for what they were 20+ years ago.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'd be interested to know what paper you're looking at. Both zones are below management objectives for elk. Both zones got pounded with snow late this past winter which is terrible for deer. Both zones are primarily Wilderness areas (you can read that as very limited predator control at best). In both zones the topo lines are stacked pretty close together. Both zones are in the mountains of Idaho so weather really can't be planned other than it'll probably be the weather you didn't plan on. Both zones are very limited for access, especially once snow starts to fly.

Roads are simple to figure out. Anything that's a Forest Service road that doesn't have a decent size trailhead at the end, you can't plan on being maintained for use even in dry weather. Any road beyond where people are living full time, isn't going to see a plow unless it's on the way to a ski resort.

For a solo hunt on foot that you can't scout ahead of time they're probably the 2 worst zones you could pick. Throw in the time frame and the likelihood of snow and about all you can really plan on is misery with a side of mediocre hunting at best. The only reason the Selway and Middle Fork are known today in the hunting community/world is for what they were 20+ years ago.
He won't listen. He's already made up his mind. Recommend that he buys an InReach.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Selway access is a little better as middle fork access. Not say it won’t kill you anyway. Even in the spring

Here’s the helicopter that fished the one boy out flying him back to the funeral home in kooski. Wish I had a camera other than my iPhone

f9c2883869aa031987bb155992795a99.jpg

Last edited:
One that's skewed heavily by outfitter stats

Outfitter stats!!! I've told people that until I'm blue in the face. You're so right on with all you've posted Sneaky. There are 9 outfitters in one unit in the Middle Fork alone. More in all the other zones and the Selway.

The OP is a nice guy. I've chatted with him via PM. He just had no idea about the roads not being maintained and being snowed that time frame.

BFry

FNG
Hi all,

I put in for the 20A deer tag, and will be going for the adventure and hopes of finding some animals. I understand there are better tags/options, but this is what fit my schedule for a mule deer hunt.

Don’t need any info on locations or access, have been doing my homework on that front. Now, I’m trying to narrow down places within a few specific drainages. But, I am curious if anyone has first hand experience on deer forage in mid-November? Do most deer in the Middle Fork zone transition into eating Sagebrush later in the season? Or are they still hitting deerbrush and bitterbrush?

I’ve spoken to some of the local biologists and they seem to think deer will still be dispersed across higher elevations (6,000-8,200 ft) during this period, and will typically push to lower elevations (~4,500 ft) in December. I’ve also heard contradicting evidence of deer congregating at elevations around that of Big Creek (~4,000 ft) in a nearby unit during November. Obviously they will be starting to rut during this time, but any thoughts or first hand experiences of deer behavior during mid-November in the Middle Fork zone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, BFry

Hi all,

I put in for the 20A deer tag, and will be going for the adventure and hopes of finding some animals. I understand there are better tags/options, but this is what fit my schedule for a mule deer hunt.

Don’t need any info on locations or access, have been doing my homework on that front. Now, I’m trying to narrow down places within a few specific drainages. But, I am curious if anyone has first hand experience on deer forage in mid-November? Do most deer in the Middle Fork zone transition into eating Sagebrush later in the season? Or are they still hitting deerbrush and bitterbrush?

I’ve spoken to some of the local biologists and they seem to think deer will still be dispersed across higher elevations (6,000-8,200 ft) during this period, and will typically push to lower elevations (~4,500 ft) in December. I’ve also heard contradicting evidence of deer congregating at elevations around that of Big Creek (~4,000 ft) in a nearby unit during November. Obviously they will be starting to rut during this time, but any thoughts or first hand experiences of deer behavior during mid-November in the Middle Fork zone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, BFry
Listen to the biologist. The good bucks will be up high still most likely.

GregB

WKR
Hi all,

Thanks, BFry
Welcome to the forum.
Usually if they congregate in lower elevations it's on private if the snow hasn't pushed them down. Elevation depends on how much snow there is, it takes a fair amount to move the bigger bucks. Even if there is not enough snow to move the bucks down there will probably be enough to make getting to them an issue.
You also might get more response if you posted this in the Mule Deer forum as opposed to the Elk.

BFry

FNG
Thanks, it’s good to be on here. Lots of great content and information.

Thanks for the comments and advice.

Hmm, that high elevation is going to be “interesting” in November...

Luckily most of the lower elevations in this unit are public land, but very gnarly with unconsolidated lithics and cliff faces that will probably make stalking very tough. I’ve always heard the magic number for deer to push down lower is 15” of snow (whereas elk are closer to 24”), which is possible in November and would make access brutal.

Thanks for the help, sorry I didn’t mean to hijack this thread.

Thanks, it’s good to be on here. Lots of great content and information.

Thanks for the comments and advice.

Hmm, that high elevation is going to be “interesting” in November...

Luckily most of the lower elevations in this unit are public land, but very gnarly with unconsolidated lithics and cliff faces that will probably make stalking very tough. I’ve always heard the magic number for deer to push down lower is 15” of snow (whereas elk are closer to 24”), which is possible in November and would make access brutal.

Thanks for the help, sorry I didn’t mean to hijack this thread.

Super high for deer and elk normally compared to where you’re expecting them more towards lower winter range. Gnarly country is right and some sketchy spots as you gain elevation or stalk. Access is essentially limited to plane or boat. I’ve hunted the 20a/19/20 area in mid November. Your reward for working and freezing your butt off is a 160” buck if you’re lucky. Poor habitat and major competition from other hunters using be river. Go if you basically want to punish yourself in beautiful country.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Super high for deer and elk normally compared to where you’re expecting them more towards lower winter range. Gnarly country is right and some sketchy spots as you gain elevation or stalk. Access is essentially limited to plane or boat. I’ve hunted the 20a/19/20 area in mid November. Your reward for working and freezing your butt off is a 160” buck if you’re lucky. Poor habitat and major competition from other hunters using be river. Go if you basically want to punish yourself in beautiful country.
Sign me up lol