Idaho Moose Help?

I'm trying desperately to decide on a good unit for an Idaho archery moose hunt. It will take some time to draw but such is life. So, should I go after the units with better odds which appears to be the panhandle area or the Southeastern part of the state with lower draw odds?

The panhandle appears to have lower moose numbers accompanied with thicker terrain which equates to tougher hunting.

While the Southeastern area has better moose numbers and more open terrain.

Yep, that's my dilemma!! Lol

Ntuttle15

Lil-Rokslider
I personally wouldn't say that about the panhandle. I've seen way more Moose up there than on the eastern part of the state. Its just different terrain and they hide cause its nasty thick. The eastern part of the state had a lot of tags cut because their population is struggling so bad.while it was the general Moose tags that were cut. I gleaned that the external part took the most effect. All of the cow tags.

I've talked to several people who had those eastern idaho tags that were ultimately disappointed cause the numbers were so low.
Unless you draw 54..... thatd be nice

Hopefully this helps add more confusion

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Huntforever
Do you know of any really good guides for moose in the panhandle area?

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
You can kill a moose in any open unit in Idaho if you are willing to hunt. The hard part is drawing a tag. If you really want to hunt look for remote units with best odds.
I drew a 12 unit (no longer exists) back in 2005, and killed a nice bull. Back then the remote units had left over tags every year. Yes you read that right. Left over moose tags.