Idaho moose.

WAres

FNG
I got super lucky and drew a moose tag in Idaho in unit 10a-2. The biggest thing I’m struggling with is whether to be picky or not. Is there enough moose to pass on a few or better take what is offered. I’m going to hunt super hard but people keep saying the wolves have killed the area. Anyone have any knowledge of this area?

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just stay positive. Set a goal and don't back down.
I hunted the far panhandle 2 years ago, ended up killing a bull but was very frustrating at times.
Have a good hunt and don't forget to let us no how it goes!.

seww

WKR
Just go for the younger bulls, much better meat.
During the rut, we don't even look at bigger bulls. They reak of piss and no fat whatsoever.

My 2 cents anyways... But of course everybody want that big trophy to mount.. I couldn't care less, I want good meat! :)

OP
W

WAres

FNG
I’m not going to be overly picky. My unit I’m hunting isn’t know for trophy’s. I just want to enjoy this experience and have some meat!

seww

WKR
Isn't that what hunting is about? Being outdoors, away from people and especially family :) and maybe getting a kill for some good eatin during the year.

Can't wait, our moose hunt starts on 9/7 but we're hunting from 9/12.

Good Luck!!

I’m not going to be overly picky. My unit I’m hunting isn’t know for trophy’s. I just want to enjoy this experience and have some meat!

If the area is wolf infested I would stick to areas within a mile or less of people. Campgrounds, trailheads, etc. That mixed with some beaver sign is where I see a lot of moose in Idaho. I think the moose feel safer as the wolf is the more constant predator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reggart

FNG
If the area is wolf infested I would stick to areas within a mile or less of people. Campgrounds, trailheads, etc. That mixed with some beaver sign is where I see a lot of moose in Idaho. I think the moose feel safer as the wolf is the more constant predator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats good advice and also what I'm seeing in Northern Idaho.

OP
W

WAres

FNG
Wolves are in the area for sure. It sounded like the trappers did a good number but I’m think there is plenty around. The weather cools this weekend so that should help.

Just go for the younger bulls, much better meat. During the rut, we don't even look at bigger bulls. They reak of piss and no fat whatsoever.

No fat = good meat. Fat = beef & pork. I never add fat to my wild game. defeats the whole purpose.

seww

WKR
No fat = good meat. Fat = beef & pork. I never add fat to my wild game. defeats the whole purpose.

To each his own I guess. I never add fat either, but I use the fat from the animal for the flavor. And butter, loads of butter!
Wild game usually have the fat on the outside of the meat/muscles while beef (cows) have it in the meat. But I'm by far no expert :)
A rutted bull moose, have fun and enjoy! I'd stick with the smaller ones. Even though one day I'd like a big trophy, but in September, before the rut.

DMurphy

FNG
How did this hunt go? Had the wolves blown out the area? I have a chance to elk hunt that area in 2021, but I am hearing bad things about the number of wolves really knocking out the elk heard.

OP
W

WAres

FNG
How did this hunt go? Had the wolves blown out the area? I have a chance to elk hunt that area in 2021, but I am hearing bad things about the number of wolves really knocking out the elk heard.
This hunt was tough. Wolves are there but the wolf trappers wiped them out pretty good last year so there didn’t seem like any packs were around. Just singles. But every time we found fresh elk tracks, there was wolf prints. I don’t know much about elk hunting but that country is huge and we weren’t impressed with what we saw for elk. If it was me personally, I wouldn’t elk hunt it based on what I saw unless you live there and can spend all summer scouting to try to stay on top of them but it seemed they moved a ton. I did get my moose but it took 19 days of hunting to find my bull(the only one I saw).

Laramie

WKR
This hunt was tough. Wolves are there but the wolf trappers wiped them out pretty good last year so there didn’t seem like any packs were around. Just singles. But every time we found fresh elk tracks, there was wolf prints. I don’t know much about elk hunting but that country is huge and we weren’t impressed with what we saw for elk. If it was me personally, I wouldn’t elk hunt it based on what I saw unless you live there and can spend all summer scouting to try to stay on top of them but it seemed they moved a ton. I did get my moose but it took 19 days of hunting to find my bull(the only one I saw).
Share a Pic? We love to see moose success photos.

Laramie

WKR
It was 42.5in wide. A trophy for my unit. It was a hard hunt but it made the once in a lifetime opportunity that much more special. It was just my dad and I on top of the mountain.
Appreciate it! Nice bull.

Ntuttle15

Lil-Rokslider
Thats a good bull! I'd be happy with it for sure!

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk