Idaho Motorized Hunting restrictions?

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
This will be my third year hunting Idaho. Ive moved around units to see where I like and find one I can get comfortable with. This year I have run into new rules, the Motorized Hunting. Personally, I think it is awesome. To many places have gates that people just go around anyways. Nothing worse than hiking a mile to check a trail cam to have an ATV on it where they know not to be. But anyways, I do have a trail bike that would be nice to pack something out. Can somebody explain in simple terms how it is? My understanding, you can’t hunt off of them even on motorized (motorcycle) trails, if you even so much as raise binos to look it’s considered hunting. But, can run on NF trails for retrieval?
Thanks guys!

Note: I am sitting here with the rules pulled up but thought real world application may be better explained.

mwebs

WKR
If you want to use a Moto to aid your hunting then don't go to a non-moto zone? Seems like a stupid question. I wish this was how the rule was actually written and followed but not even close so I guess not a stupid question...

The law is a joke and totally not enforced come on in and do whatever! But yea there are some intricacies to know if you want to utilize the rules the way they are written to your benefit.

OP
Gun&BowSD

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think it was a stupid question. I’m not hunting off of it, I just wanted to know if it could be used for recovering on NF trails or if they shut those down during the season. Be nice to pack one mile to a trail than five miles back to camp. I guess the other part of my question that maybe I should have specified is when I do hike in X amount of distance to avoid moto’s, is there still going to be people out mad maxing around, not “hunting”, but really they are?

Randle

WKR
So you are hunting one of the units in orange?
Then it seems that it is considered an aid to hunting and needs to be used on established open roads.
If you are also asking about others, yep there is always the "that rule isn't for me types"

sneaky

"DADDY"
Those rules are different in theory than in practice. If there's a trail anywhere near where you want to go, someone will be on it. People who aren't hunting can be on any motorized trail at any time. You can use your moto to take camp in and set up, just can't hunt off of it beforehand... unless you're bird hunting. It's a joke in reality. Don't think that it's going to limit people you see on those trails.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mwebs

WKR
A unit I used to hunt was non motorized. Was hunting a canyon with some good elk, no trails and you had to access by climbing over a good sized ridge. One morning I hear a couple engines in the bottom and go to investigate, run into an old guy and his overweight grand daughter from Iowa whose wearing perfume and jeans. I asked how they accessed the area, knowing they had driven through private and off road to get here. The old guy said the hard way, over the ridge. I looked at him and shaked my head, followed the four wheeler tracks that went right through two wallows to their rig. Called the warden and he told me the local judge won't prosecute for those violations because he didn't believe in the rule. Haven't hunted that unit since, apologize for a kind of dickish first response, seen this rule abused a lot and it has pissed me off.

Sneaky gives a good narrative on how guys use the rules to their advantage or to get around the intent of the rule.

OP
Gun&BowSD

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
I feel that story. Which is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I hunt on foot, and nothing pisses a guy off more than busting his ass to climb 2 grand elevation hiking in the dark 3 hours to have someone come ripping up where they shouldnt be. Boils my blood man. Here in the Black Hills of SD to find a sanctuary from motos is so hard and even then people still blaze through on closed trails. Long stoy short I’m not trying to be that guy, or do anything that is going to jeopardize the generous opportunities in ID, which I am extremely grateful for. So I’m just trying to understand and play by the rules, actually play by them. I just wish others did the same.

There’s already multiple items above that are incorrect. Call and talk to fish and game. Be real nervous on a road that’s not labeled for full size vehicles. I know a guy who’s been popped for this.

mwebs

WKR
Here is what the warden confirmed to me: For the purpose of hunting you can only travel on trails/ road labeled on the FS maps, they must be passable for a full-sized vehicle but not labeled for full size use because that doesn't exist, unless your talking about the labeling of roads and 4x4 roads.. Certain trails/roads will be closed with signage and that should correspond with closure dates on the map. None of that matters if someone is packing in camp or retrieving game, apparently even on closed roads. In short its a joke rule and the good ole boys in the units that had this applied decided they weren't going to obey and the local judges, prosecutors, etc. apparently feel the same so there is nothing the warden can do. I wish the rule worked as intended because it would allow guys that want to put in work to have some good areas, away from guys in these units, but it doesn't.

Here is the rule: https://idfg.idaho.gov/old-web/docs/hunt/atvBrochure.pdf

sneaky

"DADDY"
There’s already multiple items above that are incorrect. Call and talk to fish and game. Be real nervous on a road that’s not labeled for full size vehicles. I know a guy who’s been popped for this.
Multiple units I've hunted have trails open year round for motorcycles. Point out what you think is wrong with what's posted. I've watched guys shooting grouse that have ridden up on dirt bikes several times. I've met many people who rode in and set up camps. Just curious as to what you think we posted that was bad info because F&G sure as hell isn't enforcing these regs in every unit. Those motorized regs apply to big game hunting. Leaf peepers can ride all they want on open trails, been there, seen it first hand.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I thought I had the rules figured out and now I’m starting to second guess myself. I thought that you were allowed to take a motorized vehicle on any trail down which a full sized automobile could travel as long as you were packing in camp or packing out an animal.

So theoretically you could take a dirt bike down a Jeep trail, but couldn’t take it down a single track dirt bike trail.

OP
Gun&BowSD

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
That was where I was confused too. The full size vehicle part. The way I was reading it was “so, you have to keep a motorcycle on full size roads?” I ended up just calling a GFP officer to clarify. The guy was extremely helpful and said the motorized rule was the most violated thing they come across. He mentioned all the types of trickery in above mentioned comments, that they see right through it, and the frustration that is voiced by other hunters. Sounds like those guys really have the short end of the stick trying to make sure everybody plays by the rules. Basically I’m going with my plan A, not even using it unless it is for retrieval.

That was where I was confused too. The full size vehicle part. The way I was reading it was “so, you have to keep a motorcycle on full size roads?” I ended up just calling a GFP officer to clarify. The guy was extremely helpful and said the motorized rule was the most violated thing they come across. He mentioned all the types of trickery in above mentioned comments, that they see right through it, and the frustration that is voiced by other hunters. Sounds like those guys really have the short end of the stick trying to make sure everybody plays by the rules. Basically I’m going with my plan A, not even using it unless it is for retrieval.

Yeah I’ve never worried about it because I either hike it on foot or pedal a mountain bike to where I need to get. That’s probably why I about half know what the rule actually is since it doesn’t really affect me.

horniac

FNG
That regulation is very confusing and ambiguous!

So, to sum it up, if I understand it correctly, you can hunt on any legally open two track with any motorized vehicle (i.e. motorcycle, atv, utv, jeep, pickup). However, if it is a single-track (i.e. motorcycle trail) or a ATV trail, say open to vehicles less than 50“, then you can’t drive on it to glass, drive on it to reach a hunting spot, drive on it to drop off hunting partners, etc.

The exception to this would be to drive your motorcycle/ATV/UTV on it to set-up your hunting camp or retrieve game. So as an example once your camp was set-up on a road not open to full size vehicles, you would leave your motorcycle/atv/utv parked there and be restricted to hunting from camp by foot. If you glassed, parked along the track somewhere to hunt via foot, or shot from the track while on your way to setting up camp or on the way out you would be illegal.

Is this the general gist of the regulation? Applicable to deer, elk, antelope, sheep, moose, mountain goat only...

Horniac

OP
Gun&BowSD

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
That pretty much hits the nail on the head. I can’t confirm the species specific, I know big game, but bird hunting is different. But yeah, solid explanation. After my phone call with the officer that is my exact take as well.

I did a hunt in northern idaho a couple years back and never saw even a sign of anyone daring to go around the gates with atv's and drive into the far reaches on the fire roads.

That said, it was a really difficult area to hunt with heavy coniferous cover, so a quad wouldn't have done anyone any good, really.

IdahoHntr

WKR
That regulation is very confusing and ambiguous!

So, to sum it up, if I understand it correctly, you can hunt on any legally open two track with any motorized vehicle (i.e. motorcycle, atv, utv, jeep, pickup). However, if it is a single-track (i.e. motorcycle trail) or a ATV trail, say open to vehicles less than 50“, then you can’t drive on it to glass, drive on it to reach a hunting spot, drive on it to drop off hunting partners, etc.

The exception to this would be to drive your motorcycle/ATV/UTV on it to set-up your hunting camp or retrieve game. So as an example once your camp was set-up on a road not open to full size vehicles, you would leave your motorcycle/atv/utv parked there and be restricted to hunting from camp by foot. If you glassed, parked along the track somewhere to hunt via foot, or shot from the track while on your way to setting up camp or on the way out you would be illegal.

Is this the general gist of the regulation? Applicable to deer, elk, antelope, sheep, moose, mountain goat only...

Horniac

This is the most accurate assessment of the rule in this thread.

To understand the rule you need to understand that there are different types of legal travel on all trails and roads. Forest service maps will tell you what types of travel are allowed on each trail. This law specifically applies to roads that are restricted to vehicles that are 50 inches or less (4-wheeler only, or motorcycle only trails). These trails can still be used by those out riding for fun, but if you are hunting then they can only be utilized for packing camp in and out or packing out meat. This does NOT allow you to utilize closed trails. If a trail is closed (seasonally or otherwise) then you can't be riding on it whether your hunting or not. This law only applies to 50 inch or less trails that are open during hunting season.

In summation:

50 inch+ trails - Legal at any time as long as it is an open road or trail
50 inch or less trails - Legal for trail riding as long as they are open, not legal to hunt off of. Only taking camp in and out and retrieving meat.
Closed trails - Closed to all motorized traffic whether you are trail riding, retrieving meat, or taking in camp.

Now whether the law works, is a whole different story. I have shot an elk right in the middle of one these "closed" roads and have seen many elk around them in certain areas. I hunted these areas before this law took effect and it has definitely improved the hunting in these areas. I have also had experiences where hunters completely disregarded the rules and ruined my hunt because of it. So it really can go either way.

If everybody would follow the rules, I honestly think it is an awesome opportunity. It gives hunters on foot more access to the backcountry if they know they only have to pack meat 3 miles back to a road rather than 10 miles back to a trailhead. Everybody doesn't follow the rules though and you can still have people out trail riding, so I wouldn't count on not running into any motorized vehicles back there. Don't be afraid to utilize them for retrieving game though as that bull I shot in the road was one of the most comfortable 5 mile pack outs that I've ever had!

horniac

FNG
Thanks for clarifying IdahoHntr and glad you were able to use the rule to retrieve your bull!

So essentially you just follow whatever land use agencies motor vehicle use plan/map (i.e. MVUM for NF) to determine what roads/trails are open and to what seasons/vehicles they are open to with the added caveat that a road/trail that is not open to full size vehicles is also closed for motorized hunting. Then add the camping/retrieving game exceptions.

It seems like a regulation with good intentions and from what you have experienced is working to improving the big game hunting. It just seems like it is poorly written and confusing and can be legally worked around. For example;

What is considered a full-sized automobile?
Answer: A full-sized automobile is any motorized vehicle with a gross weight in excess of 1,500 pounds.

So a side x side less than 50” wide that exceeds 1500# opens up that trail to motorized hunting for ATV’s and motorcycles as well. Probably not the regulations intent.

Seems to me it would have been clearer to just write the regulation to say motorized big game hunting is legal from any motor vehicle when operating on any open road/trail/track that is open by the respective land use agency to motorized vehicles >50“ in width. Illegal to hunt big game from ANY motor vehicle on any road/trail/track otherwise open to motor vehicles <50” wide with the added camping/game retrieval language.

IMO, as written it is very confusing and could be subject to different interpretations depending on what warden you ran into. If you are riding in with your camping gear and you saw some animals and stopped and raised your binoculars just to look at them it could be interpreted that you were engaged in the act of hunting and therefore be in violation of this regulation. What if you don’t know the area and are driving here and there on your ATV with your spike camp gear and gun looking for a good spot/area to camp? A warden could say your were actually engaged in the act of hunting and issue you a citation.

It just seems as written this regulation is hard for hunters to correctly interpret and would likewise be hard to enforce. If it is not enforced then it just penalizes the guys like you that are just trying to do it right.

Reading the regulation it also looks like E-bikes would be legal to hunt on the roads not open to hunting due to this regulation?

What is considered a motorized vehicle?
Answer: Idaho statute defines a motor vehicle as
any water, land or air vehicle propelled by means of steam, petroleum products, electricity or any other mechanical power. This includes pickup trucks, jeeps, SUVs, UTVs, cars, three-wheelers, four-wheelers, motorcycles, snowmobiles or other similar vehicles.

Note E-bikes are not included in the list of prohibited motor vehicles.

Horniac

IdahoHntr

WKR
I agree that it is confusing and should be listed in a more clear way to avoid any confusion. I think some people riding roads they aren't supposed to, just simply don't understand the rule and aren't trying to do illegal things. All the more reason to read the rules and ask questions before you get into the woods.

As far as E-bikes, I feel like your own quote solves that issue:

Idaho statute defines a motor vehicle as any water, land or air vehicle propelled by means of steam, petroleum products, electricity or any other mechanical power. This includes pickup trucks, jeeps, SUVs, UTVs, cars, three-wheelers, four-wheelers, motorcycles, snowmobiles or other similar vehicles.

If it is powered by any sort of mechanical power it is considered a motor vehicle. E-bikes fall into that category and so are considered motor vehicles. The examples are just examples and not an all inclusive list.