Idaho mule deer draws

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Lil-Rokslider
I understand the 2nd draw. On the first draw you have a 1st choice and a 2nd choice. Very seldom are any good tags left for the 2nd draw. I had always put unit 40 as my first choice and unit 22 as my 2nd choice. But if they don't look at your 2nd choice then why even put one down.
they will look at your second choice,But not until all the first choice tags have been filled ,so if you pick a high demand area its a waist, But if you pick a area that is not sold out in first choice you have a chance. I had that 42-41 archery tag last year. was not my best hunt. I think we would have done better in 40. at least thats what some of the locals told me.
I glad they don't have a point system . all the point system does is make it harder to get any tag. I just put in in Wyoming in a unit that will take 6 points, I hunted there 7 years ago as a left over. If i have good hunt and want to go back I can figure 12 years to get back there.and its not that good of unit. I 55 now and thinking my point days are coming to a end.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Preference points systems suck. I'd rather have a bonus point system like Nevada has than our system any day of the week. I don't think you understand how looking at both of our choices before moving on to the next hunter would work.

Drawing computer generated number 27 might not get you one super hard to draw hunt you put in for your first choice but it sure as hell would give you an excellent chance at drawing your second choice. Now you have no second choice at all even if you were lucky to get a low number. Why even have a second choice?
Nevada draw odds suck. Sure you want to build 25 points and have a 0.16% chance of drawing?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cbarrie

FNG
I’ve only ever used the 2nd choice option on unlimited tags for pronghorn. A lot of times in the regs it will say that an unlimited mule deer tag is first choice only so I don’t even bother.

IdahoHntr

WKR
I'm one who does not like the way Idaho does their draw with the two choices. Lets say you get a low computer generated number ie: 27. Lets say with your first choice you put in for a hunt with only 10 tags and all of them are filled before they get to 27. They should look at both choices as you might have another high demand hunt that you would likely draw with your second choice and that low number. They way they do it now is they will just pass you by.
Why do they even have two choices if there is no way to draw your second choice?

You're getting too caught up in it. The 2nd choice is a remnant of the past when some hunts, especially antlerless, went under subscribed. It still comes in handy for some antlerless hunts (extra doe/cow tags) and unlimited hunts that don't require a 1st choice. Idaho makes you choose what you want most. It always has and always will. It doesn't make sense to give a tag to someone who had a hunt as their backup plan (2nd choice) when there are people who want that hunt as their 1st choice.

excaliber

WKR
The odds here on drawing one of the best controlled hunts are close to the same odds. In Nevada you can archery hunt Mule Deer every year as a resident and the NR odds are pretty good too in many areas. Too many people don't understand how Nevada's system works.
Nevada draw odds suck. Sure you want to build 25 points and have a 0.16% chance of drawing?

sneaky

"DADDY"
The odds here on drawing one of the best controlled hunts are close to the same odds. In Nevada you can archery hunt Mule Deer every year as a resident and the NR odds are pretty good too in many areas. Too many people don't understand how Nevada's system works.
I haven't seen a hunt in Idaho that even remotely resembles the shitty odds of Nevada. I started applying in Nevada 4 years ago for a hunt you could draw with 0 points, 1 at the worst. 4 years later i'm chasing point creep and tag reductions. The only people who are for point systems are older hunters who don't care if it ruins the odds for their kids and grandkids, and politicians who are making money off of it. You have a chance EVERY year in Idaho. 2% is bad, but it isn't 0.016% bad like Nevada. Just admit it, YOU want a tag and you could care less what it does to everyone else's chances. Good luck, you'll get one premium tag about every 25 years after the points system settles in.

sneaky

"DADDY"
BS on hunting every year in Nevada in a good unit, forget it as a NR. We are well aware of how their system works. If you like their system then why haven't you relocated for the great deer hunting? Nevada is a long term strategy, idaho is all about opportunity. Be careful what you wish for.

jmcd22

WKR
I haven't seen a hunt in Idaho that even remotely resembles the shitty odds of Nevada. I started applying in Nevada 4 years ago for a hunt you could draw with 0 points, 1 at the worst. 4 years later i'm chasing point creep and tag reductions. The only people who are for point systems are older hunters who don't care if it ruins the odds for their kids and grandkids, and politicians who are making money off of it. You have a chance EVERY year in Idaho. 2% is bad, but it isn't 0.016% bad like Nevada. Just admit it, YOU want a tag and you could care less what it does to everyone else's chances. Good luck, you'll get one premium tag about every 25 years after the points system settles in.

This. I love how people bitch and moan about never getting a tag but still beat their heads against the wall applying for the same units year in and year out and wonder why they can't draw. They say it isn't fair this or not fair that but it really boils down to exactly what you said. They just want a tag and do not care what it does to everyone else.

270BBD

FNG
I have never drawn second choice unless I put in for unlimited. But I still put a second choice just in case something crazy happens.

wyo_gasman

Lil-Rokslider
Wyomings draw odds for residents on LQ tags is stupid, at least for the good ones. The bright side is, the general tag is as good or better than most LQ's.

what the second draw choice is best for would be going for a hard draw first, then a second choice unlimited or easier to draw backup hunt. Just look at 2nd choice draw stats on the idfg draw odds, that will let you know if you have a shot at a second chance hunt or not.