Idaho Mule Deer Hunt with David Long

OP
D

david long

Just spotted a small four point in his bed. Not sure if you can see him or not but his muzzle is center of photo.
attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

david long

The far patch of trees is where he is at.
attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

david long

Way too many does and fawns in this area. Elevation of this mountain ranges from 8000-9000'. Bailed off mountain. Headed to a different area that ranges between 9000-10,000'. There will be fewer deer but better odds of finding a good buck.

Way too many does and fawns in this area. Elevation of this mountain ranges from 8000-9000'. Bailed off mountain. Headed to a different area that ranges between 9000-10,000'. There will be fewer deer but better odds of finding a good buck.

Do you mind explaining that a little more when you get a chance?

OP
D

david long

Belly deep, don't get me wrong, obviously there could still be good bucks in the area with all the does and fawns, but I have killed all of my bigger bucks in areas where there are very few deer. If I am finding lots of does and fawns, I keep moving higher in elevation until i get away from them. That is generally where I tend to find the bigger bucks.

Now if it was November, that would be a different story:)

Belly deep, don't get me wrong, obviously there could still be good bucks in the area with all the does and fawns, but I have killed all of my bigger bucks in areas where there are very few deer. If I am finding lots of does and fawns, I keep moving higher in elevation until i get away from them. That is generally where I tend to find the bigger bucks.

Now if it was November, that would be a different story:)

Do you think that is because of the country itself (does and fawns don't like it) or is it that big bucks try to get away from other deer?

And at what date does that rule no longer apply? I know at some point, before the rut hits hard, the bucks do move closer.

OP
D

david long

It is not necessarily the elevation, it is that 200" class bucks are extremely solitary animals. They don't like lots of activity going on around them. I simply prefer to go higher in elevation rather than trying to find that isolated little basin at lower elevations where a buck might be hanging out. The higher elevation also allows be to make better use of my optics because I can see a lot more country.

OP
D

david long

I would hardly call it a rule but starting the first week of November is when I typically start looking for the large bucks to start showing up in the areas with does.

OP
D

david long

As stated earlier, I wanted to check out the country between 9000 & 10000' in elevation. But, rather than hiking up a mountain and hoping that I find a buck, I found a vantage point that literally allows me to glass several miles of mountainside. This is something I do frequently and it greatly increases my odds of finding a good buck. Here is a partial view from my vantage point. I will sit here until dark.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350593820.919392.jpg

OP
D

david long

From 1-3 miles away. Just spotted two deer. Doe and dawn.

OP
D

david long

Here's a mountain goat approximately four miles away:)

Can't even see him with binoculars. Found him with spotter

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350600857.473402.jpg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
We can all learn a lot from this thread! My new favorite thread, too.

We can see the goat. He looks a little light-horned, though.

OP
D

david long

Yes, kind of what I was thinking Robby. Lol.

Swarovski 10x32 EL
Swarovski 20-60x HD 65mm spotter