Idaho Mule Deer Hunt with David Long

D

david long

attachment.php

Finally! Just arrived in Idaho. Stopped and bought my deer tag and am heading to the hills in pursuit of mule deer.

I have until the 24th to get it done. I will give updates as often as I can.

I will be hunting Southeast Idaho. Not exactly great areas, but you never know.

Gonna go get in a couple of hours of glassing before dark. I will check in later.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

david long

As I drove through Wyoming, all the mountains had snow. Was hoping for the same in Idaho - but none! Looking at the forecast, might have a chance at getting some in a few days.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How much snow was there in Wyoming? I leave to elk hunt tomorrow, and that will dictate strategy.

OP
D

david long

Didn't appear to be a whole lot but the Wind River, Wyoming and Gros Ventre Ranges all had snow up high. By the time I got to the Hoback country there was none. All the peaks were bare.

OP
D

david long

Currently watching two hunters put a stalk on a small herd of elk. Looks like a couple of rag horns.

OP
D

david long

Wow, it is cold!

Glassed some low country this evening and saw two herds of elk, one bull moose and two does.

Went to cook dinner and realized I forgot matches and couldn't light my Coleman stove. Really cool! Finally got it lit using my Jetboil. Shortly after, regulator froze up. Long story short, ate cold brats.

Going through equipment and loading daypack now. Gonna sleep at trailhead and plan to be on top at first light.

Saw a few bucks in this area last year so I figured it would be a good place to start.

The plan is to do day hunts in different areas each day.

OP
D

david long

attachment.php

One hour hike with headlamp. Sitting on top waiting for the sun to make its entrance.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Some of the coldest I have ever spent were like that. The ground is cold, the binos are cold, that is until you find one worth chasing...

OP
D

david long

attachment.php

Three layers of wool and one goose down layer for insulation while glassing this morning.

Lots of critters. Small herds of elk everywhere. Lots of does and fawns and a couple of small bucks.

Beautiful country.