Idaho Mule Deer Hunt with David Long

GRAYLIGHT

FNG
Was anything even close? 170'zzz ish? at all??? Tag soup is not the tastiest but you gave it hell... It was fun to watch n read... Safe travels home.

OP
D

david long

The largest buck was 165-170. Not enough to even get a guy excited

OP
D

david long

J-rod....would have been fun to have you in camp. Next year.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Those units up there, especially 67, were greatly affected by the 07/08 and the 10/11 hard winters. Some of the highest mortality in the state. Not an easy hunt by any standard!

Way to give 'er hell David!

OP
D

david long

The views on I80 are not nearly as good as my views were in Idaho:(
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351041373.766952.jpg

I learned a lot following your hunt! It is extremely helpful to see how you approach finding a mature buck in the same general conditions I am faced with (wind, rain, snow, and few mature bucks). I have a few more days at work and then plan to be out Friday through Sunday glassing hard for a shooter buck on the Wasatch back using tips I learned on this thread. But unlike you, if a 170 buck gets too close, he will be in a world of hurt!

I think I speak for a lot of folks on the forum and would really find a backpack live hunt extremely helpful.

Take care and drive careful!

Rockey

FNG
I agree with Provoflyfisher and others, if you can get service during a backpacking hunt that would be outstanding. I too have learned a lot from your hunt David and I really appreciate it. It is the little things that separate the best from the rest and learning those types of things comes from a thread like this one when you don't always have highly experienced people to hunt with and learn.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you guys haven't read Davids book yet, i would highly t recommend it. It is a wealth of knowledge!

I have read David's book multiple times and agree it is a fantastic read and pick up something new every time I read it. The timing of this live hunt has coincided with my rifle deer hunt and has several similarities. Reading David's short "how to find a big buck" approach during this hunt has been extremely useful.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have read David's book multiple times and agree it is a fantastic read and pick up something new every time I read it. The timing of this live hunt has coincided with my rifle deer hunt and has several similarities. Reading David's short "how to find a big buck" approach during this hunt has been extremely useful.
Ditto... Its a great read and this thread is a great supplement!

Thanks for sharing all the tips with us!