Idaho Mule Deer Management Plan 2020-2025

TButtars

FNG
Idaho’s tags sold out last year before season..... Its only going to continue to get worse they are going to have to change something. I see Idaho going more to Wyoming’s system of keeping the res. Otc and the non res will become a 6 year draw before long so yes I would rather see them change more like Utah’s general draw 1-3 year draw

Idaho’s tags sold out last year before season..... Its only going to continue to get worse they are going to have to change something. I see Idaho going more to Wyoming’s system of keeping the res. Otc and the non res will become a 6 year draw before long so yes I would rather see them change more like Utah’s general draw 1-3 year draw
You might be the only individual I've ever ran across that wants Idaho's big game management to be anything like Utah's.

Hunter270

FNG
This has been an extremely insightful conversation thread and I have learned a lot. I am a resident and hope to be able to continue to hunt each year as I continue to find good bucks each year.

From what I’ve learned about deer management so far here, winters are key to overall mule deer herd size and consequently big bucks. Has there been any research done that suggests a shed season, such as Nevada and Wyoming have in place, limits human travel in critical winter months enough to see an increase in survival rates?

I get that a shed season only stops the honest people and that it gives an unfair advantage to those who are “above the law”, and as an avid shed hunter, that sucks. But if the research suggests that a shed season helps take the pressure off the mule deer and allows the young bucks to get older, I would be in favor of picking up a few less sheds.

Interested on peoples thoughts on if this would help and if there is any research on this.

OP
Customweld
This has been an extremely insightful conversation thread and I have learned a lot. I am a resident and hope to be able to continue to hunt each year as I continue to find good bucks each year.

From what I’ve learned about deer management so far here, winters are key to overall mule deer herd size and consequently big bucks. Has there been any research done that suggests a shed season, such as Nevada and Wyoming have in place, limits human travel in critical winter months enough to see an increase in survival rates?

I get that a shed season only stops the honest people and that it gives an unfair advantage to those who are “above the law”, and as an avid shed hunter, that sucks. But if the research suggests that a shed season helps take the pressure off the mule deer and allows the young bucks to get older, I would be in favor of picking up a few less sheds.

Interested on peoples thoughts on if this would help and if there is any research on this.
There has been quite a few thoughts on shed seasons and there are a couple of hang-ups. Upland bird season runs until the end of this month. Most winter ground is also upland bird habitat. January also seems to be the worst of the cold/snow. You generally start to see some melting and green-up in February. The other problem, is there really is no way to enforce other folks (hikers, snow shoers etc) to stay out of the hills.

I don't imagine anything will change this year it's too convoluted. But I would like to see the second tag go away. Double the price on everyone. Three-point Minumum statewide.

I don't like having seasons like colorado but I like having zones even less. It seems everything has to be so drastic with Idaho F&G. Let's try a few little things first.
Why do you dislike zones?

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't speak for anyone else but I would prefer to not have deer zones because I like the freedom to explore new areas every year while still having the option to fall back on familiar units.
I absolutely second this opinion. Thats one of the great joys I have in our state. To beable to explore new country and have a chance to hunt it if we choose.

No idaho does not want or need a point system
Look at montana, wyoming Arizona, worse thing they could ever do.
We also DO NOT NEED deer & elk zones or split seasons like Colorado.
it doesn't need point restrictions

What we need is habitat improvement
And management, you can't grow deer if you don't have the habitat and feed to support them.

Last edited:
Idaho’s tags sold out last year before season..... Its only going to continue to get worse they are going to have to change something. I see Idaho going more to Wyoming’s system of keeping the res. Otc and the non res will become a 6 year draw before long so yes I would rather see them change more like Utah’s general draw 1-3 year
Idaho will never go the way of wyoming or Utah
It depends on out of state licence sales way to much for that,
Wishfull thinking but not going to happen

Last edited:
From what I’ve learned about deer management so far here, winters are key to overall mule deer herd size
Winter is, key to any wilidlife management & survival not just mule deer
As far as mature bucks that has more to do with genetics then it does weather you can't grow big deer if you dont have the genetic make up in the herds to. Pass them on

OP
Customweld
Winter is, key to any wilidlife management & survival not just mule deer
As far as mature bucks that has more to do with genetics then it does weather you can't grow big deer if you dont have the genetic make up in the herds to. Pass them on
You are absolutely correct. You are in an area that should produce multiple book entries every year and it just doesn't. Lots of great deer in that country, but few truly big bucks.

87TT

WKR
I do believe that's exactly they are going to do.
They upped non resident licence prices to make up for the loss in revenue they will suffer from cutting non resident tags in both the general
And capped units
One more time, they are NOT cutting tags. Just capping the amounts of NR in certain zones. They are anticipating some NR will not buy tags if they can't get the zone they want so by raising the fees, the revenue stays the same.

Jimss

WKR
I thought I would offer a little advice in regard to muledeer habitat. I know southern Idaho has lots of cheatgrass. Here's a link to some posts I started on a similar post about improving muledeer numbers and habitat in Utah on another website: