Idaho mule deer otc

KINGSNAKE

WKR
We are in the planning stages of doing am otc idaho mule deer hunt this year. It's a backup plan if our draw hunts fall through. My question is this. Should we day hunt from the Truck camp, or hire someone with horses to pack us and our gear in the back country and drop us off. Some where around timberline I'm guessing. We're going the last two weeks of Oct. Do we need horses or should we just back pack it in. I'm not completely settled on a unit so I can't answer that, and I would rather not talk about specific units outside of private messaging. Tks

Lowe43

FNG
Well south east idaho has good deer. As far as day hunting from the truck it will be fine if you are ok hiking 5 miles one way each day . Or take a tent go five miles in and hunt from there. Stay mobile if in a few days you don't see much try another spot. Good luck report how it goes.

It all really depends on what you are after. There are plenty of units and locations throughout the state where you can take a legal or descent buck while truck camping. There is also always a chance you can dump a good one not to far from the truck, but that is somewhat of a rarity. There is so much different terrain in Idaho too that you don't always have to be at 10,000'+ to find a trophy. Just find a spot where you can spend plenty of hours behind the glass and have a variety of country. If you pay attention after a few days of hunting you will see what the crowds do and do the opposite. Look for areas that are overlooked, they may be 5+ miles from the truck but sometimes there are areas that are within a morning hike. Good Luck!

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would check season dates for your unit(s) you are interested in. Not all units go til the 31st, a lot of them close on the 24th.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk