Idaho Mule Deer Winter Kill

pumatom

FNG
Both deer in the snow were found on a late archery deer hunt, the elk and the largest buck were found on our bear hunt. I know what you mean. I have friends who did stumble on several others, but it does sound strange to go "deadhead hunting" that is a reality check.

- Jesse

Hey Jesse
Were the dead bucks in the snow on the south side of the Snake?

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted unit 40 late buck hunt and seen lots of nice bucks. But didn’t fill my tag. It was my most enjoyable hunt ever and I have hunted since 1974.
Unit 40 did not get hammered like south central Idaho. Units 39,49,48,50,36AB, 36 and so on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's interesting to read the report and see the areas where the winter was particularly devastating. You've noted many of them hillboy. The Payette River winter range which is home to animals that summer in 25, 27, 33, 34, 35, 36, 39, among others, got nailed. Probably the worst was the area around Weiser. I don't really know about Eastern Idaho so I'm kind of overlooking them.

Unit 40 did not get hammered like south central Idaho. Units 39,49,48,50,36AB, 36 and so on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I can concur this area got hammered. I spent 13 days on the archery elk/deer hunt and another 10 on the OTC rifle hunt. Highlights were a 3x3, 3x4, and a large 4x4. Know of only a handful of nice bucks taken out of the same unit I was hunting.

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any info on the Frank Church Wilderness area, as far as the winter kill goes? My little brother (from Boise) and I are planning a hunt up there this November. Thanks.

If you are a non resident, you will need to apply for that hunt in a limited entry now. Idaho F&G just changed that to a draw hunt for non residents.

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
If you are a non resident, you will need to apply for that hunt in a limited entry now. Idaho F&G just changed that to a draw hunt for non residents.

Copy. Thanks for that. I did not realize they had changed it to a draw for non res.

Does anyone know how the herds are faring in the magic valley? I'm considering doing an archery hunt in Southern magic valley. I contacted several people and they said the last winters have been mild but the harvest statistics are not good. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
This winter was pretty mild in unit 54. There's some great hunting there if you know where to look. The success rate for the archery hunt there last year was 33%, which I would consider pretty darn good for an early season bow hunt. Just be aware that that hunt is now an unlimited controlled hunt. You'll draw it, but you can't hit other general units, too. I grew up bowhunting those mulies. We always did better in the desert country than in the perfect looking quaky-timber draws up higher.

Marc6077

FNG
This year was my first time out in Idaho, I expected a lot more deer hunting unit 19A but the deer were impossible to find compared to elk. 4 of us caught glimpses of 3 bucks in the 3-4pt range with no shots and less than a dozen does. I only found one set of tracks in the snow worth getting excited about. The Elk hunting was amazing, still had bugling first week of rifle our group of 4 saw maybe 20 bulls with 2 kills 1 miss and some passes on young bulls and everyone had bulls inside 200yds more than once. I figured before going out that elk would be harder to find and mulies would be all over the way whitetails are in the east but those critters were ghosts if around at all. I killed my bull opening day and spent 5 more days hunting mulies and never found a shooter worth chambering a round.

I will say Idaho has a piece of my heart and was the most beautiful country I ever hunted, I will be back. Good luck to those who enjoy it every year
Glad you enjoyed idaho it truly is awesome. Have you been back since? I got a rifle hunt coming up in October in the McCall unit and I am planning on hitting up zone 19A in hopes of getting away from pressure. Would you say there was a lot of hunting pressure in that unit when you were hunting a few years back? Any tips on where to start. This will be my second year hunting and my dads first so we are just really excited to hit the mountain. Anything tips would be greatly appreciated. I’ll be going up to scout this weekend hope to find some elk. Your post really gives me hope!

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
Glad you enjoyed idaho it truly is awesome. Have you been back since? I got a rifle hunt coming up in October in the McCall unit and I am planning on hitting up zone 19A in hopes of getting away from pressure. Would you say there was a lot of hunting pressure in that unit when you were hunting a few years back? Any tips on where to start. This will be my second year hunting and my dads first so we are just really excited to hit the mountain. Anything tips would be greatly appreciated. I’ll be going up to scout this weekend hope to find some elk. Your post really gives me hope!
Have not been back since 2017 I plan to remedy that next year same unit, will likely be several miles from where we hunted last time but not the exact same ridges and basins.

Hunting pressure, there was more then I expected anywhere you could get motorized vehicles and less anywhere you couldn't. Really surprised by how many people stay within sight or shouting distance of a parked side by side.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

LukeR

FNG
Where we have been going last five years deer numbers have been going down in my opinion. Still finding bucks you just have to work a little harder. Two years ago we found lots of dead heads. No Bueno

Wassid82

WKR
scouted a lot during August. Only saw two smaller bucks when usually I see 20ish. It was disheartening

Juancho

FNG
I'm reading mixed reviews on if Idaho deer have recovered at all. Hoping they're around next week! I don't think we'll be passing any young bucks given everyone saying there aren't many.