Idaho Mule Deer

So I’m trying to plan a hunt to Idaho for the 2021 season now looking at unit 28. Not looking for anyone’s spots and trying to do my research but living on the east coast and also being in law enforcement only get approved so much leave at at time so most of my scouting is going to be online or hopefully just getting pointed in the right direction planning on at least 10 days of hunting was stationed in Alaska and did some pack hunts so not a newbie to the game. If anyone has any helpful info trust me I’m all ears at this point.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
28 is an awesome unit. Not necessarily for hunting, but it’s an awesome area. It’s steep, especially where you will find mule deer. Avoid areas that will have good elk populations. There’s also a ton of cattle and sheep all over.

OP
Rucksack88
I plan on driving out and parking my truck and then pack hunting from there not planning on coming back to the truck unless I absolutely have to so guess my real question is what part of Idaho would be a better place to start looking for that type of hunting

Buckweet

FNG
So I’m trying to plan a hunt to Idaho for the 2021 season now looking at unit 28. Not looking for anyone’s spots and trying to do my research but living on the east coast and also being in law enforcement only get approved so much leave at at time so most of my scouting is going to be online or hopefully just getting pointed in the right direction planning on at least 10 days of hunting was stationed in Alaska and did some pack hunts so not a newbie to the game. If anyone has any helpful info trust me I’m all ears at this point.
I Am going to be hunting the west side of 28 around the wilderness will be my first trip also but would be willing to give some help when I get back and see what it’s all about

OP
Rucksack88
I Am going to be hunting the west side of 28 around the wilderness will be my first trip also but would be willing to give some help when I get back and see what it’s all about
That would be helpful thank you like I said before I’m not asking for exact spots like others thought I was just a guy trying to get out and enjoy his time and put boots on the ground was just looking for areas in general

Buckweet

FNG
That would be helpful thank you like I said before I’m not asking for exact spots like others thought I was just a guy trying to get out and enjoy his time and put boots on the ground was just looking for areas in general
I understand I have no experience out there either. I have avoided asking for to much info lots of people get defensive but I can understand there reasoning. I just found me a area and have studied and tried to read as much as I can I have not found anything much good or bad. All the info I have been able to find says lots of wolfs steep country and not much game but I’m going to give it my best try and hope I get lucky.

OP
Rucksack88
I understand I have no experience out there either. I have avoided asking for to much info lots of people get defensive but I can understand there reasoning. I just found me a area and have studied and tried to read as much as I can I have not found anything much good or bad. All the info I have been able to find says lots of wolfs steep country and not much game but I’m going to give it my best try and hope I get lucky.
Yea that’s exactly my plan give it my best hike my butt off and just enjoy the sights

sneaky

"DADDY"
I plan on driving out and parking my truck and then pack hunting from there not planning on coming back to the truck unless I absolutely have to so guess my real question is what part of Idaho would be a better place to start looking for that type of hunting
Literally every part of Idaho you can do that. Thing is, you are severely limiting yourself by saying you're going in for 10 days and not coming back to the truck at all. If you pick the wrong spot you can waste 10 days in short order. If you aren't into animals after a couple of days, move. There's a lot of areas that are devoid of game, just the facts of it. 28 is some cool country, it gets pressure though during rifle season.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That country is better experienced with a fishing poll in late July-August than with a tag in October. I highly recommend you bite off something more edible than the Salmon river country in October if you've never visited it before. Game density is low (deer have yet to recover from some hard winters a few years back), predator management is limited, and it gets a lot of attention from try hard backpack hunters. This isn't the hunters paradise it was back in the 80's-90's.

OP
Rucksack88
Literally every part of Idaho you can do that. Thing is, you are severely limiting yourself by saying you're going in for 10 days and not coming back to the truck at all. If you pick the wrong spot you can waste 10 days in short order. If you aren't into animals after a couple of days, move. There's a lot of areas that are devoid of game, just the facts of it. 28 is some cool country, it gets pressure though during rifle season.

Thank you for the information I’ve been trying to do as much research online as possible because work not allowing me to take off and scout before hand.

Pick 5-10 spots in the unit. These spots may be miles apart. Start with the best spot. If it doesn't work go to spot 2. Don't fall in love with an area. You can/will waste 10 days. Only love the area, with boots on the ground, if there is active sign and you are seeing game.

I've hunted 28. Unless you've experience steep country you may not know what you're in for.

My recommendation, be in the best shape of your life, otherwise you won't have any fun.

FWIW.

OP
Rucksack88
Thank you yea I’ve done some high altitudes in Alaska and also with the army so hiking steep country is no problem I know every place is different though

Buckweet

FNG
That country is better experienced with a fishing poll in late July-August than with a tag in October. I highly recommend you bite off something more edible than the Salmon river country in October if you've never visited it before. Game density is low (deer have yet to recover from some hard winters a few years back), predator management is limited, and it gets a lot of attention from try hard backpack hunters. This isn't the hunters paradise it was back in the 80's-90's.
I understand that 28 numbers are skewed by outfitters but for otc 28 has good statistics unless I’m looking at something wrong and only a small section of 28 is wilderness

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thank you yea I’ve done some high altitudes in Alaska and also with the army so hiking steep country is no problem I know every place is different though
High altitude in Alaska can be 4000ft though in some places. 28 is steep, all of central Idaho is steep. Google earth doesn't do it justice.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Predator management isn't limited. Idaho is very active in its management of predators. More so than any other western state. Are there predators in 28? Sure. But they're actively hunted pretty much year round.

OP
Rucksack88
Buckweet how did your hunt go in Idaho ?