Idaho Mule

Jimmyf123

FNG
Hello, I am thinking about going on my first Western Hunt in Idaho for the 2023 season with my dad. *We're trying to figure out if it is worth it for us to apply for a controlled hunt which would allow us to hunt in November, or if buying an OTC tag and hunting in late October would give us a comparable experience.*

It is my understanding that Mule deer (I assume elk may behave in a similar way) are more active in November and almost nocturnal in October. Our concern is the the potential for extreme cold and snow in November as we would ideally like to backpack into the Unit with tents and camp.

If you think an OTC mule deer/elk hunt in late October still presents a decent opportunity for success - do you have any tips for how to hunt during this time of year (what environment you would expect to find mule deer/elk in, elevation, hunting tactics).

Thanks in advance.

JREG19

Lil-Rokslider
The Mule deer rut in early November will get them out and about. The Elk rut is in September. I have seen a lot of elk and deer out in October and November, the thing that I think turns them more nocturnal is pressure.
Weather is going to get game out in the open, the colder it is the more calories they need to stay warm. The weather in the backcountry isn't always predictable, I've seen it snow almost a foot at the begining of October. I think there's always an oppurtunity for success as long as you're out there.
When you are finding a place to hunt you need to think about migration. If you are a long ways from winter range, that first snow could move the game out of your area. The weather/snow will play a large role in elevation... Get to a good glassing vantage and glass until you can't glass any more and keep glassing.

OP
J

Jimmyf123

FNG
Why don't you put in for a controlled hunt and buy an OTC tag? You can exchange your OTC tag for your controlled tag.
That is most likely what we will end up doing but if the opportunity at success in October was comparable to November we would just stick with the OTC tag to avoid potentially harsher November weather.

ID_Matt

WKR
That is most likely what we will end up doing but if the opportunity at success in October was comparable to November we would just stick with the OTC tag to avoid potentially harsher November weather.
It is going to be unit dependent. Some of the lower elevation november units won't see near the harsher weather in November as others. The later draw hunts, generally have much higher success rates than the general hunts and will have substantially less competition, meaning a better hunt experience in my opinion. The success rates you mention can easily be found on the fish and game website.

littlebigtine

Lil-Rokslider
ive never shot a deer in november. those tags are pretty coveted. october is harder hunting but still fun. sounds like you will be backpacking. thats enough entertainment imo. you cant expect success showing up this way your first time but its certainly possible and very much dependent on how much you and your dad “get after it”. go make some memories. maybe they will be bloody, maybe not.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you buy the OTC tag it only costs about $15-20 to apply for a controlled hunt. Odds are extremely low if you draw a Nov controlled hunt anyways, and you don't have to pick up the controlled hunt even if you draw it. Plenty of great deer hunting books out there you can read between now and when OTC tags go on sale

I think everyone summed it up here pretty well - but if you are going to buy an OTC tag, may as well apply for controlled hunt and hunt it if you get it. Weather can be bad no matter what - if you go in Oct and go at higher elevations, may run into the same weather in Nov at lower elevations. Would take the better hinting opportunity.

The Mule deer rut in early November will get them out and about. The Elk rut is in September. I have seen a lot of elk and deer out in October and November, the thing that I think turns them more nocturnal is pressure.
Weather is going to get game out in the open, the colder it is the more calories they need to stay warm. The weather in the backcountry isn't always predictable, I've seen it snow almost a foot at the begining of October. I think there's always an oppurtunity for success as long as you're out there.
When you are finding a place to hunt you need to think about migration. If you are a long ways from winter range, that first snow could move the game out of your area. The weather/snow will play a large role in elevation... Get to a good glassing vantage and glass until you can't glass any more and keep glassing.
This is 100% true ^^
If you are already spending the $$ coming out, you might as well put in for controlled hunts, and heck, you might even get one!
As to your question about the seasons, October can be temperamental and November even more so. You could get snowed out in October, or there could be a dry spell all season long. The snow generally pushes the animals down, and by November the mule deer are rutting as others have said. That being said, the big bucks are all over the place during the rut, which introduces a greater level of chance to your hunt. You might find a little forkie with the does you've been watching, or an old giant could stop by. November hunts are fun but random.
Good luck to you!

huntnful

WKR
Hunting mule deer in the rut in mid November isn't even remotely comparable to hunting them in mid October. Your chances of finding mature deer and having success are probably 10X better during the rut. But your chances of actually drawing a rut tag are 100X worse lol.

Mid October is fine though. The deer just aren't moving much and you have to glass and move vantages a lot. The weather can be a concern no matter the season, just pay attention to it prior to the hunt and have some contingency plans or prepare for it.

What you're looking into is not an easy hunt, or an easy opportunity for you both to even get the same tags with the new OTC system. But the hunts are super fun if your willing to grind it out and make that little extra effort to find the bucks.

bgipson

FNG
Your whole premise of thinking you can choose your hunt is flawed. You will be lucky to get the General tag for the area you want much less draw a November controlled hunt. Nonresident General mule deer tags sold out extremely quickly the last few years and even areas with hundreds of tags weren't guaranteed if you landed too low in the queue.

As to your question, yes November will be way easier hunting but also has much higher odds of having terrible weather. You can look at historical weather data and easily see that.

Your odds of getting a November rifle tag are extremely slim but if you're open to archery and very low odds of success, your odds of drawing get better. Honestly get on the computer the morning tags go on sale and join the queue of 50,000 people waiting. Maybe you'll get lucky and be assigned a low number, maybe you won't and all the General tags will be gone. Make a list of zones you're willing to try and a list of zones that are a no go and when you get through, pick 1 if there's a suitable tag left. Your dad will have a separate number in the queue so good luck to him being at a similar place as you and you both getting the same tag.

I hate the Idaho system since it doesn't allow for parties and everyone is trying for their tag individually.

Rich M

WKR
They aren't nocturnal during October, just not out running around - you have to go find them.

During the rut you can just find the does and sit there, waiting if that appeals to you.

Go and have a fun hunt. Don't wear your old man out.

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
You definitely don’t want to hunt Idaho. The deer are small, weather sucks, and people aren’t friendly. Jk, but if you do hunt Idaho, definitely consider traveling to your unit. Lots of units are inaccessible unless you have a snowmobile or are on highways. Think feet of snow and unmaintained roads. But even then some highways will be shut down at times. It’s not like back East.

Also, the general season hunts get hunted super hard. It’s not uncommon to see people on every single hill side hunting.

I live in Idaho, and hunt deer here (quite a few different areas). I also hunt deer in NV, CO, WY, and UT. If I lived out of state, knowing what I know, I would look at other states for mule deer hunting. Are Idaho OTC units good? Some areas, sure (some are great). Are the OTC tags pretty (very?) difficult to take a deer with limited to no scouting of an area? Much more difficult in my opinion. My first couple of years hunting deer here were brutal. Thought I knew a thing or two. Um, not so much, it was very humbling. Big country, steep, and really takes a bit of knowledge to know where to spend time. Not trying to steer you away from this great state, just wanting to ensure you understand what you might be walking into.

Coming from the Southeast swamp land to ID was a humbling awakening. We were there opening day/week and apparently it's a national holiday because hunters were everywhere... I mean everywhere. We packed in over 4 miles on a horse trail and still counted 17 hunters in total we spotted either while glassing or walking by camp. Terrain is pretty tough, my work out regiment was geared way too much toward strength and not cardio, that's changed. With all that being said, I have become obsessed. It's all I think about. An experience I will pursue at any chance that I can. I have almost quit pursuing whitetail unless with my wife and boys and now my $$$ and time is spent getting ready for my next trip. My two cents, just the experience of it all, successful or not, with your father is priceless.

The later the easier the tag gets still physical but much flatter ground. You will also see more deer if you are in the right place.

Idaho is a terrible place to hunt deer, go to Colorado. The deer there bigger dumber and more plentiful there, you'll have a wonderful time.