Idaho New Tag Allocation - Pressure

CB4

WKR
I hunted elk in Idaho in 2019 and 2020, took last year off but will be heading back here in 2022.

In 2019 we hunted two different spots. The first spot we didn't see a single person in 3 days. In the second spot there were 8 trucks around the trail head but only ran into 3 locals day hunting in 3 days. To me that wasn't a lot of pressure.

In 2020 it was a shorter trip of only 4 days total and we stuck in our second spot from 2019 because of the elk sign. During those 4 days we ran into 3 total hunters. But there were more trucks at the trailhead.

In 2021 did people notice pressure decrease with the limitation of tags?

I hunted elk in Idaho in 2019 and 2020, took last year off but will be heading back here in 2022.

In 2019 we hunted two different spots. The first spot we didn't see a single person in 3 days. In the second spot there were 8 trucks around the trail head but only ran into 3 locals day hunting in 3 days. To me that wasn't a lot of pressure.

In 2020 it was a shorter trip of only 4 days total and we stuck in our second spot from 2019 because of the elk sign. During those 4 days we ran into 3 total hunters. But there were more trucks at the trailhead.

In 2021 did people notice pressure decrease with the limitation of tags?
Which units? Or which part of Idaho if you're more comfortable with that.

Fish and game here actually just did a online survey last week about pressure feedback and overcrowding from last year.

I, personally, saw pressure worse then usual, but more residential plates making it closer to a maybe 60/40 split of residents and non res, compared to the normal 70/30ish favoring NR

TheTone

WKR
The area I hunt, which I don’t think is that great and has sold slowly the last two years, has seen marked increase in archery pressure the last 5 years IMO. I would say I see 80:20-90:10 res to non res pressure. A lot of people will tell you they have started archery hunting in the last few years. The other thing I have noticed is a lot of the new guys have no shame with hunting right on top of you, moving in on bulls you’re working, taking crummy shots, etc

To state a fact, statewide there could not have been more non resident pressure in 2021 than 2020: the total tags didn’t increase and a significant amount of zones were capped at very low historical levels.

Maybe a few zones with no non resident cap yet felt the uptick.

I know of a few non residents that didn’t have time to archery hunt their tag in Idaho this year. They didn’t turn in the tags. So they did their part to reduce nonresident pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steelhead

FNG
To state a fact, statewide there could not have been more non resident pressure in 2021 than 2020: the total tags didn’t increase and a significant amount of zones were capped at very low historical levels.

Maybe a few zones with no non resident cap yet felt the uptick.

I know of a few non residents that didn’t have time to archery hunt their tag in Idaho this year. They didn’t turn in the tags. So they did their part to reduce nonresident pressure.

For sure. on top of the 3 NR groups I see every year from WA/OR, there were 2 additional from WA. one had jumped over due to fire closures, so just a shift. time and place.

OP
CB4

CB4

WKR
Which units? Or which part of Idaho if you're more comfortable with that.

Fish and game here actually just did a online survey last week about pressure feedback and overcrowding from last year.

I, personally, saw pressure worse then usual, but more residential plates making it closer to a maybe 60/40 split of residents and non res, compared to the normal 70/30ish favoring NR
Since I have already commented the zone on Rokslide in the past I will again but I was in Lemhi. Typically a common zone for NR and Resident day hunters. In 19 and 20 I found most NR were cool backcountry hunters going 5+ miles back while the residents were close to the trailheads.

In 19 ran into one group who went 7 miles back with zero food thinking a kid in the group was going to shoot a mule deer on day 1 and they would eat that the rest of the week. Lets just say they were all hiking out.

For sure. on top of the 3 NR groups I see every year from WA/OR, there were 2 additional from WA. one had jumped over due to fire closures, so just a shift. time and place.

Well if you are following what is going on in WA you have this huge population of hunters that have very few decent options left here due mostly to a 3 term anti hunting governor.

Options are either move permanently or pursue out of state options.

IdahoElk

WKR
I noticed this in 4 different units, I wonder if because of that, and the lack of mature bulls, Idaho has a new draw system in the near future.
I saw a lot of first timers and thought since our population is growing at such a crazy rate that it's overflowing into hunting, I have also seen more fishermen in our rivers this past year than ever before.

Rob5589

WKR
In 19 ran into one group who went 7 miles back with zero food thinking a kid in the group was going to shoot a mule deer on day 1 and they would eat that the rest of the week. Lets just say they were all hiking out.
Sounds like a solid plan😆

Sounds like a solid plan😆
i would have liked to hear an edited version of the drive west conversation followed by the drive back home conversation.

even if they were traveling to the west, and actually went east from home, we still need to stay in character by saying they head out west.... if i ever hunt colorado, i'll still call it "out west" in any conversation about it, even though i would have to drive east for 2 days to get there..... lingo has become so confusing.... harvest, smoked em, out west, running, run n gun, etc.... gotta use them though if you want people to take you seriously

WRO

WKR
I wouldn't bother hiking back 5 miles in any trail head with 5 trucks. We kill elk every year within 2 miles of the road. We used to hike way back in and spike camp, but you're stuck at that point. The magic seems to happen between 400 yards and 1.5 miles from a road. You weed out the Cameron hanes wanna be pekerwoods and the road hunters in that zone. Plus if the place is devoid of sign, moving spots is easy.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Fullfan

WKR
Been hunting the same unit for years, archery. Last year there were
More resident hunters, camps every where

sneaky

"DADDY"
Been the elephant in the room for a while: residents are driving the pressure increase. It won't be long before there's resident caps in every zone as well. That'll be the progression before it goes to a draw.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

i would have liked to hear an edited version of the drive west conversation followed by the drive back home conversation.

even if they were traveling to the west, and actually went east from home, we still need to stay in character by saying they head out west.... if i ever hunt colorado, i'll still call it "out west" in any conversation about it, even though i would have to drive east for 2 days to get there..... lingo has become so confusing.... harvest, smoked em, out west, running, run n gun, etc.... gotta use them though if you want people to take you seriously
This is why I don't take you seriously