Idaho New Tag Allocation - Pressure

Been the elephant in the room for a while: residents are driving the pressure increase. It won't be long before there's resident caps in every zone as well. That'll be the progression before it goes to a draw.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Might not be a bad thing, honestly.

Reactions: WRO

WRO

WKR
Been the elephant in the room for a while: residents are driving the pressure increase. It won't be long before there's resident caps in every zone as well. That'll be the progression before it goes to a draw.

Yup it needs to be addressed. As an Idaho resident I would support this 100%.

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
I saw less people overall this year during archery compared to last. I saw zero hunters in the woods this year during archery, I saw plenty of elk. During rifle, same spot we had hunters in our area where last year we didn’t see any. Filled rifle tag both years. Public land, legs are your key to finding solice

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately I saw more pressure. It’s more new residents adding pressure lately not non residents. Where I hunt there has always been tons of Washington hunters. I still think there is too many non residents 😂 but the recent increase has definitely been residents. I would tend to agree way more hunters are also bow hunting than used too. Non residents picking a unit I’m sure is a step in the right direction. Maybe residents should too I dunno we’re already picking a zone

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
I saw less people overall this year during archery compared to last. I saw zero hunters in the woods this year during archery, I saw plenty of elk. During rifle, same spot we had hunters in our area where last year we didn’t see any. Filled rifle tag both years. Public land, legs are your key to finding solice
I don’t know about that. I have always been a harder not smarter guy until I started noticing MORE hunters way back in the roadless areas. I’m not sure getting way back in is that much benefit where I hunt. Too many cam Haines types pumping back country hunting.? It’s in “style “ now 😂 lots of guys chugging mtn ops and becoming wilderness athletes lol. I still go deep just because but it’s not finding me much solice there’s less hunters next to the roads where I live.

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know about that. I have always been a harder not smarter guy until I started noticing MORE hunters way back in the roadless areas. I’m not sure getting way back in is that much benefit where I hunt. Too many cam Haines types pumping back country hunting.? It’s in “style “ now 😂 lots of guys chugging mtn ops and becoming wilderness athletes lol. I still go deep just because but it’s not finding me much solice there’s less hunters next to the roads where I live.
I wish the elk were closer to the jeep, they are not that far, but it sure is steep. Horses would be awesome, but they don’t fit in our jeep.

I wish the elk were closer to the jeep, they are not that far, but it sure is steep. Horses would be awesome, but they don’t fit in our jeep.
Steep will weed out people WAY faster then distance. That being said, Idaho has become over run in the past 2 years with new residents and honestly, I'd rather draw for a better experience at this point. I doubt Idaho would ever do that, but I do predict there will be new antler restrictions in the near future.

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
Steep will weed out people WAY faster then distance. That being said, Idaho has become over run in the past 2 years with new residents and honestly, I'd rather draw for a better experience at this point. I doubt Idaho would ever do that, but I do predict there will be new antler restrictions in the near future.
I think the pandemic has increased hunting and all other outdoor activities. I may not be able to outrun the bear but I can outrun the average Joe. There is plenty of great hunting out there to be had, the only thing I worry about is CWD.

I hunted elk in Idaho in 2019 and 2020, took last year off but will be heading back here in 2022.

In 2019 we hunted two different spots. The first spot we didn't see a single person in 3 days. In the second spot there were 8 trucks around the trail head but only ran into 3 locals day hunting in 3 days. To me that wasn't a lot of pressure.

In 2020 it was a shorter trip of only 4 days total and we stuck in our second spot from 2019 because of the elk sign. During those 4 days we ran into 3 total hunters. But there were more trucks at the trailhead.

In 2021 did people notice pressure decrease with the limitation of tags?
I personally noticed less pressure. Never bumped into another hunter all archery season.

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
Where I hunt there is zero other hunter pressure. I will say where I used to hunt out of Mccall, 12 years ago II saw nobody. A few years ago I drove the trailhead and it was packed. I think some of that was the Wilkes brothers, some could be blamed on fires, and the biggest blame would be the growth in Idaho of new resident hunters. Where I hunt elk now, zero hunters, I am very fortunate

Huntnnw

WKR
To state a fact, statewide there could not have been more non resident pressure in 2021 than 2020: the total tags didn’t increase and a significant amount of zones were capped at very low historical levels.

Maybe a few zones with no non resident cap yet felt the uptick.

I know of a few non residents that didn’t have time to archery hunt their tag in Idaho this year. They didn’t turn in the tags. So they did their part to reduce nonresident pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
winner winner here! Resident tag sales versus Non resident is not even close! something like 244K residents lol we all know how many elk tags and deer tags there are for non residents.

sneaky

"DADDY"
winner winner here! Resident tag sales versus Non resident is not even close! something like 244K residents lol we all know how many elk tags and deer tags there are for non residents.
They have never sold 244k resident elk tags

Huntnnw

WKR
and almost everywhere in ID you could have both deer and elk guys out at the same time.. 10-1 resident to non resident in the woods and getting worse every year

and almost everywhere in ID you could have both deer and elk guys out at the same time.. 10-1 resident to non resident in the woods and getting worse every year
So this is actually where it gets interesting. With some of the data I looked at, it was actually not even close to 10-1. In some cases, if I remember correctly, it was like a 2-1 ratio in some zones before the tag changes took place.