IDAHO newby bowhunters - don't make the same mistakes I almost made

fwafwow

WKR
Headed to Idaho soon for elk and almost overlooked a few important Idaho rules, at least one of which is unique. Don't trust me - look at the rules yourself - https://idfg.idaho.gov/sites/default/files/seasons-rules-big-game-2019-2020-v2.pdf
  1. Lighted nocks not allowed - apparently the only state in the country with this rule
  2. Nothing electronic allowed on your bow - no laser rangefinder sights, but also NO RHEOSTAT or other lights for your pins
  3. No mechanical broadheads
  4. If you are hunting archery only, you need an archery permit - and the *part of the* F&G website *where you buy your tags and license* doesn't (IMHO) make this very obvious, either that you need this, or how to get it. See https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/idaho-hunting-license.173258/
I'm sure there are plenty of folks who already know all of these rules, but given the recent PMs and posts to another thread, I doubt I'm the only ignorant new Idaho hunter.

Edited to add in the text within asterisks....

Last edited:
Headed to Idaho soon for elk and almost overlooked a few important Idaho rules, at least one of which is unique. Don't trust me - look at the rules yourself - https://idfg.idaho.gov/sites/default/files/seasons-rules-big-game-2019-2020-v2.pdf
  1. Lighted nocks not allowed - apparently the only state in the country with this rule
  2. Nothing electronic allowed on your bow - no laser rangefinder sights, but also NO RHEOSTAT or other lights for your pins
  4. If you are hunting archery only, you need an archery permit - and the F&G website doesn't (IMHO) make this very obvious, either that you need this, or how to get it. See https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/idaho-hunting-license.173258/
I'm sure there are plenty of folks who already know all of these rules, but given the recent PMs and posts to another thread, I doubt I'm the only ignorant new Idaho hunter.
If your post was 2-3 years ago, the only thing unique about Idaho would be archery validation. Mechanicals and lighted nocks have been legalized in Oregon and Washington in just the past few years, but any other electronic hunting aids attached to the bow are still illegal. There's a reason why when questions about any particular states game laws show up someone always comments "read the regs". If you bother to read them the archery validation requirement for Idaho is pretty obvious.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
If your post was 2-3 years ago, the only thing unique about Idaho would be archery validation. Mechanicals and lighted nocks have been legalized in Oregon and Washington in just the past few years, but any other electronic hunting aids attached to the bow are still illegal. There's a reason why when questions about any particular states game laws show up someone always comments "read the regs". If you bother to read them the archery validation requirement for Idaho is pretty obvious.
I've edited my original post to make clear that the F&G website where you buy your license and tags doesn't make it clear that the permit is required, and certainly doesn't make it very easy to figure out how to get it online.

I've edited my original post to make clear that the F&G website where you buy your license and tags doesn't make it clear that the permit is required, and certainly doesn't make it very easy to figure out how to get it online.
Yet again, it's pretty easy to figure out if you bother to read the regs. It sates clearly in the first sentence that it's required under the "Archery Only Season", it shows the price under under "Permits and Validations", and when you check "Permits" when you're buying online it's the 3rd choice.

It's pretty amazing how many people will be into a trip for $1,000 and never bother to read the regs. It's not like Idaho is even that bad to interpret. Start reading Washington's and you'll feel overwhelmed unless you've got a law degree.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Yet again, it's pretty easy to figure out if you bother to read the regs. It sates clearly in the first sentence that it's required under the "Archery Only Season", it shows the price under under "Permits and Validations", and when you check "Permits" when you're buying online it's the 3rd choice.

I think this is the source of us not seeing eye-to-eye on the license part of the website. The part in bold is not accurate - as the Archery Permit doesn't show up unless you go into your Hunter Education portion of the site and add in a Bowhunter Education number. And if you are going to point repeatedly to the regs, the rule says you can get a permit if you take a bowhunter education course, OR can prove that you have had a prior archery only permit (from Idaho, another state or another country), but it isn't at all clear how one does that - in the regs, on the site or to the F&G people who answer the phone. (Yes, there is an affidavit option, but it is clearly an additional option if you are otherwise unable to provide proof of another license.)

FWIW, a handful of people who are apparently as dumb as me have reached out to me in the last two days to ask about this permit. The point of the post is to try to have a PSA so others don't make the same dumb mistakes I almost did.

I thought I was being pretty self deprecating by admitting my mistake, and perhaps I'm wrong in now reading condescension into your posts. I will hope I'm wrong and leave it at that.

I think this is the source of us not seeing eye-to-eye on the license part of the website. The part in bold is not accurate - as the Archery Permit doesn't show up unless you go into your Hunter Education portion of the site and add in a Bowhunter Education number. And if you are going to point repeatedly to the regs, the rule says you can get a permit if you take a bowhunter education course, OR can prove that you have had a prior archery only permit (from Idaho, another state or another country), but it isn't at all clear how one does that - in the regs, on the site or to the F&G people who answer the phone. (Yes, there is an affidavit option, but it is clearly an additional option if you are otherwise unable to provide proof of another license.)

FWIW, a handful of people who are apparently as dumb as me have reached out to me in the last two days to ask about this permit. The point of the post is to try to have a PSA so others don't make the same dumb mistakes I almost did.

I thought I was being pretty self deprecating by admitting my mistake, and perhaps I'm wrong in now reading condescension into your posts. I will hope I'm wrong and leave it at that.
The affidavit is a piece a paper you sign saying what state you archery hunted in before and signing your name.

My point is the vast majoritiy of the questions asked can be answered by reading the regs. If these more fundamental questions are coming up, there's things in the regs waiting to bite you. Each western state has quirks waiting in the reg waiting to bite eastern hunters that don't read them. Some states don't allow sabots or inline ignition on muzzle loaders, one has a weight limit on the rifle you can hunt with, another has a legal minimum weight for hunting arrows... Asking about vagaries is one thing, asking about more obvious things indicates a person needs to read the regs before they get a ticket. When you say you didn't know you needed the archery permit/endorsement it tells me you need to go back over the regs because there's other stuff you probably missed that can get you fined.

Will_m

WKR
The affidavit is a piece a paper you sign saying what state you archery hunted in before and signing your name.

My point is the vast majoritiy of the questions asked can be answered by reading the regs. If these more fundamental questions are coming up, there's things in the regs waiting to bite you. Each western state has quirks waiting in the reg waiting to bite eastern hunters that don't read them. Some states don't allow sabots or inline ignition on muzzle loaders, one has a weight limit on the rifle you can hunt with, another has a legal minimum weight for hunting arrows... Asking about vagaries is one thing, asking about more obvious things indicates a person needs to read the regs before they get a ticket. When you say you didn't know you needed the archery permit/endorsement it tells me you need to go back over the regs because there's other stuff you probably missed that can get you fined.
Regulations are often convoluted, contradictory and especially confusing to someone not familiar with reading them. Lawyers make a living on that.

Kind of an unnecessary hard line to take the OP attempt at making others aware of a rule and using it as some holier than thou teaching moment, especially given the fact that he made it apparent he was new.

You will encounter something soon enough that you are unfamiliar with; I hope whoever enforces those parameters holds you to your own standard.

Last edited:
I hunted Idaho last year for the first time and luckily read through the regs and saw the archery permit info. I had already bought my license and tags, but the permit didn’t pop up online since I was a first time non-res hunter. After I found it I took my previous year WA archery tag to the Portland Sportsman show and Fish and Wildlife verified it and set me up with the permit. Had I not read the regs I would have been SOL.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

Thank you for looking out sir.

jt4

WKR
Normally I can scroll past these posts really easily to something else I find more useful, but this one really gets to me. Obviously OP has read the regs more than once since he mentions reading a portion of it that makes him question his first instincts. Why do you feel the need to even mention “read the regs”?

The guys title states “I made a mistake that I don’t want others to make”. Aka I want to help others. If anyone is so knowledgeable about the regulations, the best response to this thread would be to clarify what the topic is about......not to put down anyone for admittedly being a novice to a new state and their licensing procedures.

The guy didn’t ask for the best access point in an OTC unit in CO without doing a search. He’s trying to help others from making a costly mistake that could be easily overlooked.

Apologies to OP for the rant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
It’s all good. There is inherent troll risk by posting in any forum. On the plus side, I learned some irrelevant answers to questions no one asked.

Thanks though to @FLAK for contributing something of substance that is consistent with the intent of the OP!

MattB

WKR
It's pretty amazing how many people will be into a trip for $1,000 and never bother to read the regs. It's not like Idaho is even that bad to interpret. Start reading Washington's and you'll feel overwhelmed unless you've got a law degree.

And more amazing yet that you've apparently never made a mistake or misinterpreted something you have read.

Just FYI, once you go through the process the first time you’ll have the option to buy the permit online in subsequent years. It saves your hunter safety/archery info to your profile.

Werty

WKR
  4. If you are hunting archery only, you need an archery permit - and the *part of the* F&G website *where you buy your tags and license* doesn't (IMHO) make this very obvious, either that you need this, or how to get it. See https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/idaho-hunting-license.173258/

Edited to add in the text within asterisks....
As a guy who doesn't even have an Idaho tag, I still appreciate knowing this stuff for when I do get tags in the future. Thank you

Rob5589

WKR
I always order the new reg booklet when buying tags. Much easier than trying to find the info on the website, believe it or not. It would seem intuitive to make the archery endorsement mandatory when purchasing an "A" elk tag but, they clearly don't do it that way.

Put me in the "this post saved me" category. I just checked and I don't have an archery permit either, fortunately I am two weeks from leaving so I downloaded the form, filled it out and emailed it. I will follow up with a phone call tomorrow. I saw the archery permit was needed, we need one here in Maryland too but unlike Idaho I can just log on and buy one. Now I have to wait until they assign me a number then I can update my profile and buy one, worse case scenario I buy it when I get there.... so THANKS FOR POSTING THIS. .. and thanks to Idaho where you can just pay for a muzzleloader stamp but have to certify yourself for archery ? Glad to know I will be completely squared away soon.

Marble

WKR

It isn't very clear. Myself and several friends have all made the same mistake. This is the first year in many where I actually have all the right permits.

You will encounter something soon enough that you are unfamiliar with; I hope whoever enforces those parameters holds you to you’re own standard.

Agreed. Can’t stand people with the “holier than thou” attitude. In my opinion that has no place here - we’re all here to learn, and we all make mistakes(theleo included). OP was just giving others a heads up about some possibly confusing regulations, trying to keep other folks out of potential hot water.

Thanks OP.