IDAHO newby bowhunters - don't make the same mistakes I almost made

gearguywb

WKR
Thank you for posting this. Hunting regs, like many things our government publishes, can be a bit confusing and hard to find exactly what is needed and when. Some items are obvious, others less so.

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Idaho definitely has some strange challenges. For example I can buy a 3 year hunting license but can't buy a 3 year archery stamp. So even though I have a license I still have to go in every year and buy an archery validation. requiring having to print out a new license every year. PITA!

IdahoHntr

WKR
I always order the new reg booklet when buying tags. Much easier than trying to find the info on the website, believe it or not. It would seem intuitive to make the archery endorsement mandatory when purchasing an "A" elk tag but, they clearly don't do it that way.

I agree that the system could be more intuitive, but almost every A tag has a rifle hunting option of some sort, so requiring it isn’t the answer. People wanting to kill a a cow with a rifle shouldn’t need to buy an archery permit. Suggesting it might be better. I think they should just drop the bow hunter education number requirement and allow people to self-certify online similar to other states like Utah.

Medusa7MM

WKR
Thanks OP! Thanks for taking the time to try to help others out or clarify potential issues other guys/gals may not of been aware of. Your actions are what this forum is supposed to be used for.

FLAK

WKR
My son and I went to MT. in 2019 for spring black bear, bought the license and "tag".
Had the paper printed receipt and thought we were good.
Didn't realize it was an actual, physical tag until we returned and found it in the mailbox. Glad we didn't kill. So, to the OP, you're not alone. I read the regs.
And I've hunted out west a fair amount including AK.

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
Also, don’t forget the $12.00 sticker you have to buy for your 4 wheeler/atv, if you plan on using one! Also, reading what trails you can ride down while carrying a bow/gun and what trails you have to walk down, while recreational riders can drive right by (unless you are going to set up camp and don’t stop to hunt first) -I wouldn’t mind this rule if everyone followed it...

ShreckIII

FNG
Thank you for posting this! I would've been on the same boat. I saw it in the regs but thought it was part of the archery tag I purchased since it didn't populate. And we've called Idaho fish and game countless times about archery hunting and what we need and what we need to do and there was never a mention of a separate archery permit and having to have an archery ed class. So thanks again!

Headed to Idaho soon for elk and almost overlooked a few important Idaho rules, at least one of which is unique. Don't trust me - look at the rules yourself - https://idfg.idaho.gov/sites/default/files/seasons-rules-big-game-2019-2020-v2.pdf
  1. Lighted nocks not allowed - apparently the only state in the country with this rule
  2. Nothing electronic allowed on your bow - no laser rangefinder sights, but also NO RHEOSTAT or other lights for your pins
  3. No mechanical broadheads
  4. If you are hunting archery only, you need an archery permit - and the *part of the* F&G website *where you buy your tags and license* doesn't (IMHO) make this very obvious, either that you need this, or how to get it. See https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/idaho-hunting-license.173258/
I'm sure there are plenty of folks who already know all of these rules, but given the recent PMs and posts to another thread, I doubt I'm the only ignorant new Idaho hunter.

Edited to add in the text within asterisks....
Yes. Thanks for this. I'm just getting back into archery myself. Hopefully I'll be ready by next season and now I have a heads up on what to expect in this state.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Which state has the rifle weight regulations? Just interested to read it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Logan80

Lil-Rokslider
A LOT has changed here in Washington since I was hunting a lot.

Since I last hunted (besides the last 2 years) the following has changed that I can remember:

Illuminated nocks legalized
Minimum arrow weight restrictions removed
Mechanical broadheads legalized

Inline muzzleloaders (covered primer) legalized
209 shotgun primers legalized for muzzleloaders

Grizzly bear identification tests required
A huge amount of previously accessible timber lands are now permit only access

Plus about plenty of other changes. Lots of changes for "bag limits" on birds, they are constantly changing rules regarding doe/cow harvest or antler point requirements, season dates and lengths change all the time, etc.

It's super important to read the regs EVERY YEAR all the way through to see what's new. I can't imagine hunting a new state without thoroughly reading and understanding the regs for that state.