Idaho Nonres sold out

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
We need to raise the NR price and have antler restrictions on deer. I have seen countless hunters shoot spikes and forkies with the first tag... Then start trophy hunting. And yes I am talking to mostly Idaho residents when I say that with some Utards mixed in.

I'm all for the antler restrictions, but let's agree to disagree with jacking the prices. Do you think it'd make for fewer people? Doubt it. It'll just increase the percentage of the type of people who think it they spend enough money they'll be successful. They'll be stumbling around getting in everybody's way, educating the animals.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I'm all for the antler restrictions, but let's agree to disagree with jacking the prices. Do you think it'd make for fewer people? Doubt it. It'll just increase the percentage of the type of people who think it they spend enough money they'll be successful. They'll be stumbling around getting in everybody's way, educating the animals.

Shit, I could care less about the NR hunter. I worry way more about the second tag resident ******* things up. We need to get rid of the second tag altogether.

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
Is the 2nd tag issue deer only or elk as well?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
Is the 2nd tag issue deer only or elk as well?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

For elk too....there is literally so many elk in ID they let you buy 2 tags for about the same price as 1 MT elk tag...unbelievable! :)

I can’t get behind point restrictions at this time due to what a lot of unintended consequences like high grading of your young bucks, etc. doesn’t ever seem to really improve a herd in any way be it numbers, Qualilty whatever.

I think pressure needs to be distributed and that the statewide deer tags have got to go

I think the ugly secret that goes unmentioned is the fact that there are lots and lots more residents and resident hunters every year. NRs are a drop in the the bucket and a more or less static factor- as opposed to people flooding to Boise and gaining R status faster than everywhere else in the country combined.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It’s a hot topic for all of us in Idaho. I totally agree with antler restrictions. Especially when we have hard winters and then everyone shoots the forked horn deer.

I wish I had time to try to put a second tag to good use. I’m too cheap to pay that much for a second tag though. Hell, I had roadkill elk stroganoff last night for dinner.

The biggest issue is gonna be the massive influx of people moving here. Watch the unlimited tag area numbers. It’s going to be crazy. They will start capping everywhere soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
There is point restrictions around here now. You can't shoot a buck with MORE than two points on one side. That means only spike, spike fork, forky, or two X three or two x four. Watched several nice Four x fours and had to let them go.

kiddogy

WKR
It’s a hot topic for all of us in Idaho. I totally agree with antler restrictions. Especially when we have hard winters and then everyone shoots the forked horn deer.

I wish I had time to try to put a second tag to good use. I’m too cheap to pay that much for a second tag though. Hell, I had roadkill elk stroganoff last night for dinner.

The biggest issue is gonna be the massive influx of people moving here. Watch the unlimited tag area numbers. It’s going to be crazy. They will start capping everywhere soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
naw . I expect we will see hunter numbers begin drastically decline soon as all the old boys die out. I don't believe most of the youngsters have the passion for it that their elders did.

7Bartman

WKR
So happy that I bought my elk tag early this year. This would be have been really bad news otherwise. Looks like I'm going to be paying more for it next year anyway.

Rob5589

WKR
If prices go up to benefit the wildlife there, I have no issue with that. If simply to try and decrease the amount of non res hunters in an attempt to price them out, that is basically cutting off your nose to spite your face. Residents may not like non res (me) coming in but, surely IDFG likes the money we bring in. Personally, I do not find it to be "inexpensive" to hunt there. I pay about a grand for two tags (deer/elk) and a lic. I have not looked elsewhere so cannot speak to prices in other states.

I did an online survey for IDFG not too long ago in regards to cutting non res tags for elk and deer in certain zones beginning in 2020 or thereabouts. So that is coming it seems. But again, if it will help out animal numbers in the long run, I am all for it. Hell, if Idaho said no hunting for X years so that animal numbers could back on track, I am all for that too. No resource can last without proper management.

Like others have stated, the flood of people from other states is a bigger issue. And not in a good way in regards to hunting. If there are large numbers coming in from either coastline, the likelihood that they aren't pro hunting is pretty damn high.

4shore

FNG
So happy that I bought my elk tag early this year. This would be have been really bad news otherwise. Looks like I'm going to be paying more for it next year anyway.

Same here! Btw I need to give you a call soon. Been a crazy busy summer.