Idaho Nonres sold out

According to what I found, their were a TOTAL of 88,710 NR elk, deer and pronghorn tags sold in 2018 in CO. So unless only 18,000 people bought deer and pronghorn tags, that can't be right. Plus CO has way over twice as many elk as ID. At least until the wolves show up. Those snowflakes probably won't allow a season on wolves ever.

That is correct. About 69,500 Elk and the rest were deer/pronghorn. The reason why there are so many fewer deer/pronghorn is because they are not unlimited OTC licenses. Again, showing why limits are necessary in order to preserve a decent hunting experience for those who hunt CO.

87TT

WKR
And no wolves. Also the elk population went up 10,000 last year. Plus they aren't lowering the number only raising the price. And it still will be cheaper that CO.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been buying 2nd elktags every year since they first offered this in 2003 other than last year due to back surgery never have worried about other hunters especially the new generation elk hunter I worry more about the 365 day a year killer that is now in the landscape they don’t take days off get upset about weather other hunters never get tired or anything they simply thrive on killing every day...I’ve enjoyed the further opportunity this has presented at a bargain in my eyes👍 6am first day available bought the 2nd tag

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sorry, it is 69,038 nonresident elk tags, to be precise.View attachment 116539
36 million more dollars than residents makes that an easy decision for CPW. Residents don't want to pay more for their tags, try raising the price of a resident tag to $500 and listen to the wailing. You're crazy if you would rather have wolves than NR hunters. Colorado's elk herd is gonna get shredded as soon as the Front Range yuppies vote to bring them in... on the west slope.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sasquatch

WKR
Part of the reason NR tags have sold out is that the left over tags go on sale to anyone at NR prices after August 1 as a second tag.

This def helps, I got my second one. Mainly for just Incase purposes and it allows me more places to hunt.

It amazes me every year, how many people plan a hunt that will be a cross country excursion for them but will wait til last minute to get the one thing they can’t hunt without!!!

A trip that far and that long requires a lot of planning and vacation taking for the average man, so I have to imagine they are set and planned to go way in advance, yet somehow just won’t spend the money until they show up.

If you spent it and couldn’t go for some reason then so be it, but I can’t understand the mindset to delay delay delay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Well its the new normal....a guy can't base his decision on, "They didn't sell out until later in the season"...huge demand for everything elk.

The same thing has happened in MT with combo tags ....and WYO gen tags...a guy used to be guaranteed those just 5 years ago- no more.

Have you seen what Landowner tags in Utah are going for- over $10k. Some areas of NM and such are the same. This is just the right to hunt and doesn't include the license which is another $700+.

EVERYBODY WANTS TO HUNT ELK.....thats why it's just ridiculous for folks to use the excuse,"We need wolves to control them"....UGH NO, there are folks lined up willing to pay big $$$ to do that. It really outs these folks pushing the wolf agenda....we don't NEED wolves....they just think they are cool.

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
I can see the logic in the rate increase. Just sucks for guys like me who spent most of my life there and moved away. Now it's going to cost about 40% more to do it. I'm glad I bought a tag this year but future years are going to be tough now with that hefty of a price tag. I paid Idaho taxes for years, wish they would offer programs for Idaho natives like Montana does. Maybe they will down the road.

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
As a guy who has hunted both Idaho and Colorado I will say hunting elk in Idaho is like taking candy from a baby compared to OTC Colorado units.

Is the Idaho NR elk tag price increase a done deal? And if so do they have a price point set? Seems like they would want to bump into $100 to $200 to line up a little more with others, but while they are at it they should bump residents a bit. What is it $155 for a hunter combo for resident elk, deer, lion, bear, turkey, hunt & fish?

I'm fine paying a bit more and understand that's how it goes but if everyone wants better herd #s, trails, etc. Residents need to pay a bit more as well to provide $ so farmers a d ranchers can get some help to turn a blind eye to damage done by wildlife.

Make no mistake, herd #s are limited in many areas by what a few farmers or ranchers will tolerate!

Last edited:

87TT

WKR
Won't take affect until 2021 if the legislature votes it in. So next year will be the same as this.