Idaho Nonres sold out

sneaky

"DADDY"
He typed Idaho but meant Utah. Utah's 15000 any bull tags sold out at a record pace this year.
Yeah, Utah figured out a way to get people to pay 3 times as much for a single bull tag, and people fell for it hook line and sinker. "It'll spread out hunting pressure" lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You might want to read the regs. There were just under 13000 NR elk tags with all different seasons and other rules and restrictions. They went on sale LAST year on December 1st and didn't sell out until mid August of this year so that is 8 1/2 months. Not two weeks. A lot of the A tags are "any elk" too.

Sorry about that, I did mean Utah, not Idaho. I only hunted Idaho one year which was up in unit 10 (Lolo) I walked many a mile but never even saw an Elk in bow season. When I finally heard one a group from Wisconsin came in and went to the very area and only area where I had heard an elk after many days of looking. Fires were bad that year and the Forest Service ran me out of the first promising place I had found. Idaho just didn't give me any love. Maybe just in the wrong place at the wrong time? Anyway, I'm Utah bound this year and feel real good about my chances there.

Rob5589

WKR
...and for every conservative Cali transplant I talk to, I meet 8-9 others who think Idaho is a backwoods state and they're going to "fix" it. Just like they did their own state that they ran into the ground.

It's that part that I will never understand. My guess is that many want to push their same BS ideals but, at a cheaper cost of living. Colorado surely knows all about it.

87TT

WKR
Sorry about that, I did mean Utah, not Idaho. I only hunted Idaho one year which was up in unit 10 (Lolo) I walked many a mile but never even saw an Elk in bow season. When I finally heard one a group from Wisconsin came in and went to the very area and only area where I had heard an elk after many days of looking. Fires were bad that year and the Forest Service ran me out of the first promising place I had found. Idaho just didn't give me any love. Maybe just in the wrong place at the wrong time? Anyway, I'm Utah bound this year and feel real good about my chances there.
Good Luck

I could point out hundreds of yards with the refugees welcome signs in their yard in Boise and up on the bench. Actually "we're glad you're our neighbor". Cali, Washington, Texas, Florida plates are the ones I see the most, and for every conservative Cali transplant I talk to, I meet 8-9 others who think Idaho is a backwoods state and they're going to "fix" it. Just like they did their own state that they ran into the ground.

^^^^^^^^^ This is a great explanation. All of the good people in northern Idaho won't matter at all when Boise fills up. Boise's population will simply outvote the rest of the state. Simple as that. It's happened in lots of states when a metropolitan area fills up with people that are removed from nature, fishing, hunting, and where their food comes from (farmers and ranchers). The fact that 85% of people moving to ID are from CA is a terrible sign.

Teaman1

WKR
Is this a total cap for NR tags, or is it just the limited area OTC tags? Some things I’ve read make me feel like you can’t buy the unlimited area tags. Hoping I’m wrong?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Is this a total cap for NR tags, or is it just the limited area OTC tags? Some things I’ve read make me feel like you can’t buy the unlimited area tags. Hoping I’m wrong?
All NR tags for elk are sold out. Idaho isn't like CO, they have a total tag cap for NR tags. 12,815 total including capped and uncapped zones. I think there might be some deer tags left though.

Yeah, Utah figured out a way to get people to pay 3 times as much for a single bull tag, and people fell for it hook line and sinker. "It'll spread out hunting pressure" lol

Not sure how you figure people are paying 3 times as much for a bull tag in Utah? I say that cause I pay much less for a Utah Bull tag than I would in Idaho, Colorado or any place else in the west that I know of? Not only that I can buy a antlerless Elk control tag on top of the bull tag and the total is still less than Idaho for just a Non-Res Bull tag and I can take 2 Elk home be I that lucky. I don't figure a lot of folks go to Idaho to change it. I suspect many go there cause they like it better than where they came from. That's generally why folks move anyway.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Not sure how you figure people are paying 3 times as much for a bull tag in Utah? I say that cause I pay much less for a Utah Bull tag than I would in Idaho, Colorado or any place else in the west that I know of? Not only that I can buy a antlerless Elk control tag on top of the bull tag and the total is still less than Idaho for just a Non-Res Bull tag and I can take 2 Elk home be I that lucky. I don't figure a lot of folks go to Idaho to change it. I suspect many go there cause they like it better than where they came from. That's generally why folks move anyway.
They did the multi season tag for residents that's $150. Instead of picking your hunt and paying $50 , now they have more people out during each hunt and still only get one bull with that tag. It's typical Utah logic. That's how you get people to pay 3 times as much for the same elk. You can keep the logic about spreading pressure. That's complete BS. I don't miss Utah and their nonsense one bit. Sure, even as a NR you can get an elk tag cheaper in Utah, and hunt way more pressured units, or shoot a spike or cow in the good units. Their entire system is set up on getting one, maybe two good tags in your lifetime. No thanks. Wyoming blows the doors off Utah for opportunity to hunt good bulls on a regular basis, as does Idaho and Montana.

They did the multi season tag for residents that's $150. Instead of picking your hunt and paying $50 , now they have more people out during each hunt and still only get one bull with that tag. It's typical Utah logic. That's how you get people to pay 3 times as much for the same elk. You can keep the logic about spreading pressure. That's complete BS. I don't miss Utah and their nonsense one bit. Sure, even as a NR you can get an elk tag cheaper in Utah, and hunt way more pressured units, or shoot a spike or cow in the good units. Their entire system is set up on getting one, maybe two good tags in your lifetime. No thanks. Wyoming blows the doors off Utah for opportunity to hunt good bulls on a regular basis, as does Idaho and Montana.

That's what many states do, figure out how to get more revenue. I suppose I might feel the same if I lived there but I don't so having a shot at getting any Elk is fine with me. I saw lots of Elk last year even though it was my first time in UT and considering all the pressure on the any bull hunt had I just a little more luck or skill I wouldn't have come back empty handed. I hope to correct that this year. Hope you find what you are seeking this season as well.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Essentially they figured out a way to sell 15k dedicated hunter tags without requiring the volunteer hours.

Idaho CTD

Lil-Rokslider
Been buying 2nd elktags every year since they first offered this in 2003 other than last year due to back surgery never have worried about other hunters especially the new generation elk hunter I worry more about the 365 day a year killer that is now in the landscape they don’t take days off get upset about weather other hunters never get tired or anything they simply thrive on killing every day...I’ve enjoyed the further opportunity this has presented at a bargain in my eyes👍 6am first day available bought the 2nd tag

I beat you by an hour. I was up at 4:30 to do a greenfield hunt with my dad and buddy though. For 416.00 I cant hunt bulls in any other state and I get to learn areas of my state that I wouldn't usually get to without the second opportunity. I do think we need to press F&G to let us buy them sooner next year though. NR get to start buying tags 12/1 the year before or 8 months before we get to buy our second tags. I understand wanting the additional license fees but if they are raising prices anyway they should let us buy them at least a month earlier.

^^^^^^^^^ This is a great explanation. All of the good people in northern Idaho won't matter at all when Boise fills up. Boise's population will simply outvote the rest of the state. Simple as that. It's happened in lots of states when a metropolitan area fills up with people that are removed from nature, fishing, hunting, and where their food comes from (farmers and ranchers). The fact that 85% of people moving to ID are from CA is a terrible sign.

This is exactly what will happen. Its only a matter of time. Im from and live in Nevada and its what has happened here. Californians sell their $1 million 1000 sqft home and come here and buy a $500,000 mansion and they love it. They love the low regulations and lower taxes but for some reason cant resist the huge to change it all.

They love Vegas and because of it 70% of the vote is in Vegas. Vegas runs the state, what they want they get.

Its just the way it goes and has always gone. Montana and Wyoming are next in line.

However none of that is relevant to the thread tittle. I bought my elk tag right after I didnt draw one in Idaho and I’m glad I did. To everyone that has a tag best of luck and be safe out there and to those that got surprised by the early sellout, it’ll be earlier next year so plan accordingly.