Idaho Nonresident Tag Sellout

OP
D

Donjuan

WKR
Oh, thanks

I thought some of the zones did not have a limit.

Fishon78

FNG
All units have a cap. The good units sellout in a day or less and the the others takes a few days. I talked to IDFG and they said all out of state deer and elk tags have sold out. They may have some not claimed that come available in August.

I grew up in Idaho but live in Nevada. This is the first time in years I was not able to grab an A elk tag.

sneaky

"DADDY"
They do a return tag sale every month leading up to the season. You just have to be quick. Very few tags on those sales though.

Drew@selway

Lil-Rokslider
They need to make the penalty for returning a tag back hurt more, or change the sale date after all the other state draws are done

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

friczech

FNG
I grew up in Idaho but live in Nevada. This is the first time in years I was not able to grab an A elk tag.
I hear ya. Last year our party, mix of residents and non residents, took what tags we could get and hunted a new unit. Previous to last year we had been hunting the same zone for 12 years. This year only one of the non residents was able to secure a tag. With the way the draw is currently structured I don’t know if all the non residents in our group will ever all draw in same year again.

IIRC this past December the tags were sold out by the next day. I got tags for myself and both my sons, and watched as more and more units sold out throughout the day.

Wrench

WKR
It happened in hours. I would never dream that a panhandle archery tag was so coveted. I had to buy a B tag because it was all that was left and that was just hours into the sale.

You poor bastards that have never hunted the jungle are in for a treat.

It happened in hours. I would never dream that a panhandle archery tag was so coveted. I had to buy a B tag because it was all that was left and that was just hours into the sale.

🤣😂

They do a return tag sale every month leading up to the season. You just have to be quick. Very few tags on those sales though.

They did a waiting room for the April sale. So more have to get lucky than be quick. I did not get a low number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about the Lolo Zone? I was shocked, laughed and shook my head. It DID take a little while, but even it eventually sold out… for now. A lot will be returned after the draw though. I lived and hunted there for 8yrs and all my family has lifetime licenses. Fun is hard to find there. I can’t imagine what the guys will think when it’s raining .75in per day opening week of rifle. Wet thimble berry, devil’s club and ferns are my favorite. Idaho selling out their first come, first serve tags proves that $ does grow on trees.

Donjuan- Adding to some of the above posts and to answer your question… some Zones have historically sold out very quickly since the early 2000s. Others have not sold out since the die off stemming from the winter of 96/97, until the last couple years. Elk numbers in N Central ID were huge, then a major winter kill, then fast forward a few years and the wolf came into the equation. Numbers have just simply never even came close to early 90s numbers since.
But, the tags “selling out” is a bit of a shell game in the N Central Zones. Guys buy them, but apply for controlled hunts. If they draw a controlled hunt, they turn back in their general zone tags. Other guys just end up turning them back in for other reasons. Then 1 of the guys above mentioned the unsold Outfitter tags. So… in August there will be available tags again. Some Zones will have a handful, others quite a few more. I don’t remember exactly what the numbers were last year. But in 2020 I remember ID was raving about selling out all their tags for the first time in decades, I finally got online to look in August, and of course there were a bunch for sale again. But remember, they were still available for a reason.
So bottom line, keep watching closely. Especially after the controlled hunt draw.

OP
D

Donjuan

WKR
Thanks for all the information.

I was hoping to get a tag in a specific zone when they go on sale. I didn't realize they sold so fast!