Idaho Nonresident Tag Sellout

Rob5589

WKR
Thanks for all the information.

I was hoping to get a tag in a specific zone when they go on sale. I didn't realize they sold so fast!
Also know that Idaho is basically a random draw for general tags; you log on to your account and are given a number in the "waiting room." That number will determine when you are able to buy your tag. Along with how many times the system crashes during check out. Yes, it's frustrating.

OP
D

Donjuan

WKR
How do you all feel the pressure in idaho [now that there are limits] compares to wyoming general and otc in colorado? I know there can be a lot of variables

I cannot compare ID pressure to CO or WY. I have never hunted CO and I have hunted draw units only for deer/elk in WY.

I do have a significant amount of experience in general units in ID, but it was prior to everyone going absolutely crazy the last few years. Since moving back to MT, my family applies for controlled hunts in ID. If we don’t draw, we don’t hunt ID. Each year my oldest and I have always had the fallback plan that if no one in our family draws anything good in early-Oct, we would buy him an OTC tag for what has historically been one of the least appealing Zones in ID and we’d go hunt some of my previous stomping grounds. That is why I’ve always paid attention to the FG website after the draw occurs.
Personally, I think pressure in the Southern OTC Zones has always been concentrated to certain areas and fairly constant. Mainly due to them selling out their allotted tags for quite a while. In the Northern Zones, the numbers of tags sold has obviously increased to the cap. So in a way, pressure would have to go up to a certain degree. But for the most part in ID I would give 2 recommendations… 1) If you get away from an ATV trail (legal or not legal), you will get away from a LOT of the people. 2) Once steelhead season opens, a LOT of camps disappear.

How do you all feel the pressure in idaho [now that there are limits] compares to wyoming general and otc in colorado? I know there can be a lot of variables
Don'r know how it compares but I'm ready for Idaho to raise prices and not allow NR to big game hunt here anymore, or make resident tags limited with a draw now as well.

Way too many people breaking the rules and way too overcrowded.

Don'r know how it compares but I'm ready for Idaho to raise prices and not allow NR to big game hunt here anymore, or make resident tags limited with a draw now as well.

A finite mindset views situations in life as either win or lose, as though there is a scorecard. An infinite mindset is grateful, builds relationships, and works toward to common good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huntnnw

WKR
How about the Lolo Zone? I was shocked, laughed and shook my head. It DID take a little while, but even it eventually sold out… for now. A lot will be returned after the draw though. I lived and hunted there for 8yrs and all my family has lifetime licenses. Fun is hard to find there. I can’t imagine what the guys will think when it’s raining .75in per day opening week of rifle. Wet thimble berry, devil’s club and ferns are my favorite. Idaho selling out their first come, first serve tags proves that $ does grow on trees.
rain? how about snow and not being able to access a ton of country. Been snowed on every year and 2 years ago was a salvage mission after 5 days to get camps out of the mountains.

Huntnnw

WKR

and about 70% of those ID plates you see driving around on any given day moved there in the last 25 years

and about 70% of those ID plates you see driving around on any given day moved there in the last 25 years
I wasn't saying it to sound like the grumpy old resident, honestly. It's just the way it goes, population has grown to the point where there's just too many hunters for OTC unlimited units.

That's just my personal opinion, I just would like to enjoy the experience again and not have combat hunting. Pressure is really bad, worse in rifle (had a guy scope me last year) but even archery now it's really bad in some units.

Absolutely due to residents, not NR.

Fullfan

WKR

I have been hunting Idaho since 1983, last year I saw more camps and hunters than ever. All were from Idaho. And fyi there are many guys like me, regardless of the price of tags. We will still be trying to get tags and will be in Idaho,.

I have been hunting Idaho since 1983, last year I saw more camps and hunters than ever. All were from Idaho. And fyi there are many guys like me, regardless of the price of tags. We will still be trying to get tags and will be in Idaho,.
Yeah, resident population has exploded, that's why I feel we should go to a draw system now, instead of unlimited resident OTC tags up north.

It's not a good experience anymore in a large majority of areas, and the residents are very openly breaking the road laws which is beyond frustrating at this point.

Rob5589

WKR
Yeah, resident population has exploded, that's why I feel we should go to a draw system now, instead of unlimited resident OTC tags up north.

It's not a good experience anymore in a large majority of areas, and the residents are very openly breaking the road laws which is beyond frustrating at this point.
A draw won't keep people from breaking the law. What needs to happen is good residents putting pressure where needed to enforce laws as currently written.

A draw won't keep people from breaking the law. What needs to happen is good residents putting pressure where needed to enforce laws as currently written.
A draw would hopefully reduce hunting pressure though. On another note though, I don't want to really derail the thread with my opinion on resident pressure.

TheTone

WKR
A draw would hopefully reduce hunting pressure though. On another note though, I don't want to really derail the thread with my opinion on resident pressure.
Curious what level of tag numbers you think would be good/fair for most of northern idaho to make a difference? I think the panhandle could easily make changes by splitting into multiple elk zones instead of one for the entire region and also reduce some of the season opportunities on the a and b tags. They are amazingly liberal compared to the rest of the state with regards to both tags offering archery, rifle and muzzleloader opportunities

IdahoHntr

WKR
A draw is the worst thing that could happen to Idaho IMO. Limit technology, limit season length, have multiple shorter seasons to spread people around, do anything before a draw. Once you go draw, you can never get tags back. Idaho has hung its hat on being an opportunity state, and I hope they stick to it. Ask anybody in Utah if their general units are crowded. They are all draw tags (for deer) and it is still the poster child for hunting pressure. If you can't escape pressure in Idaho right now, I promise you won't escape it if things go to a draw. In fact it will be a worse feeling once you've waited 3 years and still have plenty of hunting pressure to contend with.

Plenty of country out there to explore without people around. It just takes a change of tactics from years past and I can't understand why it is so hard for people to adjust instead of just doing the same old thing.

twsnow18

FNG
Plenty of country out there to explore without people around. It just takes a change of tactics from years past and I can't understand why it is so hard for people to adjust instead of just doing the same old thing.

This. Plenty of decent hunting still around.

Huntnnw

WKR
I wasn't saying it to sound like the grumpy old resident, honestly. It's just the way it goes, population has grown to the point where there's just too many hunters for OTC unlimited units.

That's just my personal opinion, I just would like to enjoy the experience again and not have combat hunting. Pressure is really bad, worse in rifle (had a guy scope me last year) but even archery now it's really bad in some units.

Absolutely due to residents, not NR.
ive been saying this for years that the days of residents buying general tags is coming to a close. There will come a time where there is just way to many hunters to have a free for all general season hunting