Idaho NR deer tags Sold Out

jmh00043

FNG
You don't have to have a guide in Montana for deer or elk or antelope. Actually MT isn't really any more expensive than any other state. You pay as much or more to hunt deer and elk in combo in Wyoming for example than you do in MT. If you do the special draw in Wyoming you most certainly do.
Wyoming you have to have a babysitter if you're hunting wilderness areas, but you can run naked through those same wilderness areas if you aren't hunting.
There are some spectacular areas of Utah and Arizona, those states aren't just desert areas. You would be surprised what the terrain looks like in the mountains. The same with Nevada.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the Montana clarification. I have been out to Utah, Arizona and Nevada not a big fan. I keep reading everywhere that scouting is a must if you want to fill your tag at least. For someone who lives almost 5000 miles away round trip, you got any advice in regards to scouting?
Ive thought about trying to buddy up with someone who lives out there with knowledge and loves hunting, to learn it and offer a Gulf of Mexico deep sea fishing trip/ weekend stay at my beach house in the panhandle of FL, or a hunt (whitetail, quail or eastern turkey) on some private lands I have here in AL. Think I would get any takers?

OP
sneaky

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thanks for the Montana clarification. I have been out to Utah, Arizona and Nevada not a big fan. I keep reading everywhere that scouting is a must if you want to fill your tag at least. For someone who lives almost 5000 miles away round trip, you got any advice in regards to scouting?
Ive thought about trying to buddy up with someone who lives out there with knowledge and loves hunting, to learn it and offer a Gulf of Mexico deep sea fishing trip/ weekend stay at my beach house in the panhandle of FL, or a hunt (whitetail, quail or eastern turkey) on some private lands I have here in AL. Think I would get any takers?
A) where in Utah, AZ and Nevada have you been?
B) a January rut deer hunt in AL would probably get some interest, although I would imagine some guys would be more interested in the fishing lol

I'm from Tennessee originally so I've already done all that but a lot of these guys haven't, if you put some feelers out you may get some takers

jmh00043

FNG
A) where in Utah, AZ and Nevada have you been?
B) a January rut deer hunt in AL would probably get some interest, although I would imagine some guys would be more interested in the fishing lol

I'm from Tennessee originally so I've already done all that but a lot of these guys haven't, if you put some feelers out you may get some takers

Not for hunting, for vacation with wife. But we went to Zion- saw some huge elk in there while hiking Angels Landing lol, Grand Canyon hiking saw a big 6x6, Devils Bridge near Sedona, Hoover dam, Salt Lake, etc.

Ive love it out west and am hoping to get trade some hunt/fish just to learn the ropes so I am not just completely wasting my tag, even though the experience will be great no doubt.

When you say put some feelers out, you mean post it in a thread by itself?

OP
sneaky

sneaky

"DADDY"
Not for hunting, for vacation with wife. But we went to Zion- saw some huge elk in there while hiking Angels Landing lol, Grand Canyon hiking saw a big 6x6, Devils Bridge near Sedona, Hoover dam, Salt Lake, etc.

Ive love it out west and am hoping to get trade some hunt/fish just to learn the ropes so I am not just completely wasting my tag, even though the experience will be great no doubt.

When you say put some feelers out, you mean post it in a thread by itself?
Yeah, post it in a separate thread by itself. You saw the desert type environments in those states but you never got in the high country. Your opinions might change once you see the higher elevations in those states. You saw the Wasatch front from SLC, but unless you made the trip up into the range you just saw the aggravation that is the Front in the valley. It's a different world in Nevada once you get away from Hoover Dam and Vegas in general.

jmh00043

FNG
Well, thank so much for your advice. if you are ever down this way just let know. Have a plot of 640, 440 and 100 acres. Thats nothing out west, but if you from Tenn you would understand.

wrkn2hunt

FNG
I got a tag this year. Hunted Idaho last in 2017 after a brutal winter. I love the state but don't hunt it every year depending on what I draw in other states. I love the scenery, hiking, and pack in hunting. We usually pack in and glass, hike, and beat our bodies up and usually eat our tags as we hold out for quality deer. I can tell you the stimulus check didn't help me at all as my wife spent that and I didn't get to touch it.

Wassid82

WKR
I think it's going to come down eventually where R and NR are going to have to pick a zone to hunt, and zones will be capped for everyone. There's just a ton of new resident hunters that have to be accounted for and trying to blame all overcrowding on NR is really missing the mark.

I have wondered about this for the last couple of years. Like everyone else I have seen this increase in new state residence hunters. I have recently sold some hunting rifles via private party sales and all buyers have been new residents. However I wonder how many of these first time hunters will be long term sportsmen buying OTC tags. I know a few people that asked me to take them hunting....they tried it once thought I was trying to kill them on a POW death march in the mountains and then decided hunting really wasn't the right past time for them.