Idaho NR prices go up

Take your kid hunting IN YOUR HOME STATE, '99 hours' notwithstanding. Take him deer hunting, take him grouse huting, take him hare hunting....unless elk is being demanded by the ten year old. Good grief.
Change your laws, change your bureaucrats.. Tired of guys constantly whining about all of this. Either change your system or move, but stop the bitching. Idaho has been cutting it's own throat with substandard fees for many years, this is way overdo. Count your blessings he drew the tag he did.

Same goes for you Kali guys, fix your broken systems, its all pathetic that one or two + states have to placate the masses for their own state failures.

Not that easy. Most people are not single issue voters. And most single issue voters are not hunters :).

I don’t have a good answer. But it sure sucks that so many people were either born in states that suck for hunting or work there now. I was one of them. I found a way out. But a lot can’t.

When I lived in ca I hunted what I could when I could. I also voted for people I thought would help and I was involved in some activism in the state. Nothing changed for the better. So the idea that fixing your state and hunting your state is an answer is pretty naive.

Make the rest of the states cater to NR is naive too. I don’t know what to do. It’s a sucky situation for so many.

bsnedeker

WKR
Not that easy. Most people are not single issue voters. And most single issue voters are not hunters :).

I don’t have a good answer. But it sure sucks that so many people were either born in states that suck for hunting or work there now. I was one of them. I found a way out. But a lot can’t.

When I lived in ca I hunted what I could when I could. I also voted for people I thought would help and I was involved in some activism in the state. Nothing changed for the better. So the idea that fixing your state and hunting your state is an answer is pretty naive.

Make the rest of the states cater to NR is naive too. I don’t know what to do. It’s a sucky situation for so many.
I get where you're coming from but I have to disagree with you on one point: There is almost no one in this country that CAN'T move out of there current state to state that allows them more hunting opportunities. The state you live in is a choice. You have chosen to live there because you are close to family, or you have better job opportunities, or whatever your reason is. You have chosen to live in a place where hunting is more difficult because you have other priorities in your life that are more important to you and that is completely fine.

I chose to move to Montana because hunting and being outdoors is one of my families biggest priorities. We took a big hit doing so as I said in an earlier post, but I can't imagine a scenario where I would ever contemplate moving back to a state that doesn't offer the opportunities I have here in MT. I hunted here for years as a NR, paid my dues happily, fell in love with the state and people, and made a decision to move. Everyone CAN do this, but it will almost certainly mean significant sacrifices you will have to make and not very many people choose to make those sacrifices.

Every choice has consequences. If you choose to live in a state where you can't hunt elk and are passionate about hunting elk...well buddy, you are going to have to pony up and pay your bill. I pay mine every single day that I live here and do so gladly.

sasquatch

WKR
I get where you're coming from but I have to disagree with you on one point: There is almost no one in this country that CAN'T move out of there current state to state that allows them more hunting opportunities. The state you live in is a choice. You have chosen to live there because you are close to family, or you have better job opportunities, or whatever your reason is. You have chosen to live in a place where hunting is more difficult because you have other priorities in your life that are more important to you and that is completely fine.

I chose to move to Montana because hunting and being outdoors is one of my families biggest priorities. We took a big hit doing so as I said in an earlier post, but I can't imagine a scenario where I would ever contemplate moving back to a state that doesn't offer the opportunities I have here in MT. I hunted here for years as a NR, paid my dues happily, fell in love with the state and people, and made a decision to move. Everyone CAN do this, but it will almost certainly mean significant sacrifices you will have to make and not very many people choose to make those sacrifices.

Every choice has consequences. If you choose to live in a state where you can't hunt elk and are passionate about hunting elk...well buddy, you are going to have to pony up and pay your bill. I pay mine every single day that I live here and do so gladly.

This. The only issue with this is, if everyone did move the state would change a lot just off of human encroachment. Habitat would shrink and the suburbs would expand.

If we keep spreading out there won’t be much habitat left one day. We won’t live to see it but that don’t we shouldn’t care. However that’s the attitude of today’s world.

“Hell with it, I’ll be gone by time it happens”

Nobody hardly stands up for anything, it’s all about individuals now, they don’t even think about what is being left for the furtive generations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rob5589

WKR
Hoards of people moving into Idaho is the real issue. Pretty sure suggesting more people move there isn't going to help.

Broomd

WKR
Still can't believe the complaining and appeasement by some parents, 'cuz a ten year old wants an elk! LOL...
Methinks D A D wants an(other) elk....
When I started hunting I was 13y/o and killing a cottontail or squirrel meant the world to me. I'll never forget carrying my first rabbit into school on a snow day; bunny in one hand, Marlin model 60 in the other to show my teachers my prize. I shot that rabbit right behind the school.

Shooting a pheasant at 15 with my Mossberg 600 (b/day present) was a dream come true, catching an 8" bluegill was a trophy!
What the hell happened? Good lord is society spoiled..

bsnedeker

WKR
Hoards of people moving into Idaho is the real issue. Pretty sure suggesting more people move there isn't going to help.

At no point did I suggest that everyone should move to a western state. I'm simply pointing out the fact that if you choose to live in a place where you don't like the hunting opportunities you are going to have to pay for the privilege of coming into another state to hunt an animal that is owned by that state.

My main point is that I, and every other person who lives in a state like MT or ID, pays a price every single day for the privilege of living in a place where we have insane amounts of hunting opportunities. Jobs can be scarce, and high-paying jobs are extremely rare. A small population of people is dispersed over a large geographic area which means we have much more limited access to things like shopping, arts and entertainment, fine dining, and social venues like bars and clubs (none of those things I care about in any way, but they are very important to many people). The weather can be a monster depending on where you are coming from.

So yeah, you want to come to my state to hunt the price is listed on the website so it shouldn't come as a surprise. What should also not come as a surprise is that those costs are going to continue to increase and they will increase for NRs at a much faster rate then they will for residents. Either pay the price, or don't. Be thankful that you live in a country where you have the opportunity and the privilege to hop in your truck, drive for a day or 2, and hunt the most incredible animal in the world (elk) in one of the most beautiful places on the planet (the western mountains).

Totally get what your saying. We did the same. Everything is a balance of pros and cons. Hunting has to be the top priority by a lot for many families to get them to move. I completely understand and mostly agree with your point.

I’m a musician. Not much of a jazz scene in Wyoming :) we talk often about moving and what priorities mean the most to us. Leaving Wyoming means leaving elk hunting (or at least leaving elk hunting at the level I do it now). But staying means I have no one else to make music wirh. It’s a tough situation. We are blessed with good remote jobs so that isn’t even a thought while it is most people’s top thought!

When we moved here there were a dozen reasons. Hunting was one of many. Now it’s become my passion (read: obsession!). Not something I really thought would happen to me as a low key adult onset hunter. But now elk (hunting, watching, reading, everything about elk) has become a year round hobby that I absolutely love and hate to think about not having.

I get it. I don’t have a good answer. I can’t even pinpoint the question exactly. I’m just a guy going through life trying to enjoy it and make good decisions for my family. If I ever claim to be more I’m lying :)

Wrench

WKR
I'm one of few men who have custody of their kids but moving out of state isn't an option for another 6 years for me.

Bit worry not, I am working the deal right now and I'll be right down the road from you Broomd.

Tough as it is for non residents, we can only take so many out of state hunters here in Idaho. Every gate or trailhead seems to have a truck with California or Washington plates at it. If raising prices helps lower nonresident hunter numbers then I’m all for it.

Hey we hunted Idaho but we didn’t park at a trail head or a gate. Are we welcome?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I'm one of few men who have custody of their kids but moving out of state isn't an option for another 6 years for me.

Bit worry not, I am working the deal right now and I'll be right down the road from you Broomd.
This is where I'm at too. Its not realistic for some people because life happens.

Sure I could choose to leave. But my daughters would be here. They are more important.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk