Idaho NR prices go up

Rob5589

WKR
I was reading an agenda for a meeting IDFG is having on the 19th of November about this. Sounds like for deer at least in units that more than 15% of hunters were non residents they will cap the non resident tags in that unit at 15% of the 3 year average of total hunters in the unit. For units where it was less than 10% they will cap the tags at 10% of the 3 year average of total hunters in that unit. I think it was the same for elk but am not sure. The thing I really didn't like is unlike elk where its done in zones, it sounds like each deer tag will only be good for one unit..... I don't care about the price increase but being locked to one single unit kind of sucks. The real value of the Idaho tag to me was the ability to basically scout until I found a nice deer somewhere in the units close to me. In some ways I think this will improve hunting for the residents. In other ways it may hurt them. If you are forcing non residents to focus in one unit, they will definitely be more successful because they aren't going to bounce around from place to place thinking the grass is greener like so many do. But who knows. Either way I hope the residents get what they want out of this. I am grateful to get to hunt Idaho. Just seeing some of the bucks with awesome genetics up there makes it worth it even though they are few and far between.
Where did you see that agenda? Hopefully they get to it soon since tags go on sale in 19 days. Not much time to figure it all out.

codycleve

FNG
The meeting is november 20th so i would assume shortly there after.

So if the number of non resident tags does not change but they are capping units, that means they would have to cap at or above the current non resident load. Why would they do that. I know between deer and elk the salmon region will loose about 2400ish non resident hunters due to cap if all goes as planned. Will another unit or region be able to absorb that many hunters.

Marble

WKR
I Kidd you not; I was in the local sporting goods store yesterday. I was in the checkout line, and the couple behind me was talking about how ridiculous it was that they sold handguns in the same store they sold hiking gear in.... WTF.
Ill eventually be one of the Commies heading your way. Fortunately, the part of CA I live in is ultra conservative, as am I, which is why I'll be leaving. But the greater bay area and LA Basin are insane. INSANE!!!

$930 for an OTC NR tag...

I'm planning on Wyoming for archery elk, Idaho is my back up plan.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

SteepandDeep

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe the folks from out East can come to WA and pay our inflated NR rates to hunt deer and elk. On the bonus side of WA: far fewer game, uncontrolled wolf populations, shorter seasons, predator populations exploding due to loss of hound hunting and baiting and every ridge looks like a pumpkin patch. I'll gladly pay the NR fees to hunt Idaho and hope the locals are polite to me and know I'm making a generous investment in their conservation program. Good Luck Everyone.

“There are no known wolf packs or a breeding population in Washington state” 😒

It’s gonna be interesting to see what happens If the proposal passes at the Commission meeting. There may be some issues the at fall under the “Law of Unintended Consequences”.

Another part of the proposal is that the statewide general deer tags would become zoned tags for NR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m curious what effect this will have on point creep in other nearby states. Will MT and WY get swamped with applicants who are jumping ship from ID?

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
Tough as it is for non residents, we can only take so many out of state hunters here in Idaho. Every gate or trailhead seems to have a truck with California or Washington plates at it. If raising prices helps lower nonresident hunter numbers then I’m all for it.

Ill eventually be one of the Commies heading your way. Fortunately, the part of CA I live in is ultra conservative, as am I, which is why I'll be leaving. But the greater bay area and LA Basin are insane. INSANE!!!

$930 for an OTC NR tag...

I'm planning on Wyoming for archery elk, Idaho is my back up plan.

Not commenting on political leaning, but a lot of people don’t realize much of CA is similar to the rest of the west. There is more to ca than LA and SF. Not all of us being that junk with us :)

bsnedeker

WKR
Not commenting on political leaning, but a lot of people don’t realize much of CA is similar to the rest of the west. There is more to ca than LA and SF. Not all of us being that junk with us :)
Agreed. It's not the state, it's the large urban areas where everyone lives on top of each other and somehow seems to make people believe that having the federal government control every aspect of our daily lives is a good thing....whoops, that maybe got a bit too political...my apologies :whistle:

Marble

WKR
Whenever I tell people I'm from CA I always preface it with what I said above.

I've ran into a few Idaho residents hunting a few miles off the road, only one was some what rude. The rest were very nice and great to chat with.

AGPank

WKR
How many of us hunt federal public lands? Idaho is 60% federal land, funded by taxpayers. Theoretically we all should have equal access to our federal lands. Growing up in Colorado I always heard theories about why the different rates, but as the costs have grown incrementally for residents and exponentially for non-residents. The answer is simple, these items are often voted on by residents, who aren’t going to vote to raise their fees. Many small communities get a big economic boost from hunting tourism and as the saying goes, don’t bite the hand that feeds you.

I’d be interested in hearing a true legal position in regards to this, especially on federal lands.

Every state like to stick it to tourists. I don’t pay state income tax because FL makes so much money off tourism. We also have minimal public land available to hunt.

Many western states have thousands, if not millions, of acres of land that is landlocked by private ownership, which isn’t fair to sportsmen. That should be something we should all lobby to change.

I'll still pay it, but the price jump in NR youth tags is disappointing.
Hopefully all this extra revenue will let IDFG upgrade their printers to non disappearing ink models. 😁

Rob5589

WKR
How many of us hunt federal public lands? Idaho is 60% federal land, funded by taxpayers. Theoretically we all should have equal access to our federal lands. Growing up in Colorado I always heard theories about why the different rates, but as the costs have grown incrementally for residents and exponentially for non-residents. The answer is simple, these items are often voted on by residents, who aren’t going to vote to raise their fees. Many small communities get a big economic boost from hunting tourism and as the saying goes, don’t bite the hand that feeds you.

I’d be interested in hearing a true legal position in regards to this, especially on federal lands.

Every state like to stick it to tourists. I don’t pay state income tax because FL makes so much money off tourism. We also have minimal public land available to hunt.

Many western states have thousands, if not millions, of acres of land that is landlocked by private ownership, which isn’t fair to sportsmen. That should be something we should all lobby to change.

There is a court precedent. Someone will post the actual case. As far as federal lands, everyone has access. But that does not mean you have access to the wildlife there which is owned by the states.

Federal land. You own it. Go use it. All Americans own federal public land.

State’s animals (or at minimum state acts as a trust to manage the animals). Sucks that some states have career opportunities and some have elk :).

As far as landlocked public areas go, that does suck. I kinda understand the history and property rights that lead to this. I’m not sure how to uncrack the egg without paid easements or purchases of private land by public. It sucks. But this is where we are and it’s a matter of organization and money.

Rob5589

WKR
I'll still pay it, but the price jump in NR youth tags is disappointing.
Hopefully all this extra revenue will let IDFG upgrade their printers to non disappearing ink models. 😁
Told my daughter last night Idaho may be a no go for her next year due to increase. She was disappointed to say the least. Her deer tag went up 650% and the lic tripled. We'll see...

TTSX180

Lil-Rokslider
Look at the rest of the West they have all went up to around $1000 over the past few years It is what it is. Some units in Colorado have had over 6000 hunters during bow season, I would believe that many will continue to go to a draw system. Seen a gentleman from New York in Idaho this year. Had a quad with a blind on it 10 feet off the road, he was happy to be there.

Broomd

WKR
The only part that I am truly disappointed with is the youth fees. Idaho had a great opportunity to interest kids in the sport. My son at 9 had zero interest in hunting while my daughter at 12 was a stone cold killer. This year my son, at 10 decided to pass hunter's ed if id take him elk hunting. He did his part, pulled a Idaho youth controlled tag and has been able to have cross hair on 4 so far without shooting one. He's learned more about elk in 30 days than I did in my first 5 years.

I'm not sure I can swing buying he and I tags at the new rate which is a bummer because it has really started to hook him in the corner of the mouth. If I took him out for Washington's 99 hour hunt he'd say screw that.

The adult fee increases make sense (minus the archery and muzzy fee) but it saddens me to think how many other kids and their parents are not going to be able to swing the kid fees.

As much as we hate hunter competition....we need youth to be the new us in the future.....or we'll have cell towers in the church and piss sitting down.
Take your kid hunting IN YOUR HOME STATE, '99 hours' notwithstanding. Take him deer hunting, take him grouse hunting, take him hare hunting....unless elk is being demanded by the ten year old. Good grief.
Change your laws, change your bureaucrats.. Tired of guys constantly whining about all of this. Either change your system or move, but stop the bitching. Idaho has been cutting it's own throat with substandard fees for many years, this is way overdo. Count your blessings he drew the tag he did.

Same goes for you Kali guys, fix your broken systems, its all pathetic that one or two + states have to placate the masses for their own state failures.

Last edited:

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
Take your kid hunting IN YOUR HOME STATE, '99 hours' notwithstanding. Take him deer hunting, take him grouse huting, take him hare hunting....unless elk is being demanded by the ten year old. Good grief.
Change your laws, change your bureaucrats.. Tired of guys constantly whining about all of this. Either change your system or move, but stop the bitching. Idaho has been cutting it's own throat with substandard fees for many years, this is way overdo. Count your blessings he drew the tag he did.

Same goes for you Kali guys, fix your broken systems, its all pathetic that one or two + states have to placate the masses for their own state failures.
Yeah pretty much that👆🏼