Idaho NR prices go up

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Every time I see an increase in NR tag prices it seems more NR's are hunting. Every time I see a recession it seems that more NR's are hunting. Every time I see expensive fuel prices we seem to have even more NR hunters. I don't think anything will slow that down. I say double the prices in every Western state and see if it changes. If it doesn't, then they know they can still go higher. If it does change, that's not a bad thing.

Wrench

WKR
The only part that I am truly disappointed with is the youth fees. Idaho had a great opportunity to interest kids in the sport. My son at 9 had zero interest in hunting while my daughter at 12 was a stone cold killer. This year my son, at 10 decided to pass hunter's ed if id take him elk hunting. He did his part, pulled a Idaho youth controlled tag and has been able to have cross hair on 4 so far without shooting one. He's learned more about elk in 30 days than I did in my first 5 years.

I'm not sure I can swing buying he and I tags at the new rate which is a bummer because it has really started to hook him in the corner of the mouth. If I took him out for Washington's 99 hour hunt he'd say screw that.

The adult fee increases make sense (minus the archery and muzzy fee) but it saddens me to think how many other kids and their parents are not going to be able to swing the kid fees.

As much as we hate hunter competition....we need youth to be the new us in the future.....or we'll have cell towers in the church and piss sitting down.

ncstewart

WKR
Ky non res;
150 for lic
550 bull tag
400 cow tag
185 deer (4 of them)

594 elk tags allotted for 2020, less than 10% went to non residents. And there is a 3 year "sit out" period if drawn.

If Idaho only gave out 50 non res elk tags per year they'd probably be cheaper as well. Non draw, otc elk tags are an entirely different deal.

Now this makes no sense. If the argument is supply and demand then KY should be the most expensive state to hunt. They should charge non res what Westies do for sheep or moose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sram9102

WKR
I don't see how people are comparing the prices in KY to ID... Comparing an over the counter for NR hunters to what basically is a once in a lifetime tag with the KY elk tag is a bit of a reach. NR drawing odds in KY are astronomically bad and with no bonus point system it doesn't get better over time.

Wrench

WKR
I don't see how people are comparing the prices in KY to ID... Comparing an over the counter for NR hunters to what basically is a once in a lifetime tag with the KY elk tag is a bit of a reach. NR drawing odds in KY are astronomically bad and with no bonus point system it doesn't get better over time.
And let's compare available land as well....pretty much you can't hunt 20% of idaho without permission, the rest is a wide open pass.

SlimWhitman

Lil-Rokslider
It’s bc everyone knows Idaho has better elk hunting than Colorado

I thought in Idaho's constitution it said "Idaho shall manage its wildlife on behalf of non-residents who are entitled to top notch elk hunting for a low price because $8 of their annual federal tax payments go to fund the United States Forest Service".

No?

Comparing KY or TN NR elk opportunities to ID... talk about grasping for straws.

To me, arguing that this is turning hunting into a "rich mans" or "elitist" sport and pointing at the gap between R and NR fees are conflicting ideas. If one is truly worried about hunting being available for the common man, the common men are the resident sportsman who can get cheap licenses because their Game and Fish departments are funded by NR much more so than the people driving across the country to try and shoot an animal.

bsnedeker

WKR
If you want cheap elk hunting you can make the choice to upend your life and move out west. It's exactly what I did. I took a pretty damn big hit in salary to do so but my entire family loves this lifestyle so it was worth it to me. You NR's complaining about tag costs should take that into account...you are most likely living an area with a much higher standard of living and higher wages than those of us living out west...of course there are exceptions but by and large this is true. So basically you get no sympathy from me...living out here costs me thousands of dollars per year so you dropping 1K per year in my state to come hunt an elk seems pretty dang reasonable.

If you want cheap elk hunting you can make the choice to upend your life and move out west. It's exactly what I did. I took a pretty damn big hit in salary to do so but my entire family loves this lifestyle so it was worth it to me. You NR's complaining about tag costs should take that into account...you are most likely living an area with a much higher standard of living and higher wages than those of us living out west...of course there are exceptions but by and large this is true. So basically you get no sympathy from me...living out here costs me thousands of dollars per year so you dropping 1K per year in my state to come hunt an elk seems pretty dang reasonable.

Great post! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

sasquatch

WKR
The only part that I am truly disappointed with is the youth fees. Idaho had a great opportunity to interest kids in the sport. My son at 9 had zero interest in hunting while my daughter at 12 was a stone cold killer. This year my son, at 10 decided to pass hunter's ed if id take him elk hunting. He did his part, pulled a Idaho youth controlled tag and has been able to have cross hair on 4 so far without shooting one. He's learned more about elk in 30 days than I did in my first 5 years.

I'm not sure I can swing buying he and I tags at the new rate which is a bummer because it has really started to hook him in the corner of the mouth. If I took him out for Washington's 99 hour hunt he'd say screw that.

The adult fee increases make sense (minus the archery and muzzy fee) but it saddens me to think how many other kids and their parents are not going to be able to swing the kid fees.

As much as we hate hunter competition....we need youth to be the new us in the future.....or we'll have cell towers in the church and piss sitting down.

I’d think the adults would just buy the kid tag and take them if it came down to one or the other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pro953

WKR
Compared to other states your hunting is way below average

I am sure an exception can be found, but generally speaking license cost has no correlation to hunt quality.

I would actually love to hear from someone who has actual knowledge on how tag/license costs are determined. It always feels like someone just threw a dart at the board. I assume it varies wildly state to state.

Elk tags are being raised in anticipation for the lost revenue of less tags being sold due to the capping and limiting of NR per unit.

Maybe the folks from out East can come to WA and pay our inflated NR rates to hunt deer and elk. On the bonus side of WA: far fewer game, uncontrolled wolf populations, shorter seasons, predator populations exploding due to loss of hound hunting and baiting and every ridge looks like a pumpkin patch. I'll gladly pay the NR fees to hunt Idaho and hope the locals are polite to me and know I'm making a generous investment in their conservation program. Good Luck Everyone.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrAP