Idaho NR prices go up

Been hunting Idaho for the last 6 years, they'll get my money again this year...it is what it is! We have a good area that we hunt, and I'd rather pay extra for my tag then have to go completely learn another state and area...Trust me, we drive through NM, CO, WY to get to Idaho!

If you want cheap elk hunting you can make the choice to upend your life and move out west. It's exactly what I did. I took a pretty damn big hit in salary to do so but my entire family loves this lifestyle so it was worth it to me. You NR's complaining about tag costs should take that into account...you are most likely living an area with a much higher standard of living and higher wages than those of us living out west...of course there are exceptions but by and large this is true. So basically you get no sympathy from me...living out here costs me thousands of dollars per year so you dropping 1K per year in my state to come hunt an elk seems pretty dang reasonable.

That’s what I did as well. We lived in CA and hated it. The elk hunting (for $46 tag!) was a really big reason we came to Wyoming.

It wasn’t just the price of the tag though. I can hunt from home anytime I have the time. I can shoot nice 4x4 Muleys on my own property. Everything in life is choices between pros and cons. Sucks that it costs so much for NR, but a bunch of NR complaining won’t do any good. The states will always cater to their own. So we can bitch all day, but the truth is we have to make our own decisions and sometimes that sucks. I chose to move here and one of the major pros was the cheap hunting ($200 last year for bull elk, cow elk, buck antelope, Doe antelope, and deer all combined!). Not everyone can do this so I get that it sucks for NR.

87TT

WKR
Personally, I think NRs should look to their own states for opportunity. When I was younger, raising a family and lived somewhere else, I used to dream about hunting other states. I could not justify the costs so didn't do it much. I hunted UT deer 2x, CO deer2x elk1x and NM deer 1x in 49 years of hunting. When I retired. I moved so I could. I like that Idaho has the opportunities that it does. I like that I can now hunt as much as I do. I am not too concerned with NRs issues with IDFG. I live in a small town and see the residents just trying to get by and squeeze out some time to hunt in between making a living. So if you NRs have to wait and hunt here every few years, oh well. If you don't like the way we do it here, don't come.

prm

WKR
How did the states manage game when NR licenses were a fraction of what they are now? What services or activities demand the extra revenue?

The increasing cost and the changes in zoning and draws has really impacted one of the most important parts of hunting, “family hunting spots”. People can’t afford to hunt the areas their families have hunted for a century or more! And with the draw system they rarely get the chance to hunt their family areas. It is what it is. But it sucks.

When I lived in CA, the spot my father in law and his family hunted became a draw unit instead of general. Last year he was healthy enough, our party drew and he was able to relive his youth and pass it on to us. He passed away two years later. We had a special experience so many can’t now. To me that’s what hunting is about.

The Popularity of big game western hunting is Great in my opinion, but it’s also really damaging the family tradition aspect.

87TT

WKR
The increasing cost and the changes in zoning and draws has really impacted one of the most important parts of hunting, “family hunting spots”. People can’t afford to hunt the areas their families have hunted for a century or more! And with the draw system they rarely get the chance to hunt their family areas. It is what it is. But it sucks.

When I lived in CA, the spot my father in law and his family hunted became a draw unit instead of general. Last year he was healthy enough, our party drew and he was able to relive his youth and pass it on to us. He passed away two years later. We had a special experience so many can’t now. To me that’s what hunting is about.

The Popularity of big game western hunting is Great in my opinion, but it’s also really damaging the family tradition aspect.
That's part of why I am against the draw system coming here. During the general season, there are family camps everywhere here. It's a zoo sometimes but is neat seeing little kids playing in camp and people having a good time.

sasquatch

WKR
Let kids learn to hunt on other game close to home. Who says we have to subsidize kids from other states. When I was a kid, just hunting was it for me whether it was rabbits or deer.

Oh I’m not arguing against that

But the response was to “now my kids can’t hunt”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's part of why I am against the draw system coming here. During the general season, there are family camps everywhere here. It's a zoo sometimes but is neat seeing little kids playing in camp and people having a good time.
I'm guilty of this, but I think we get so caught up in the hunt that we lose sight of the fact that there is a lot more to this than a bunch of dudes with $3000 custom rifles and $1500 matching camo outfits and a pocket full of primos calls. I would trade every animal I've ever shot for the memories and experiences. Hopefully we can find a happy medium where we can often get animals AND memories for as many as possible :)

sasquatch

WKR

I’m not saying this isn’t true to some degree, but on average o see the average persons REAL issues are the way they living outside of their means. Not the cost to hunt!!

I bet “when they could afford” to hunt with their family they didn’t show up in 60k trucks decked out in sitka.

Rob5589

WKR
As a non res even I shake my head at all the whining. The increases will minimally slow tags sales. Those that have a passion for it will make it happen. If non res really want to change things for themselves, then don't hunt Idaho for 2-3 years and they'll get the message. But we all know it won't happen.

Curious how many residents will pay the 651 for a second tag. That is at least triple what they now pay for all their lic and tags combined.

I’m not saying this isn’t true to some degree, but on average o see the average persons REAL issues are the way they living outside of their means. Not the cost to hunt!!

I bet “when they could afford” to hunt with their family they didn’t show up in 60k trucks decked out in sitka.

This is true. My father in law killed more animals than anyone I have ever met. He did it all in crappy trucks he was always working on in camp, a red and black flannel jacket, filthy jeans, and the same boots he wore to work every day.

I'm guilty as charged, but this sort of "celebrity"/fancy big game hunting I feel like is taking it's toll on the more traditional outdoorsman. It's fine, I enjoy trying to be like the guys I see on TV :). But it is sad to me that these old timers aren't able to hunt the way they did when they were kids.

The Kids can still "hunt" just maybe not be the killer. You can learn to hunt by being involved but not pulling the trigger.
or maybe keep youth cow tags affordable, or maybe a "youth cow" add-on for a full price bull tag? Dad (or mom) get the bull, kid gets the cow, family gets meat, everyone gets to learn to hunt.

sasquatch

WKR
The Kids can still "hunt" just maybe not be the killer. You can learn to hunt by being involved but not pulling the trigger.

Yep, that’s another option I agree 100%.

87TT

WKR
or maybe keep youth cow tags affordable, or maybe a "youth cow" add-on for a full price bull tag? Dad (or mom) get the bull, kid gets the cow, family gets meat, everyone gets to learn to hunt.
I don't think that would be such a great idea. Kids today don't learn to wait or earn something they want. Success rates are not all that great across the board as it is. We do plenty for the res youth and others. We shouldn't and can't for everyone else.

If you want cheap elk hunting you can make the choice to upend your life and move out west. It's exactly what I did. I took a pretty damn big hit in salary to do so but my entire family loves this lifestyle so it was worth it to me. You NR's complaining about tag costs should take that into account...you are most likely living an area with a much higher standard of living and higher wages than those of us living out west...of course there are exceptions but by and large this is true. So basically you get no sympathy from me...living out here costs me thousands of dollars per year so you dropping 1K per year in my state to come hunt an elk seems pretty dang reasonable.
Lol, SPOT ON. I remember the wailing and nashing of teeth up here in AK when the fees almost doubled for NRs. Simple solution, move up here then.... No? Too cold and dark for ya? Then cry to someone else.

I don't think that would be such a great idea. Kids today don't learn to wait or earn something they want. Success rates are not all that great across the board as it is. We do plenty for the res youth and others. We shouldn't and can't for everyone else.
This is so true! Not to detract the thread, but I have a 12yr old stepson that has killed more big deer than my 25yr old son, he hunt's with my FIL, and gets to shoot whatever he wants, he gets bummed out when i take him to my place and won't let him shoot whatever!

Wrench

WKR
I’d think the adults would just buy the kid tag and take them if it came down to one or the other

My response was from my personal experience on a fish and wildlife advisory board and one specific topic was hunter retention and recruitment.

Like it or not, we in the northwest will be seeing people migrate here from areas of very opposing views on politics and resources. Having more like minded people comes from experience....and good experiences keep interest kindled.

I'd still buy my kid a tag, but my expenses are a fraction of the average joe.

I don't think any state is required to support out of state youth, but if the youth opportunities are reasonably priced, adults will pay more for themselves knowing their own level of interest vs the kids. Not many parents are gonna shell out 500% more for a maybe....and parents are likely to apply more pressure to the kids to squeeze the trigger.

Point being, absorbing the youth cost into the adults still brings in the money....but also keeps the interest of the youth.

Two birds, same rock.

87TT

WKR
If a kid wants to hunt, he or she will find a way. Out of state big game hunts are not the only option. You don't do your kids any favors by bargaining with them to "recruit them". I remember vividly the first time I was allowed to accompany the grown men hunting. Right down to the snacks we ate up on the mountain. I was 12. That was 55 years ago. I didn't actually get a license and hunt for two more years. I still chased rabbits with an old recurve in the fields on the edge of town until then. I didn't get to hunt out of state and for elk until I was in my 30's. My son killed his first deer at 13. A couple years later, he told me he just didn't want to any more so I went alone or with friends. Now he wants to hunt with me and we have the last few years. Way back when he was 12, I bought him a UT deer tag and license. Full price. He ate tag soup. I also paid for his ID tags and licenses (NR). He wanted to but I paid it because I wanted to. He is 43 and has a family to provide for.
I hope your son keeps hunting but if it is just for the out of state elk hunts, then maybe he's really not into it yet.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Won't change a thing. Pickup trucks are $70K.....everything is getting more expensive, and it doesn't matter. People keep buying. It's still a fraction of the cost of going on a guided hunt.