Idaho NR Tag Allocations

Rob5589

WKR
Interesting, but a bit confusing. Looking forward to seeing the actual number of tags available. There are only 13 days until they go on sale, cutting it close.

It seems to me, this is really pushing it on time.

Like Rob5589 is saying, only days remain. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

sneaky

"DADDY"
From reading that, it's pretty simple how they're going to do it. Units with more than 15% NR participation in uncapped zones will have a cap of 15%. If the units had less than 15% NR participation then they'll be limited to 10% of tags. I would say they've already crunched their numbers and now are just making it official.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
They have their past 5 year averages to go off of, so now they're going to vote and make it official. Outfitters had their say in it looks like.

I could care less about elk. It’s already in zones.

What I am most curious about is non resident deer hunters and how this will effect hunter distribution. Is the general deer tag gone for non residents??? I hope so? Is it going to be unit by unit tags? Or managed by zones?

This is a GIANT change in regards to deer. And it has been barely talked about.

What constitutes as “participation”? Many deer hunters participate in hunting multiple units, in multiple zones. This is the main problem they are trying to address as I understand it,

I applaud IDFG on this. The GS deer tag has to include management of hunters.

If I was a non-resident hunter I would be paying very close attention.

Rob5589

WKR
I could care less about elk. It’s already in zones.

What I am most curious about is non resident deer hunters and how this will effect hunter distribution. Is the general deer tag gone for non residents??? I hope so? Is it going to be unit by unit tags? Or managed by zones?

This is a GIANT change in regards to deer. And it has been barely talked about.

What constitutes as “participation”? Many deer hunters participate in hunting multiple units, in multiple zones. This is the main problem they are trying to address as I understand it,

I applaud IDFG on this. The GS deer tag has to include management of hunters.

If I was a non-resident hunter I would be paying very close attention.
Sounds like no more general deer for non res, only residents. Now you'll have to pick a zone for the deer tag, same as elk. With people hunting various zones, it will be interesting to see the caps. It may take a few years of doing it that way before they get a good handle on numbers.

sneaky

"DADDY"
That document tells you everything you need to know. 15% cap for deer in zones with high NR participation, 10% in units with historically low NR participation. That's for elk or deer.

sneaky

"DADDY"
They already have their historical numbers to base it off of

Chad E

WKR
I can’t believe it’s not bigger news. There are going to be a pile of non res deer hunters very upset 🤣😂 and I’m going to enjoy a 50% reduction in hunter numbers in my favorite units 😎

I agree this is a huge change that is going to surprise a lot of people. It will have a really big impact on some units for sure. A one unit only tag sure changes the perspective of an Idaho deer tag for me and I am sure a lot of other folks.

MHWASH

WKR
I’m curious what the economic impact will be to the IDFG?
I’d also like to know how many non residents actually hunt more than one unit. I’m guessing most guys come over for one week and hunt within a 10 mile radius, concurrent with the elk tag they also hold.

As I sit here and ponder this. There are a couple of units I hunt that will probably have increase in non resident hunters. It will be very interesting to see how this shakes out.

I will say. For the greater good, it is time Idaho implements this. Hunters have to be managed. Why Idaho manages hunters in elk zones and not deer has never made a bit of sense to me.

I would even support it for residents. How I can hunt all across the state, for literally months, for about 20.00 is beyond me. And mostly, if them Boise guys stay out of my honey holes, I’d be happy 🤣🤣🤣

Mtnboy

WKR
I agree this is a huge change that is going to surprise a lot of people. It will have a really big impact on some units for sure. A one unit only tag sure changes the perspective of an Idaho deer tag for me and I am sure a lot of other folks.
Makes it seem like almost all the other Western States.

Its time for Idaho to quit being the “WalMart of the West” for non-res tags. This is a step in the right direction.

Chad E

WKR
Makes it seem like almost all the other Western States.

Its time for Idaho to quit being the “WalMart of the West” for non-res tags. This is a step in the right direction.

I didn't say it wasn't a good move. Having some sorta handle on hunter numbers is a good move. Doing it only on nonresident tags is only part of the equation if this is actually geared at mule deer management.
I was simply pointing out that the current Idaho general tag is a great value in the versatility it allows. A one unit tag is not as attractive. Im sure they will still sell just fine.

Chad E

WKR
As I sit here and ponder this. There are a couple of units I hunt that will probably have increase in non resident hunters. It will be very interesting to see how this shakes out.
I agree 100% it will be intresting to see how they roll this out. Im imagining based on the commission brief that it will have capped and uncapped units with the overall quota unchanged. It will definitely redistribute non residents from the popular capped units into other units. I see no way that this doesn't create more pressure in some units while reducing pressure in others which may solve the "crowding" issue at least for awhile.

I can't imagine the whole quota being divided into specific caps for every single unit. I just don't see there being demand for expensive nonresident 2x2 tags.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I agree 100% it will be intresting to see how they roll this out. Im imagining based on the commission brief that it will have capped and uncapped units with the overall quota unchanged. It will definitely redistribute non residents from the popular capped units into other units. I see no way that this doesn't create more pressure in some units while reducing pressure in others which may solve the "crowding" issue at least for awhile.

I can't imagine the whole quota being divided into specific caps for every single unit. I just don't see there being demand for expensive nonresident 2x2 tags.
The commission brief says exactly that, every game management unit for deer will have caps, zones for elk, with the statewide total being the same it has for 30 years.
a58c1564f7325c427975cd89aade82ac.jpg

ODB

WKR
Well.. I'm glad I'll be a resident (again) by then... 20 days to go... and lemme tell you fellas... the last two times I had to give up my Idaho residency were painful moments...

Rob5589

WKR
I’m curious what the economic impact will be to the IDFG?
I’d also like to know how many non residents actually hunt more than one unit. I’m guessing most guys come over for one week and hunt within a 10 mile radius, concurrent with the elk tag they also hold.
Financial impact will be minimal, they raised prices to help balance it out.

A decent elk unit isn't necessarily a decent deer unit, so that may play a role in tag sales. Not everyone has the ability to make say, an archery elk hunt, then return later for rifle deer. Or make two separate archery excursions.