Idaho NR Tag Allocations

IdahoElk

WKR
All I see is a bunch of salty Res complaints about non res killing in their backyard... Don't know any Residents that are consistent killers personally that are complaining. Ive hunted ID for years and never had an issue with crowding if you park your truck and hike...

Biggest threat I see is making it harder to get tags across the West for the average guy in basically every state now hurts us all. WE are our own worst enemy.
Since archery success rates are not that high I tend to think killing is only one aspect of hunting for many. I’d rate the quality of the hunt as being more important and in my opinion the quality here in the last 10 years has gone way down to a point of taking the fun out of it.

mwebs

WKR
I am curious if this has any residents rethinking their unit choice for next year? We are considering heading back to a unit we used to hunt that became slammed with NRs. The cap number for the unit compared to overall hunter numbers there is going to be a noticeable difference in pressure next year. Unless residents all flock there..

I am curious if this has any residents rethinking their unit choice for next year? We are considering heading back to a unit we used to hunt that became slammed with NRs. The cap number for the unit compared to overall hunter numbers there is going to be a noticeable difference in pressure next year. Unless residents all flock there..

I will definitely be watching some units that I have basically wrote off. Without going into detail, let’s say in a particular unit there was 1500 total hunters. 800 of which non-residents. That unit will be reduced to approximately 150 non residents under new system. That will reduce pressure by damn near 50%.

And because I do not want to mention units and hot spot, I’m not going into details, but there will be a few units even better. To my knowledge, IDFG does not publish non-resident participation. But if someone is willing to dig, you can get information, and it will really surprise you.

Scooter37

FNG
As I check some units what am I missing as to the reason some units still have 40 percent plus of the tags going to nonresident? Is that because of the outfitter allocations

not trying to burn anyone’s spot but take LaLo (misspellings intentional)for instance. Everyone knows it’s full of wolves and hunting sucks there anyways, better of in Colorado , ect ect.

about 850 total hunters last year between all zones but over 400 NR tags between a and b when total quota of residents is about 1500.

Take tag for instance
If NR tags (216) come out of total quota (404) there are more NR A tags than there are A tags for residents by the time they can buy them in June

I’m probably missing something if someone can please help fill me in

sneaky

"DADDY"
As I check some units what am I missing as to the reason some units still have 40 percent plus of the tags going to nonresident? Is that because of the outfitter allocations

not trying to burn anyone’s spot but take LaLo (misspellings intentional)for instance. Everyone knows it’s full of wolves and hunting sucks there anyways, better of in Colorado , ect ect.

about 850 total hunters last year between all zones but over 400 NR tags between a and b when total quota of residents is about 1500.

Take tag for instance
If NR tags (216) come out of total quota (404) there are more NR A tags than there are A tags for residents by the time they can buy them in June

I’m probably missing something if someone can please help fill me in
It was already a capped zone, and capped zone tag numbers for NR did not change under the new system.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Craig4791

WKR
The "Salty Residents" that are consistent killers aren't complaining on Rokslide, that creates lots of heat and no light. We are keeping a careful eye on the areas that we consistently kill in. When nonresident encroachment gets high, we go to the source with facts and numbers, not anecdotal BS, and bend the ear of people that can make a difference. Try it in your state....you might not have to come hunt mine anymore. I'm not trying to troll you, I'm serious. This is an example of a Game department listening to their constituents and taking action. Needs to happen all across the country.
Nah ill keep hunting your state, mine and all the others in the west just as I have with likely little affect on MY tag strategy, I just see it as an overall negative to hunters. Not trying to troll you either BTW just seems like ppl are complaining about something they ought to be able to control themselves. If you drive roads and camp off the road system I guarantee you will feel like the pressure is 100% greater than it really is. I hunt multiple states a year every year and that's the case everywhere I go...

Craig4791

WKR
All we see are a bunch of pissed off NR who are going to have a harder time getting their fallback tags anymore. At least Idaho is making an effort to help their residents have more opportunities. Maybe AZ should take notes.

Im not that mad at all. Just trying to look at the bigger picture. I'll get my tags when I want them until they go to a draw after a few more years of complaining by Res cause the truth is these ppl won't be happy til non res plates are gone in their state. When it goes to draw and tags are reduced they will fall back on hiking your Res tag fees to pay for the budget deficit and on and on... all while making it harder for ppl to hunt and that hurts us all.

Gobbler36

WKR
All I see is a bunch of salty Res complaints about non res killing in their backyard... Don't know any Residents that are consistent killers personally that are complaining. Ive hunted ID for years and never had an issue with crowding if you park your truck and hike...

Biggest threat I see is making it harder to get tags across the West for the average guy in basically every state now hurts us all. WE are our own worst enemy.
hahaha funny you can say that when you live in AZ, how often are NR's able to get a tag there again????

im a resident and have killed consistently every year, this state is growing, resident hunter numbers are going, and eventually will need to be addressed so this is a good first step in addressing the Walmart of the west mentality our fish and game has had.

Nah ill keep hunting your state, mine and all the others in the west just as I have with likely little affect on MY tag strategy, I just see it as an overall negative to hunters. Not trying to troll you either BTW just seems like ppl are complaining about something they ought to be able to control themselves. If you drive roads and camp off the road system I guarantee you will feel like the pressure is 100% greater than it really is. I hunt multiple states a year every year and that's the case everywhere I go...
Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll try getting out of the truck next fall. Just think....all these years hunting and I never considered the most obvious thing that could contribute to my success. If someone had only told me sooner......

How about you do the same. Think before YOU speak. Idaho will be just fine without all you Washingtonians coming over here and mucking things up. This isn't something they just came up with, it's been on hunter surveys for years, has been beat to death ad nauseam on the forums everywhere already, and it's finally getting done. Just because you don't like it doesn't change the fact that the Idaho Game Commission is tasked with taking care of IDAHO'S wildlife first and foremost for RESIDENTS of IDAHO. It really is that simple.

Well said.

Gobbler36

WKR
How about you do the same. Think before YOU speak. Idaho will be just fine without all you Washingtonians coming over here and mucking things up. This isn't something they just came up with, it's been on hunter surveys for years, has been beat to death ad nauseam on the forums everywhere already, and it's finally getting done. Just because you don't like it doesn't change the fact that the Idaho Game Commission is tasked with taking care of IDAHO'S wildlife first and foremost for RESIDENTS of IDAHO. It really is that simple.

love that

Im not that mad at all. Just trying to look at the bigger picture. I'll get my tags when I want them until they go to a draw after a few more years of complaining by Res cause the truth is these ppl won't be happy til non res plates are gone in their state. When it goes to draw and tags are reduced they will fall back on hiking your Res tag fees to pay for the budget deficit and on and on... all while making it harder for ppl to hunt and that hurts us all.
I'd happily pay more to keep less NR from coming here. It's hard to evade hunting pressure in my experience even if you're hiked pretty far back in. Everyone is the next Randy Newberg now, everyone wants to be a backpack hunter now. I will tell you with all honesty, my honey hole put me in a state of shock this year.

Not because I shot another 300+" bull, but because at 11pm at night, 3 NR hunters walked through my camp 7 miles back from main road and asked me about camping near by. It's over crowded. Keep in mind, I boated in, and then hiked camp several miles further.

sasquatch

WKR
would anyone be willing to share with me how to view past archery NR estimates in units?

Last edited:
Good for Idaho. When you have a state that is considerably easier (or harder) for non-residents to get a tag, either through price or draws, then an imbalance gets created. It seems like Idaho returned the balance by getting in line with most other western states. The suddenness of the correction may be painful, but it'll all work out.

Rob5589

WKR
would anyone be willing to share with me how to view past archery NR estimates in units?
They don't publish separate NR vs res that I have found. If you look at 2019, 2020 not up yet, and see the new quotas you can sort of extrapolate past numbers.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'd happily pay more to keep less NR from coming here. It's hard to evade hunting pressure in my experience even if you're hiked pretty far back in. Everyone is the next Randy Newberg now, everyone wants to be a backpack hunter now. I will tell you with all honesty, my honey hole put me in a state of shock this year.

Not because I shot another 300+" bull, but because at 11pm at night, 3 NR hunters walked through my camp 7 miles back from main road and asked me about camping near by. It's over crowded. Keep in mind, I boated in, and then hiked camp several miles further.
You need a bigger boat

Marble

WKR
I don't believe this is even remotely true.

He was talking about total hunter numbers, not NR.

Total hunter numbers will be down very little.

Take Pioneer A tag, word on the street is it was one of the units that got NR tags slashed by 50%. Basic math says that means that historically, there were about 600 NR tags and now will be 300.

You telling me you're gonna notice the difference between 2300 people and 2000?

C'mon man.
The only thing I like about that is it seems like everyone i run into there is a non resident. Ive met two residents in 3 years hunting there. Idk if that means hunt a shit area, or they just hunt local to where they live or what.

But it would reduce total NR cruising around where I go.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
The only thing I like about that is it seems like everyone i run into there is a non resident. Ive met two residents in 3 years hunting there. Idk if that means hunt a shit area, or they just hunt local to where they live or what.

But it would reduce total NR cruising around where I go.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Yeah, it's gonna reduce NR by way more than 300 in that zone

ndbuck09

WKR
there's a problem when you drive out of a spot and you see more Washington/Oregon plates on a 5 to 1 Idaho plate ratio on trucks parked over 50 miles of back road. Thank you IDFG for taking action.