Idaho NR Tag Allocations

slim9300

WKR
When Wyoming and Alaska and Montana doubled their NR tag prices it didn't reduce demand. Nevada elk tags are $1200 and you're in it for thousands in license costs before you ever sniff drawing one. Simply raising tag prices doesn't curb demand, limiting tags and making hunters choose where they want to hunt curbs demand and spreads pressure. Now, you want to reduce NR pressure long term? Wait til the economy tanks and you'll see a drop in NR pressure in pretty short order.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

A little over a decade ago it was a roughly 50/50 chance of drawing a non-resident combo tag in Montana. After the price increase (about $400) it became nearly 100% draw odds up until 2 years ago. How does this not support a reduction in demand? Montana is going to see the odds of drawing an elk, deer or combo license plummet to 40-50% after the changes in Idaho. Idaho will certainly see a significant drop in non-resident tag revenues. I will be curious to see how much. I don’t really care about Idaho but I’m not excited about the effect this will have on Montana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
A little over a decade ago it was a roughly 50/50 chance of drawing a non-resident combo tag in Montana. After the price increase (about $400) it became nearly 100% draw odds up until 2 years ago. How does this not support a reduction in demand? Montana is going to see the odds of drawing an elk, deer or combo license plummet to 40-50% after the changes in Idaho. Idaho will certainly see a significant drop in non-resident tag revenues. I will be curious to see how much. I don’t really care about Idaho but I’m not excited about the effect this will have on Montana.

We'll find out in 6 days. My guess is every elk tag will sell out quickly. Deer tags being now limited to one area may slow the sales down. If they were limited like elk it wouldn't matter as much. Maybe. Hopefully they do not have a system crash like last year.

Could be right about MT, maybe WY as well. ID is still cheaper but not by much. If coming from the east it doesn't make much sense to pass through WY/MT to save what ends up being a couple tanks of gas.

87TT

WKR
We'll find out in 6 days. My guess is every elk tag will sell out quickly. Deer tags being now limited to one area may slow the sales down. If they were limited like elk it wouldn't matter as much. Maybe. Hopefully they do not have a system crash like last year.

Could be right about MT, maybe WY as well. ID is still cheaper but not by much. If coming from the east it doesn't make much sense to pass through WY/MT to save what ends up being a couple tanks of gas.
The deer tags are limited like the elk tags too.

slim9300

WKR

You may be right. I think you will see the decent units sell out for elk but the low success/low elk density units probably won’t sell out until after the other draws are complete, or not at all. At nearly $1000 for elk alone, it will be interesting.

Exactly. WY, CO and maybe even OR are about to see big jumps in non-resident elk hunters and lower draw odds for elk and deer tags as a whole as a result of Idaho’s price hike. In my opinion Idaho has been a low quality general tag over the last 10 years (minus a few units) and now it’s even lower quality. That is not to say you can’t work hard and have a good hunt or be a consistent killer of elk/deer. I have always bought an Idaho license and hunted bear with a wolf tag in tow during the spring, but I never hunted deer and elk. I have also spent plenty of time in a handful of units/regions all across the state though.

The one positive may be that the deer numbers have an opportunity to come back in popular general units as a result of this change. I see that as a good thing and a step in the right direction. I would not be against making deer or elk unit-specific draws and eliminating all ‘general’ hunting. This would make it much easier to control resident and non-resident pressure and re-grow the elk and deer numbers. Of course revenue would suffer and that’s why it probably won’t happen.

You may be right. I think you will see the decent units sell out for elk but the low success/low elk density units probably won’t sell out until after the other draws are complete, or not at all. At nearly $1000 for elk alone, it will be interesting.

Exactly. WY, CO and maybe even OR are about to see big jumps in non-resident elk hunters and lower draw odds for elk and deer tags as a whole as a result of Idaho’s price hike. In my opinion Idaho has been a low quality general tag over the last 10 years (minus a few units) and now it’s even lower quality. That is not to say you can’t work hard and have a good hunt or be a consistent killer of elk/deer. I have always bought an Idaho license and hunted bear with a wolf tag in tow during the spring, but I never hunted deer and elk. I have also spent plenty of time in a handful of units/regions all across the state though.

The one positive may be that the deer numbers have an opportunity to come back in popular general units as a result of this change. I see that as a good thing and a step in the right direction. I would not be against making deer or elk unit-specific draws and eliminating all ‘general’ hunting. This would make it much easier to control resident and non-resident pressure and re-grow the elk and deer numbers. Of course revenue would suffer and that’s why it probably won’t happen.

What are the tags and license costs now for NR? Sorry if that was posted some where else and I missed it.

wapitibob

WKR
Oregon will only see an increase for 2021, our unlimited nr otc elk tags are in the works to go away in for 2022. Nr will be limited to 5%.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
What are the tags and license costs now for NR? Sorry if that was posted some where else and I missed it.
For archery permit, hunting license (not including fishing) and elk tag, I came up with $919 (rounded), compared to $592 (rounded) for last year.

ID_Matt

WKR
Im not that mad at all. Just trying to look at the bigger picture. I'll get my tags when I want them until they go to a draw after a few more years of complaining by Res cause the truth is these ppl won't be happy til non res plates are gone in their state. When it goes to draw and tags are reduced they will fall back on hiking your Res tag fees to pay for the budget deficit and on and on... all while making it harder for ppl to hunt and that hurts us all.

I don't think you are seeing the complete picture. Yes you can get off the road and avoid people for the most part in most areas but the main point here that I think is a success is a start to somewhat limiting hunters in a unit. Before this change, there was no way of controlling which unit a person hunted. Of 15,000 NR deer tags, you could potentially have every single one of them hunt 1 or 2 units. Zero way of controlling that before. I am sure you wouldn't love having 15,000 out of state plates at your local trail head that you have hunted for years. Now it is at least controlled.