Idaho or Colorado for diy elk

Hello all,

We are planning an elk trip for 2021. Initially we were planning Idaho, but I've been reading there is more and more out of state pressure.

We are looking at otc rifle tags

I understand my chances are stacked against me. Anyone have pointers to help sway our decision?

I have been to Colorado once I think in 06 or 07 but did not even see an elk. I feel like I am a better hunter now and there are a lot more resources for knowledge.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Do you have a unit or zone in mind for Idaho? Idaho is not easy hunting friend.

OP
Nubs

Nubs

FNG
Did you end up making a decision on CO vs. ID? Curious if you do what tipped you one way or the other.
Gonna do Colorado. Still looking into which unit. Would like to pick an either sex unit but haven't got that far.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

CLB38

FNG
I’ve only hunted Wyoming In pressures public land. Not knocking anyone but I think so many people don’t know how to hunt elk, have the energy to work elk country for many days in a row, or know the land well. I think if you can string together effort, knowledge of how to hunt elk, and knowledge of the land, success rates go through the roof.

So to all the discouraged hunters, keep learning, spend time in the land you want to hunt if possible, and get in shape so you can put in max effort day after day. No guarantee but I’ll bet that quadruples the odds of success.
Very helpful as I start formulating plans for future western diy trips. Thanks!

sneaky

"DADDY"
“Initially we were planning Idaho. But I’ve been reading there’s been more and more pressure”

So you’ve read that that’s not the case in Colorado? Lol
I laughed out loud at this, considering there's 4x as many NR hunters in CO

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk