Idaho or NM

Well, it wasn't my year for the Elk draw this year and I decided to buy a tag for Idaho. As I did the research I found that I was going to be in an extremely high pressure area in Idaho ( Tex Creek) and while I am no stranger to gettin into the nasties for a good bull I hedged my bet and sought out a reasonable LO tag in NM. I settled on a tag for GMU 9, the Mt. Taylor area, which I know is going to be another high pressure unit but I at least get to choose between archery or ML.

Last year I drew a 16E second MZ tag and was ultimately unsuccessful. Hoping to change that around this year and what can I say, the fever got me. I am curious about cell phone coverage in that area. Seeing how it's pretty close to Albuquerque I am not expecting any problems but if anyone has ever had any I would appreciate the heads up.

Av

OP
TFAvalanche
LOL!! It was worth a shot!

I would've asked the same thing. I plan on doing both, I just haven't decided in which order. I may go up in early Sept for archery in ID for a greater chance at filling the freezer with a cow or spike and then try my luck with the infamous Mt.Taylor herd for a bull so there's less pressure on nabbing one if ID goes well. Or, run a back to back hunt for two bulls. From what I've read both the Mt. Taylor herd and ID bulls will be in the same class, 250 or so. I guess it's 6 one way half dozen the other.

Firewater

FNG
2 bull hunts sounds like a good year, if you decide to do both, unit 9 ML might be a better choice assuming you have archery elk in Idaho so you won’t be under the crunch time with hunts on the same dates. If you are able to spot and pattern the bulls in both areas pretty good during scouting then you can’t beat 2 archery hunts. Like @trophyhill mentioned I wouldn’t expect the service to be any better than spotty since I was last up there.

Some one wants to buy an Idaho tag 🤔

OP
TFAvalanche
2 bull hunts sounds like a good year, if you decide to do both, unit 9 ML might be a better choice assuming you have archery elk in Idaho so you won’t be under the crunch time with hunts on the same dates. If you are able to spot and pattern the bulls in both areas pretty good during scouting then you can’t beat 2 archery hunts. Like @trophyhill mentioned I wouldn’t expect the service to be any better than spotty since I was last up there.

Some one wants to buy an Idaho tag 🤔

I decided on doing the archery for Idaho and then ML for NM. I can scout NM but relying on E scouting and research for Idaho and any suggestions or direction anybody is nice enough to send me. Pretty stoked for a full calendar this fall and since our department cancelled all vacations since February I’ll have plenty of time to burn and will welcome the respite from this Covid mayhem we’re all dealing with.

Av

KHNC

WKR
Still shocks me the number of people wanting to hunt IDaho for elk. Gonna be plenty of disappointed tag soup holders this fall.

OP
TFAvalanche
Still shocks me the number of people wanting to hunt IDaho for elk. Gonna be plenty of disappointed tag soup holders this fall.

Hard to be disappointed when you're sitting in beautful country in the mountains. Sure, I might come home empty handed, but that's why they call it hunting and not shooting.

Av