Idaho OTC Archery. Bannock or Pioneer?

Jae7675

FNG
I was just curious if anyone had any input on which of these 2 would be the best bet?

Pwells10

WKR
Pioneer- wolves, rough country, a lot of area, not as much people

Bannock- little to no wolves, easier country, a lot of private, a lot of people

Pioneer- wolves, rough country, a lot of area, not as much people

Bannock- little to no wolves, easier country, a lot of private, a lot of people

At this point I'd expect as many people in the Pioneer honestly, but both can be crowded. Elk densities in the Bannock would be the main barrier to me. The guys I know that hunt it have scouted a bunch and know of random little pockets that hold elk and how they evolve constantly evolve. I've never put the time in myself and would think it would be real difficult without significant local knowledge and scouting.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I know guys who kill elk every year in Bannock, but they know where the elk are. That unit has pockets of elk. Pioneer zone can be a zoo depending on where you go. Maybe things will even out in 2021 when they start spreading pressure on the zones, but this year could be another free-for-all

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jae7675

FNG
Thanks for the input. We will be hunting the Bannock Zone. Aside from countless hours e scouting I plan to come out from Ohio this summer to scout for 3-4 days. We have set aside 2 weeks to hunt. Hopefully I can find one of those pockets you all are talking about.

OP
J

Jae7675

FNG
Well if I come out 2 weeks before opening and they move then so be it. We also plan on being there 3 days early to look around also.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Better make sure you know where you are, keep your OnX up to date

Pwells10

WKR
At this point I'd expect as many people in the Pioneer honestly, but both can be crowded. Elk densities in the Bannock would be the main barrier to me. The guys I know that hunt it have scouted a bunch and know of random little pockets that hold elk and how they evolve constantly evolve. I've never put the time in myself and would think it would be real difficult without significant local knowledge and scouting.
Everywhere is getting crowded now haha. I agree to a point. Last year my cousin hunted it and it was jamb packed with elk. Bulls bugling everywhere. Killed a good 6x7 at the end.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Everywhere is getting crowded now haha. I agree to a point. Last year my cousin hunted it and it was jamb packed with elk. Bulls bugling everywhere. Killed a good 6x7 at the end.
Ain't that the truth. Be interesting to see what hunter numbers look like this year from a NR participation perspective. This Covid nonsense has changed a lot of plans.

Pwells10

WKR
Ain't that the truth. Be interesting to see what hunter numbers look like this year from a NR participation perspective. This Covid nonsense has changed a lot of plans.

For sure! I had a buddy from Michigan turn his tag in because of this.

mwebs

WKR
First time elk hunter, googled Bannock because numbers looked ok on IDFG and Gohunt. Found this thread, some dude that some dude knows shot a good bull there hell yea I'm going! Can't wait to start my thread on what areas of that zone hold elk, definitely not looking for honey holes!!! Will accept PMs!!!!!!

OP
J

Jae7675

FNG
I think a good indication of what NR numbers will look like everywhere will be when Wyoming releases the “unsold” first draw general tag numbers.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
Having not drawn WY gen tag (again), I doubt many left over tags. But willing to be wrong. 🙂