Idaho OTC Deer Unit 15/16

King68

FNG
Any information on hunting this area would be helpful. Coming up from Nevada, taking my dad (who has active cancer, taking oral chemo), so he will not be in very good physical shape. He's a retired Army Ranger so he will push himself to the limit (I want to avoid him doing that!). We will be hunting out of the SxS mostly. My dad has always wanted to do a western hunt, just moved out here from Florida. Don't know how much longer he's going to be around, so if anyone would be willing to share a spot or the name of a landowner that would permit us to hunt their land, it would be greatly appreciated. Headed up to scout next weekend (8/14-17), plan on hunting 10/10-17. Thanks guys.

It would probably be beneficial if you could wait until later in the season. Early October makes for tougher whitetail hunting in these parts.

OP
King68

King68

FNG
It would probably be beneficial if you could wait until later in the season. Early October makes for tougher whitetail hunting in these parts.

I was thinking earlier would be better due to pressure. I didn't think we would be able to catch the rut with an OTC tag, season ends Nov 3rd. But our dates a flexible, so if later is better I appreciate your input.

I guess I should have clarified if you have a regular deer tag or whitetail tag( both are otc). October 10th is the general elk season opener in the Elk City zone, so there will be that pressure to think about.

OP
King68

King68

FNG
I guess I should have clarified if you have a regular deer tag or whitetail tag( both are otc). October 10th is the general elk season opener in the Elk City zone, so there will be that pressure to think about.

We have regular tags, although my dad has a JR/DAV tag, so he can take a doe with that as well. Just checked the moon phase and its gonna be full on 10/31, so the last week will be the brightest nights of the season.

87TT

WKR
"JR/DAV tag, so he can take a doe with that as well. " Not sure about that. It doesn't show it in my regs. Looks like you both can.